The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Ok, scratch that last comment, I will get a picture of my method either today if I have time in the middle of getting ready or this week on my camping trip
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That's odd -- the knot I tied last night, which held while I slept, put me right on the gorund when I went out to read.

???

Go with the MSH because that's what I got to work this evening.

???

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    This is the cleanest example of tieing the MSH that I found in a quick search - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinespike_hitch

I do normally end up with the "Undesirable capsized form". May be unavoidable given the tension applied by a hammock.
    Could someone provide a link or image of this "undesirable capsized form" of the Marlin Spike Hitch? I don't understand how it happens or what it is, and I've read a few comments that this is something I need to watch out for. Thanks.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    Could someone provide a link or image of this "undesirable capsized form" of the Marlin Spike Hitch? I don't understand how it happens or what it is, and I've read a few comments that this is something I need to watch out for. Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure I was just making up a term when I made that post.

Basically, what I was saying is that in the evening, I will tie the MSH and then place the whoopie loop around it normally - loop behind the spike and then over the knot of the MSH.

In the morning, the strap between the tree and MSH will often have twisted so the MSH is either upside down or the spike is now vertical. The only problem this really presents is it might make it easier for the whoopie loop to slip off. I have never had it fall off and drop my hammock, but on subsequent nights, I have found the whoopie loop to be half way off the MSH/spike.

I have found that by using the tail of the tree hugger to make a simple overhand loop around the whoopie loop, it will not allow the whoopie loop to open up enough to slip off.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I'm pretty sure I was just making up a term when I made that post.
    Thanks for clarifying, Alamosa, although this link from Wikipedia says, "When it does capsize into a traditional noose it can jam against the rod, making it much more difficult to release.

I do not understand this "capsizing" that wikipedia refers to. I will upload pictures, as to what I think wikipedia means:

Is this what Wikipedia means by "capsized"? I'm only guessing, because I do not know. Wouldn't the second picture be inevitable in using a carabiner the way Towellie describes in his original post? How does one avoid this capsization? Thanks.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    OK, I see what they are calling capsized (backwards, upside-down, etc.). Take a close look at the pictures, specifically where the two sides of the strap goes at the toggle.

In the first picture, one end goes into the knot and the other goes to the tree. It can not release without breaking the strap or coming loose from the tree.

In the second picture, one side again goes into the knot, but the other side is the tail of the tree hugger. It is not attached to anything, so other than the friction of the knot, there is nothing keeping it from slipping through and releasing the spike.

The first example is made by making a loop and folding in towards the tree. The second is made by making the loop and folding it away from the tree - capsized.

Does that make sense?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine turn sideways but as long as the whoopee is on the knot and not on the toggle...it bites in and stays after a load has been put on it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Just to throw it in the mix... I use a Munter (Italian) hitch on my carabiner, with a slipped stopper (just the one, unlike the video... that's for the paranoid!).
    https://youtu.be/IslYcjJ-htI
    Quick to hitch, adjust, and undo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011