WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Phil,

Nice report. What temp did it get down to? When you posted that you were heading that way I looked at the weather, didn't look hopeful for less than 10C

How are the feet and are things improving with the boots?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by photohiker View Post
    Hey Phil,

Nice report. What temp did it get down to? When you posted that you were heading that way I looked at the weather, didn't look hopeful for less than 10C

How are the feet and are things improving with the boots?
    Hi Photohiker.

Thanks.
    The temp didn't get down very low. It was actually warmer at Mt Walsh than it was back at home. Coldest it got down to was a very pleasant 17 degrees celcius. I slept in the hammock with the burrow used as a blanket, a couple times I had to remove the burrow to cool down a bit.

Feet slowly getting better. Both my toe nails are still black and blue, the right toe is mending fine, but not so the left. The toe nail is slowly coming off. At least it's not sore anymore. Boots are still a pain. Left boot much better since getting them stretched at the local cobbler, but I don't think he did a very good job on the right boot. It's still way to tight around my toes, particularly my big toe. Will need to take back to cobbler tomorrow and see if he can stretch them out more around my toes. I still got blisters on my heel on this hike. I've stopped wearing boots of any sore for the past couple of weeks to give my heels time to heal. Hopefully this will help in stopping the blisters on my heels.

I don't know what is going on with the blisters on my heel. I've tried tight fitting boots, and slightly loose fitting boots, even straps and 2 pairs of socks, still got the blisters.

These boots I have now are a last resort. If I can not get them to fit, I'm going back to hiking with sandles as I used to in my 20's.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm bought up on a farm. Spent most of my life walking in bare feet. Never worn shoes on the farm. My feet got so tough after a while, that nothing would hurt them. My feet are wide and I have large toes. Used to run on bitumen middle of summer and never felt a thing on my feet. I don't live on the farm anymore. My feet have gone all soft on me. It's painfull now walking on rocks with bare feet. Just wish there was a pair of shoes that fit me and not cause me grief. I've even hiked in Crocs, but when it rains my feet suffer in crocs.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thank you very much for sharing your part of heavan!
    I have to ask though, did you see any snakes?
    I'm always hoping one of the Australians will post a pic of a huge Tiger snake!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great report. Glad to see the gear is working great for you... Keep the vids coming!!!

Hammock
    Clark nx150
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post

the Australian Tiger Snake is so deadly that even a photo of one can cause injury or death!!!!!

frankie

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Thanks MedicineMan. No, did not see any snakes this time.

Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Nice trip report Philip,

sounds like the weather was pretty ideal and looks like you're happy with your setup, very comfy and with a 17*C minimum no wonder the 20*F burrow was too warm .

15kg isn't too bad really, my usual load is about 18kg's and thats with about 4 of camera gear so we're pretty similar (my base weight is about 10kg).

Pity about you feet though, it sounds like they are a bit of a mess, I've had similar problems finding boots that agree with my broad feet and I've now gone back to my army issue GP's for bushbashing walks, they're well worn in and I don't have any problems with blisters or discomfort even when its wet. Most of the time though, 75%, I wear a pair of canvas Dunlop Volleys, they're not the most durable shoes (what would you expect for $45) but I like the fact that they are so comfortable (I find shoes with inbuilt arches make my feet ache after a very short time whereas the Volleys are flat inside and I can walk in them all day with no problems). Don't get sold by the marketing hype of all the brands out there... I also always try and keep my toenails clipped before going out too because theres nothing worse than walking downhill and kicking your toes inside your boots, that sucks.

I've actually been looking for a pair of sturdy gaiters to wear with my volleys though because they don't offer a lot of protection against scrubby undergrowth or bitey things like snakes and I can gaurantee that our snakes are awake and up and about for the summer as I had a close encounter with two brown's yesterday in the space of ten minutes. I was doing some soil tests for work which entails digging some holes by hand and taking some samples for the lab and the banging of the shovel into the ground must have attracted one which came right up to me whilst I wasn't looking and stopped about an arms length away behind me. I turned around to pick up a plastic bag and got a huge shock to see a 1.5 metre snake just looking at me. The thing wasn't frightened at all by my presence, seemed more curious than anything but when I jumped back it appeared like it was going to strike for a second and then just turned around around and slithered off. I had to throw a stick at it to help it on its way. Thought I'd add that as the grassy track you were on looked super snakey

Nice vid too by the way.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Some great views there Philipsart,
    I'm going to have to use google earth to see where exactly the location is...
    the name of the National Park doesn't ring a bell.
    Nice area though. A naked nymph an unexspected bonus !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Some great views there Philipsart,
    I'm going to have to use google earth to see where exactly the location is...
    the name of the National Park doesn't ring a bell.
    Nice area though. A naked nymph an unexspected bonus !
    Thanks ofuros.
    Mt Walsh National Park is a bit of a secret spot, that not to many realise just how beautiful it is. It's all off track hiking, so you do have to be careful and well prepared, although mobile phone coverage appears to be very good.

Yes, I nice bonus view on the way back to vehicle. to top off the great views for the past day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast