Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Towellie View Post
    Why does everyone insist as using a biner as a toggle?
    I don't. I don't carry biners when I hike (maybe a small S-biner, but not a big one). I still use a toggle...probably not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Towellie View Post
    This can never happen with Nick's Clip Hitch.
    I know him...I hike and kayak with him all the time. He still uses a toggle too!

I think this whole conversation is over-emphasizing the occurrence of the loop slipping off the toggle, and I've never seen a toggle 'fall out'. It doesn't really happen if the hammock has any weight in it and you paid any attention when setting it up. It would be possible to mis-tie the clip hitch as well....

If you like the clip hitch, you should use it. The functional demonstration from the video works just like a marlinspike hitch as far as setting up and breaking down quickly.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I want to emphasize that this thread was NOT started because I don't like toggles or because I do like 'biners. In fact the thread originally had nothing to do with 'biners.

I was just starting a conversation about multi-function toggles.

'biners are certainly a good option for a multi-function toggle (used as a true toggle or as a 'biner) but I think there are other options too (as listed in the OP).

Sean

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    things I have learned using toggles. in the situation of a big tree, you need atleast an extra 8" - 12" of strap to make the knot for the toggle. Of course that's where extenders come into play, but then you have to find sticks to place under the extender so it doesn't damamge the tree. That's the only situation I see carabiners being better than toggles. I went back to using carabiners for that reason but 90% of the time still use them like toggles, so I think I'm switching back and just risk it.

Hammock
    DIY PoorBird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    There is more than likely an endless amount of creative lightweight toggles out there good for plenty of fun (salt and pepper shakers whould be great LOL). But my problem with toggles like sticks and arrow shafts (even grinded down edges) is that if they rub your tarp you could have some major problems scratching holes! Anyone had this happen? happened to me on my original tarp. Ever since then I use carabiners. No edges and just as lightweight as arrow toggles.

I can't tell from the video what type of knot that Nick is using for his hitch---can anyone clarify that?

Thanks,

geoff

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Looks like a standard MSH. I actually agree with Towellie on this one...I saw his setup at the KC Area hang, and I've had some worries about the whoopie slipping over the knot when I toss and turn in my hammock.

I've picked up two more lightweight climbing biners and replaced my toggles with these. No more risk of it slipping over because I failed to check it or because I tossed and turned enough to bounce something around.

I just make the MSH as normal, and open and run the biner through the MSH just as if it were a toggle. Then I attach the whoopie into the biner. Done. Weight difference between the biner and a toggle is minimal, but the feeling of being a bit safer is 'priceless'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12