DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Fortunately or unfortunately, they're not that little anymore. Oldest is 18 and about 2 inches shorter than me, youngest is 14, about the same height as her sister but a little bit stockier - they need adult-size stuff now days for the most part. I'll probably end up making quilts of some sort for them after Christmas. If I can get them down to 40-45 degrees they'll be fine...I'm the one that likes to sleep outside when its cold. Besides, they dig stuff that dad makes more than store-bought stuff - we raised 'em right!
    Way cool! Kids that like home-made (dad-made) stuff are raised right for sure.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice job dad!

I'd check the sales... you can sometimes find a decent mummy cheap... they're almost TQ's already!

My local big-5 sporting goods has synthetic mummy bags for $30-$40. Cut out the zipper, cut off the hood... Done...

I found my down mummy (now a TQ) on e-bay for $45...

Your other option, Since they don't like the cold, is to make your own TQ: http://www.instructables.com/id/Mult...Camping-Quilt/

Some cheap ripstop, some fleece, and some insulation and you have a warm 40-or better quilt... so If I had to guess cost:
    2.33 yds ripstop = $10
    2.33 yds fleece = $10
    2.33yds insul-brite or pellon insul-fleece = $16

$36, cheaper if you get multiple Joann's coupons and buy the stuff at 40% off over a couple of days... plus thread and a couple of hours... You might find the TQ warmer and lighter than a cheap coleman bag...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Nice job dad!

Your other option, Since they don't like the cold, is to make your own TQ: http://www.instructables.com/id/Mult...Camping-Quilt/

Some cheap ripstop, some fleece, and some insulation and you have a warm 40-or better quilt... so If I had to guess cost:
    2.33 yds ripstop = $10
    2.33 yds fleece = $10
    2.33yds insul-brite or pellon insul-fleece = $16

$36, cheaper if you get multiple Joann's coupons and buy the stuff at 40% off over a couple of days... plus thread and a couple of hours... You might find the TQ warmer and lighter than a cheap coleman bag...

Its not that they don't like cold, I just suspect the amount of time they'll actually spend camping at temps below 40 or so will be pretty limited.

Funny you mention the Camping Quilt instructable. I made one a while back from your instructions using just fleece and ripstop for the summer months and love it...forgot all about the possibility of adding additional insulation to it...will have to give that some serious thought.

My immediate concern is an underquilt for Ashley, our oldest, as she's uncomfortable on a wallyworld pad. Jenna, our youngest seems to handle the pad just fine. I'd really like to make a TQ/UQ set for each of them for Christmas (not going to be easy keeping that a surprise since I do most of my work on the kitchen table). Am I safe assuming if I made a full length UQ with fleexe/Insul-Brite combination it would likely still be fairly comfortable around 40? (yeah, I know, depends on the person) Even if they do end up camping out in colder weather occasionally we can always add some warm clothing to get them through.
    Last edited by Steve D; 11-09-2011 at 11:35.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Funny you mention the Camping Quilt instructable. I made one a while back from your instructions using just fleece and ripstop for the summer months and love it...forgot all about the possibility of adding additional insulation to it...will have to give that some serious thought.
    Holy Cow, somebody actually read that?!?

Am I safe assuming if I made a full length UQ with fleexe/Insul-Brite combination it would likely still be fairly comfortable around 40? (yeah, I know, depends on the person) Even if they do end up camping out in colder weather occasionally we can always add some warm clothing to get them through.
    I sleep COLD... so... I use a 30-degree quilt and am happy at 40...

Have you considered the No-Sew Poncho liner option? Those work down into the 40's, add a layer of insul-brite, insul-fleece, IX, and you should be OK at 40-ish...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Have you considered the No-Sew Poncho liner option? Those work down into the 40's, add a layer of insul-brite, insul-fleece, IX, and you should be OK at 40-ish...
    Yeah, that possibility has been rattling around in my head too. I really like my Sew-Up PLUQ but sometimes I wish it was a little longer (its between 2/3 and 3/4 length). But...since I haven't had any real difficulties keeping my feet warm, except for one night when I was really pushing its limits anyway, thats a good option. Fairly inexpensive too...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Various pads
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Great idea and description on the sleeping bag TQ, Steve. Like your $$$-saving inclination, too. This has given me some ideas and incentive. Looking forward to seeing more of your DIY projects. Keep up the good work!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123