Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    BER,
    I have been playing with altering my original diy grizz bridge. I figured since it wasn't cosmetically elegant enough to sell that I would sew up tthe bottom of the hammock to see what ratio would work well for me. My spreader bars were 36" and 28" per grizz's design and I have altered my ratio a few inches at a time down to the 1.15 that you are using. I weight in at ~175lbs and the easton poles have handled that ratio and my weight just fine.

The problem I am having is by altering the material arc to that ratio it is getting too shallow and in the middle too narrow. My bug screen is a little close for comfort and in the middle the material doesn't come up over the sides of my midsection so the bug screen is up against me in places. I had planned on going to going to 39" and 30" spreader bars and decreasing my depth of the side arc from 7.5" to 6" like yours. Hopefully that will be just enough to fit better in the middle and work better with the bug screen.

The 1.15 is definately more comfortable. I have slept on my stomach in my Grizz style bridges in the past for an hour or so at a time, but couldn't take it for longer periods. I think I can sleep on my stomach with the new ratio. Tippiness has increased, but surprizingly less than I thought it would. What has changed with the tippiness is that I don't sit as beep in the bridge so there is less material on the sides to grab or lean against.

I have my carbon fiber poles on order and will start bridge number 3 soon. Hopefully this is my last bridge for me anyway.

Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by egrant5329 View Post
    My spreader bars were 36" and 28" per grizz's design and I have altered my ratio a few inches at a time down to the 1.15 that you are using.
    I'm currently looking at this same thing. Can you also tell us what your fabric end lengths and triangle lengths are?

The 1.15 is definately more comfortable. I have slept on my stomach in my Grizz style bridges in the past for an hour or so at a time, but couldn't take it for longer periods. I think I can sleep on my stomach with the new ratio.
    Ed, if you get the chance to do a quick nap hang, I'd love to hear the results of your stomach sleep. . .

Thanks for the info!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    My original grizz header cut was 55" and foot cut was 47" and after rolling the material the header arc was 53". My length was 72". My triangles sides are 75% of the spreader bar length.

I laid around in my hammock this afternoon and with the new 1.15 ratio it is too narrow to sleep on my stomach. The problem is that I need to lay my arms down my side to lay on my stomach and it's not wide enough to be comfortable since it is barely wide enough for my waist. This also is a problem on my side because I can't bring my knees up too far or they hang over the edge. I believe it is now ~23.5" at it's most narrow spot and was ~34" before I sewed it up.

On my next hammock I was planning on using 39" and 30" bars, but I am concerned it will still be too narrow in the middle. If I am doing my math correctly the arc length will be ~30 in the middle now if I use a 6" cat cut instead of a 7.5". I'm 68" tall and I thought it was tight enough in the middle before.

Perhaps keeping the 1.15 ratio at the head and going with something like a 1.25 at the foot might help a bit.

Before I start cutting and sewing I'll think on this one a bit more. Unfortunately I already ordered my spreader bars precut.
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    egrant, I'm a newbie to bridge hammocks, but I've been fortunate enough to try the Cloud, and I have some questions about dimensions. I'm about the same height as you, and I find the 80" length of the Cloud excellent. I wonder about the advisability of shortening your next bridge to 72".

Also, is the ~23.5" narrow measurement a typo?

Keep posting your experiments. Bridges remain a mystery to me, and all the info you supply will help clear the fog.

My original grizz header cut was 55" and foot cut was 47" and after rolling the material the header arc was 53". My length was 72". My triangles sides are 75% of the spreader bar length.

I laid around in my hammock this afternoon and with the new 1.15 ratio it is too narrow to sleep on my stomach. The problem is that I need to lay my arms down my side to lay on my stomach and it's not wide enough to be comfortable since it is barely wide enough for my waist. This also is a problem on my side because I can't bring my knees up too far or they hang over the edge. I believe it is now ~23.5" at it's most narrow spot and was ~34" before I sewed it up.

On my next hammock I was planning on using 39" and 30" bars, but I am concerned it will still be too narrow in the middle. If I am doing my math correctly the arc length will be ~30 in the middle now if I use a 6" cat cut instead of a 7.5". I'm 68" tall and I thought it was tight enough in the middle before.

Perhaps keeping the 1.15 ratio at the head and going with something like a 1.25 at the foot might help a bit.

Before I start cutting and sewing I'll think on this one a bit more. Unfortunately I already ordered my spreader bars precut.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Egrant, I am with VW. You and I are the same height. I went with 72 on my first bridge and found that my head touched the single layer end caps. This will spell disaster in mosquito season trough a single layer. On my most recent BridgeZilla i went with 80'' and couldn't be happier. Good luck with the 1.15 ratio. Looking at BERs hammocks it looks to tight for me. Looks like with that ratio it brings the ends up causing a slight banana shape.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    WV,
    Nope not a typo on the middle width. The spreader bar at the head is 36, the spreader bar at the foot is 28", so if you draw a straight line between them it in the middle it would be ~32". Then allow 7.5" on each side for the cat cut which pulls toward the center when you put weight in it and it gets pretty narrow. From the orriginal grizz measurements I had taken ~11" of material out for entire length of the hammock. The end result was very narrow and flat.

My 1st bridge was 76" and I found it too long, I shortened my second to 74" and the length is perfect for me at 5"8". I meant to write 74", but for some reason typed 72. I'll let you know if 72" is too short as I ran with that number instead of 74" today when I started my 3rd bridge. (very irritating when I screw up) My endcaps generally have deep pockets so I could throw stuff in them and this gives me a little spare room too. The longer your hammock is the farther your shoulders will be from the spreader bars as you migrate to the middle. In the end it is what ever works for you.

I just hope my carbon fiber spreader bars can take the shallowness of the 3rd hammock.
    We'll see!
    Ed
    I
    Ed

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double , Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    Looks Great, Nice work!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I just tried the 72" and it is shorter than I would like, but works with no room to spare. For me either the 74" or the 76" are better lengths. The good news is that the 30" segmented carbonfiber spreader bar on the foot worked, however, I am not convinced the 39" will at the header. I have to make a longer triangle before I can try it. I may post the results later i I get it done tonight.
    Ed

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    beautiful bridge, nice job.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234