Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Patents

Images

Patents

Someone posted a link to a patent using Google's patent search and I was impressed at how well that worked compared to what I had used before. I spent hours looking through hammock related patents and found some dozzies. I found an interesting recent patent and then I went back and looked starting from the oldest patents. I didn't get far, I have no idea how many there are or how long it would take to check them all out. Obviously the old ones have expired and aren't enforced anymore, but they should establish prior art. There is tons of prior art, I'm amazed at how much was done with hammocks in the 1800s and early 1900s (that is as far as I have gotten). Anyway, here are a few that should create interest for some of us.

A ridgeline on a 1898 patent http://www.google.com/patents?id=3Rx...ad=0_1#PPP1,M1

A bottom entry on a 1913 patent http://www.google.com/patents?id=GoM...BAJ&dq=1077229

A straight spine hammock from 1898 http://www.google.com/patents?id=GnZFAAAAEBAJ&dq=717119

A level hammock with cross braces from 2006 http://www.google.com/patents?id=Oi1...BAJ&dq=7020915
    Last edited by Youngblood; 04-18-2008 at 10:18. Reason: spelling
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well - funny how history repeats itself - the Bridge Hammock was actually invented long ago and patented on Dec. 30, 1902.

The straight spine hammock pointed to above.

I wonder if the recent spate of hammock patents and patent applications have fully cited the examples Dave found. It might be useful to point the patent office to their own archives.
    Last edited by TiredFeet; 04-18-2008 at 11:25.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That rocks. I have never been able to get the normal patent search method to work correctly. I never could view pictures and drawings and sometimes text would cut off half way down the page. The Google links you provided look and function great. Google is so awesome. Should've bought some stock when I could have afforded it.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    does this mean I can make and sell whatever?

(hopes of sinister laughter)
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    That rocks. I have never been able to get the normal patent search method to work correctly. I never could view pictures and drawings and sometimes text would cut off half way down the page. The Google links you provided look and function great. Google is so awesome. Should've bought some stock when I could have afforded it.
    I had the same problem you mention with the USPTO search, plus it was very slow. Google just zips along, but I haven't tried putting specific search words in so it may not be all it seems to be?

These very old patents are scanned images, I don't believe a word search would flag anything from them. I'm guessing it would take lots of looking through the documents like I did to find things and I don't know how far I got relative to how many related patents are out there. I would hate to think what the legal fees would be for someone doing it the way I was doing it. I just got interested in what was showing up and couldn't quit. Every idea I have had about hammock stands seemed to have been done in several ways, and then a few dozen more. I would have thought every house in America would have had 2 or 3 hammocks in them by 1900 from all the patents I saw.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

thanks!

Youngblood-
    thanks for doing the digging and pointing these out. I find the patent stuff really interesting, and am looking forward a time when I have the time to go through the claims carefully.

btw, the other day when I was sniffing patent stuff with respect to a question Gunn Parker had, I stumbled across a patent awarded in 2007 on a modular superstructure for supporting multiple hammocks.

Now there's a hammock stand.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    the one with the ridgeline is indeed very interesting, i wonder how hh could have patented it, and why the uspto can't even find prior art that they themselves issued in the past? that one could have some ramifications i think.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Now there's a hammock stand.

Grizz
    I saw that one too. Have you seen this one?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    I saw that one too. Have you seen this one?

That's cool. Where was the pic taken.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast