Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Sleeping bag to TQ...suggestions..?

I think I am going to convert my EMS Mountain Light 20 down bag into a TQ. The conversion should be pretty easy. I will measure the width to match HG’s width, shake all the down to one side, sew up the down free side, and repeat for the other side. That should essentially overfill the remaining TQ. I am not sure what the ratings would be, but it would be the same amount of down that was in the original bag but in a smaller, lighter TQ. I will also remove the hood…I am not sure what I will do with that yet… But, I will put a channel in the neck and put a shock cord with a cord lock on it and find some snaps to put on the corners just like the HG TQ. Once all of the seams are sewn, I want to roll hem all of them.

What do you think of the plan? Any opinions, ideas, suggestions from those who have done this before would be appreciated.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Using a sleeping bag as a TQ would be easy without any modification. You just would keep the bag only zipped up to create a sufficient foot box.

However, if the hood was an annoyance you should be able to cut this part off and sew it up. Will also give you some extra down for something like a pillow.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Using a sleeping bag as a TQ would be easy without any modification. You just would keep the bag only zipped up to create a sufficient foot box.

However, if the hood was an annoyance you should be able to cut this part off and sew it up. Will also give you some extra down for something like a pillow.
    I have been using it for a TQ for a while now. I was thinking that converting it to a dedicated UQ might save a little weight and volume in the pack...as well as maybe boosting the rating slightly. Making the hood into a pillow might not be a bad idea. I would have to see how much down is really in the hood.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    I have the same bag and have been thinking about the same modification. IMO the bag rating is exaggerated on it so I would probably rate the new TQ to 20* for me (cold sleeper here though).

For the hood I was thinking about taking it off but leaving it whole and making a 'coif style' hood/hat by adding a ribbon tie or shock cord under the chin.

There is also the zipper baffle along the side with what looks like ~1oz - 2oz of overstuffed down in there. I'm not sure it's worth the effort of dividing it into 28 equal segments to add 1/28oz to each baffle (off the top of my head I think that's the number in the bag). However if it's two oz I think 1/14 oz to each baffle would be worth it. Or possibly I'll make a pillow.

What were your thoughts on the zipper baffle?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    This is my plan for tonight also. I have a Mountain Hardwear Pinhole mummy that I'm attacking tonight for the same reasons you give.although mine is synthetic I will basically be doing the same only it will be alittle funny cutting with the mummy cut and side zip I am sure I can shave off some useless bulk and a few ounces for sure and will look kinda cool stripes - I will take some pics tonight if I don't ruin it

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I will be interested in your results. I am hoping to be able to convert mine during the evenings this week.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a wally world bag that I had cut the zipper off and made into an UQ. Now that I have an UQ I've been thinking about sewing the footbox shut to make it into a TQ. Just haven't figured out exactly how to sew it up yet.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

zipper baffle

I did this mod to an old luxurylite bag. I made a huge mess but the end result turned out OK. The bag is down but the baffle was synthetic. It just seemed too good to waste so I carefully removed it and sewed it back along the top edge once I had cut off the hood. It made a nice, fluffy sort of neck gaiter setup.

The bag I had was divided into 3 sections by some baffles running from head to toe. I had no luck with the overstuffing. This was previously a center zip bag so I guess it was set up that way to prevent the down from shifting to the bottom and being useless. Oh well....it was cheap.

Good luck

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    I have a wally world bag that I had cut the zipper off and made into an UQ. Now that I have an UQ I've been thinking about sewing the footbox shut to make it into a TQ. Just haven't figured out exactly how to sew it up yet.
    Why not make a channel from some 1 1/2" grossgrain ribbon along the bottom edge and put in a drawstring. I have a cheapo wallyworld bag ordered ($10.50 including tax, no shipping) and thats what I planned to do with it. Will probably taper it just a little as well.
    Last edited by Steve D; 09-27-2011 at 07:43.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images

finished it up and am pleased with it -just cut it all up and laid it out (the mummy cut was hard) and pinned the binding all around the edge and sewed it up and then made the footbox and sewed it up a foot -i problaby shaved 1/3 of the weight off

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast