BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    Now correct me if wrong if the liner is not breathable what would be the positive and negative effects. I plan to conduct more research on heat conduction hELP ME OUT ON THIS EVERYONE.
    for me and for the conditions that I normally camp in, humidity is a huge concern. Summers here are Hot and very humid. I sometimes camp next to the Cape Fear River and then I get moisture/fog rolling off the river at night. Winter, it's still humid, just now it's cold too. Last year I camped in 17 degree temps but the humidity made it feel even colder. So because of this, I elected to make my down quilts with silnylon on the top and bottom to keep moisture from getting to the down. What I found when I used these quilts was that my body caused the side of the quilt that was next to me, to feel very clammy and wet. I did not like it. I then tried attaching a layer of very thin silk to that side of the quilt. The silk will absorb any moisture comeing from me and I'm able to sleep dry. The next morning, the silk drys very fast.
    So I decided to make new quilts using silnylon on the outside (side away from my body) and using a breathable nylon on the side towards my body. I made a winter top quilt like this and it's worked out very well. Moisture is most likely going into the down at night while I sleep but I can't see/feel any difference. I do use a piece of silk inside the hammock around my head. This tends to keep my head warm and any moisture from my breathing, goes into the silk. I was gonna make a bottom quilt like this but medical issues and the over all hassle I found with working with down caused me to order one from LeighLo. (I just ordered this so I can't comment yet on this).
    I've been using top down quilts since 2007 and down bottom quilts since about 2009 and every camping trip is a bit different with them. Changing hammocks and/or changing tarps changes how my quilts work. And I'm always testing in the backyard.
    These are observations I've found for my gear and for the conditions of where I live. Hope it helps some,

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    my UQ is a modified nanatuk down bag. I sewed a .33 Cuben sheet on the underside.never had any condensation probs. It helps to protect the underside of the UQ. Can not understand why I should get any down dampening at all. . the water vapor rises and should not affect the down. I have used it for a couple years with no bad effects that I know of.. gnome

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    This is a great thread with some good info in it. I have a winter phoenix cuben inner/7D outer on order. I am very excited about my new quilt coming but as mentioned in this thread I am a little bit concerned about the sweaty back.

Even though wetness wont seep into the down because cuben protects it. I am worried about my back sweat dampening my hammock. Has any one had problems with this. I keep going back and forth between a cuben inner or a 7D inner. I dont know how to decide
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Does anyone know if Adam is making a 7d inner and outer quilt? Will it be down proof enough, strong enough by itself without the backing of cuben? Is there really that much of a weight savings?

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    On my last trip (MAHHA prehike) I placed my slightly damp clothes (a pair of wool socks and a sleeveless synthetic) in between my cuben lined UQ and my hammock.

Went to sleep feeling a little dampness on my hammock, woke up with the clothes dry.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Does anyone know if Adam is making a 7d inner and outer quilt? Will it be down proof enough, strong enough by itself without the backing of cuben? Is there really that much of a weight savings?
    Upon custom order Adam is making 7D Burrow's. For his UQ's he said using 7D for the inner shell wold be fine but not so effective for the outer shell. He suggested 1.1 or M55 for the outer shell. This had to do with the DWR rating of the 7D. As for down proof I think it will be fine and like any UL material you just have to show it some TLC. And weight saving it saves weight but only the individual can decide if saving the xtra grams from the lighter material is worth sending the xtra cash.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i'm experimenting with cuben inner / 7D outer uq.

adam did say the dwr of the 7D outer shell uq's is
    not as good...

however, a main concern was how well one knows how to hang a
    tarp for protection. there is an accepted learning curve to using UL
    gear, and a big part of hammocking is choosing a good site, and
    hanging your tarp right. its all about knowing how to prevent
    the wetness.

i feel confident in my abilities gained- so wanted to learn about
    how this new stuff performs.

very awesome quilts by the way. weird seeing all that down float
    around in the chambers.
    "Jeff-Becking"