DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Cut the hardware off the ratchet straps. Tie a loop in one end. Voila - instant tree huggers. Did this for my kids hammocks. The straps were long enough to act as tree huggers and full suspension.

Spend the 25 on a blue walmart pad (<$10) and find a cheap 10x8 tarp at some place like Harbor Freight. If you have $ left over, get some braided mason line from a Home Depot to make guylines.

Cheap, not too heavy and will keep you out of the inclement weather.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Ultralight
    Tarp
    Walmart 8'x10'
    Insulation
    CCF Pad, Blanket
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    Cut the hardware off the ratchet straps. Tie a loop in one end. Voila - instant tree huggers. Did this for my kids hammocks. The straps were long enough to act as tree huggers and full suspension.

Spend the 25 on a blue walmart pad (<$10) and find a cheap 10x8 tarp at some place like Harbor Freight. If you have $ left over, get some braided mason line from a Home Depot to make guylines.

Cheap, not too heavy and will keep you out of the inclement weather.
    Hmm...my ratchet strap *might* be long enough to act as hugger and suspension. That is something I'll have to check when I get home. And, I don't think I'll even have to cut it.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ditto what scum said, but add two whoopie slings. 7/64ths amsteel is about 28 cents a foot so $7 will buy 24 feet or enuf for two 6' whoopies.

After mods, the ratchet straps will be tree hugges, not a full suspension. SO they only need to be 6 - 10 feet.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I just posted up what I do w/ my kids hammocks with ratchet straps (minus the hardware).
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...401#post563401

This method works for my kids setup perfectly. You can always start here and then upgrade to using amsteel woopies with it. Just depends on your strap lengths.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A pad for sure.....I agree that the straps will get you hung but without some under insulation you may have a cold back and buttocks.
    Best to you and have fun......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    My 2 sheckels worth...use your ratchet straps for now...you can worry about better suspension in the spring.

At the moment, you need some insulation. I have to agree with the CCF pad from WallyWorld. One option no one has mentioned is watch the WallyWorld and catch a sleeping bag for $10 and change with free shipping. I for a 40 degree bag last week and modded it into a top quilt. If you don't sew just unzip it about 3/4s of the way down and pull it over. A safety pin can hold the zipper slide in place if it moves too much. The $10 bags are heavy but if you're car camping and weight and bulk aren't an issue...they'll work just fine.

I'll also agree with a cheap blue tarp from WallyWorld...I've modded a few to make them a bit more robust but its not absolutely necessary.

Sounds like for about $25 give or take a couple of bucks you could set yourself up with insulation and cover then save up for suspension later...

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Ultralight
    Tarp
    Walmart 8'x10'
    Insulation
    CCF Pad, Blanket
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, I took the advice of a few of y'all and removed the hardware from the ratchets, and they are working great for suspension. Looks like my focus has shifted to insulation. Off to WallyWorld!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by galroth View Post
    Well, I took the advice of a few of y'all and removed the hardware from the ratchets, and they are working great for suspension. Looks like my focus has shifted to insulation. Off to WallyWorld!
    Oops, I caught this thread too late. I was going to suggest dual-purposing your straps. Since you'll be motorcycle camping, use the ratchet straps to tie your gear down, then when you arrive, use them for your suspension. I find ratchet straps much more secure than bungies...

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    This forum sure is an eclectic collection of folks when it comes to budgets. Some threads talk about electronic devices and phones that cost hundreds of dollars as though they are buying a candy bar. Then there is this where it is very limited. Just an observation about the diversity of the group.

If you can make your whoopies, you will save a bunch of $. Without the sewing machine, straps will be difficult to make. Get a cheapo foam pad for some insulation under you or the dollar store windshield reflectors for the interior can make a big difference. The k-mart blue tarp as well offers some inexpensive protection. Occasionally you will find a sleeping bag to use as a TQ at Goodwill or some other variation there of.

Site selection will be important as the tarp will not take a lot of wind. Most importantly, just do what you gotta do to get out there. We all start somewhere.

I remember fondly my early canoe trips 40 years ago with my gear in garbage bags as my "waterproof" packing. It truly is the journey.
    This is a nice suggestion for a budget set up. I don't have a ton of dough to spend either since I am a grad student. DIY what you can!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12