Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Looking forward to that CF update. my spreaders are 10.2oz, head spreader is a steel broom handle 41" long and foot spreader is solid CF rod 31" long. The CF rod only weights 2.1oz but at the head end the CF rod isn't stiff enough and flexs a lot.
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by vinnya42 View Post
    Looking forward to that CF update. my spreaders are 10.2oz, head spreader is a steel broom handle 41" long and foot spreader is solid CF rod 31" long. The CF rod only weights 2.1oz but at the head end the CF rod isn't stiff enough and flexs a lot.
    What diameter CF rod are you using?

The CF I chose today was:
    Inner diam: 0.5"
    Outer diam: 0.56"
    Wall thickness: 0.03"
    Wt: 0.034#/ft
    Length: 72"

After looking at multiple sites (including the Easton site for the specs on the 0.625" alum tubes similar to what I am using now), I felt this best approximated what I was using already, while giving me a length that could be cut to two spreaders without much waste, and for the most reasonable price ($32 + shipping). End tips may be a bit of a problem, but I am going to see if I can make some 0.433" end tips work with some tape wrapping.

If the specs are on, and my math is correct, a pair of spreaders (69" total) would weigh ~3.2oz + tips.

Hopefully, I did not choose......poorly.
    Last edited by BER; 10-10-2011 at 13:15.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Mine CF rod comes from Homedepot. it is a rod used to mark the edge of a curb for snow removal, so they don't run over the curb in deep snow.

Are you sure it will be stiff enough those CF hollow rods are strong but do flex quite a bit. even the solid rod flexes a little at the foot end but I am guessing to will work. When i tested on the head end (41") I could flex it into a bow shape with my hands.

Good luck.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by vinnya42 View Post
    Are you sure it will be stiff enough those CF hollow rods are strong but do flex quite a bit. even the solid rod flexes a little at the foot end but I am guessing to will work.
    I don't honestly know.

I am not sure of the manufacturer of Quest 0.626" aluminum tubes, but the Easton site specs their 0.625" external diameter tubes as having a wall thickness of 0.038".

One CF manufacturer's site indicated that the unidirectional CF tubes are ~1.4-1.5x stiffer than aluminum poles with similar specs. Another CF site put the tensile modulus (ie stiffness) of CF between that of aluminum and steel, but was not specific about tubes, rods, plates, etc. As a non-mathlete I am HOPING that despite the CF tubes being slightly smaller diameter and slightly thinner wall thickness, that the additional inherent stiffness (if I understood correctly) will make up for it.

Guess I will find out. Could be a costly mistake. Will let you know when they arrive.
    Last edited by BER; 10-10-2011 at 13:48.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Please do I am starting my bridge off your specs this week...very excited!

Vince

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Flat/wide across the shoulders, not terribly tippy, and good views
    Am still struggling with trying to figure out the best dimensions for accomplishing a stomach sleep. Do you find that you can sleep on your stomach with these dimensions, or do you still get too much shoulder squeeze?

Also, which quest poles did you use?

Thanks,

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    Am still struggling with trying to figure out the best dimensions for accomplishing a stomach sleep. Do you find that you can sleep on your stomach with these dimensions, or do you still get too much shoulder squeeze?

Also, which quest poles did you use?
    Sorry SteelerNation, I haven't tried to sleep on my stomach. I am not a stomach sleeper normally...

The spreaders for this bridge were 0.625" from Quest. The head end has two #4060 and one #4061, and the foot has one #4060 and one #4061. The tubes were cut to size with a hacksaw. The 4 end tips are item #4032. For reference sake, I weight ~190#.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Great looking hammock BER!!

Couple of questions for you:

How did you come up with the dimensions? Is there a formula for the sag created between the spreader bar and fabric width to get a flat lay?

I want to make a Bedroom Bridge for full timing. I'm thinking maybe 60" at the head end Will a couple of broom handles be strong enough?

Has anone given thought to the way the Chrysalis uses a SRL and hangs the hammock from that? Seems to me it really lowers the tippines and makes hanging easy. When I use an inflated pad it raises the CoG and really changes the tippiness level I find, might be worse on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post

How did you come up with the dimensions? Is there a formula for the sag created between the spreader bar and fabric width to get a flat lay?

I want to make a Bedroom Bridge for full timing. I'm thinking maybe 60" at the head end Will a couple of broom handles be strong enough?

Has anone given thought to the way the Chrysalis uses a SRL and hangs the hammock from that? Seems to me it really lowers the tippines and makes hanging easy. When I use an inflated pad it raises the CoG and really changes the tippiness level I find, might be worse on yours.
    Thanks Danalex.
    Check out this thread, specifically post #6, regarding a comparison of dimensions of the Chrysalis, one of Grizz's bridge and a couple of my DIYs.

I put a ridge line on my last bridge, but it is not structural. Interesting idea...might play with that.

Don't know what to say regarding the broom handles without seeing them. If you think they will work, they probably will. Hang low and sit slowly the first time, just in case.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post

SN
    I am a stomach sleeper and use a Grizz-like bridge. I haven't found a way to sleep on my stomach, but will be trying some things out soon and will pot what I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post

Has anone given thought to the way the Chrysalis uses a SRL and hangs the hammock from that? Seems to me it really lowers the tippiness and makes hanging easy. When I use an inflated pad it raises the CoG and really changes the tippiness level I find, might be worse on yours.
    I can't recall the dimensions off the top of my head, though they are somewhere in those long bridge posts from years past. I'm sure Griz has them handy. There is a lot of play in the numbers - so you can work out what you want. It would be easy to decrease the tippiness by using slightly wider fabric or shorter bars. I use a down air mat with no tippiness problem - YMMV.

The broom handles will probably work. I've use hardwood dowels (5/8"?) and bamboo (1/2") with success.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast