Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Truck Skeeter beater pro
    Suspension
    warbonnet
    I have done this mod in the past but the netting still kind of crowds me a bit. Much better/easier setup than before but... Anyone come up with ideas to improve on the mod?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I just did the Grizz mod on mine a couple months ago. Instead of grosgrain, I used two small squares of Gorilla Tape to sandwich the netting at each end. Then I used my soldering iron to make a small hole in the Gorilla Tape to run the ridgeline through. Then I sewed a perimeter around the Gorilla Tape for reinforcement. Made my ridgeline out of Zing-it with an eye splice at each end.

This mod was much easier than I thought it would be, and it works fantastic!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit, SBP
    Tarp
    bushcraftUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    HG econ 30*
    Suspension
    straps w/ whoopies
    what length are the ridgelines coming out at ????

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by hanging tough View Post
    what length are the ridgelines coming out at ????
    I made mine 105", which is 83% of the hammock length.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber View Post
    I have done this mod in the past but the netting still kind of crowds me a bit. Much better/easier setup than before but... Anyone come up with ideas to improve on the mod?
    What I did with mine was take the elastic loop (for running the shock cord) and tie it to the other elastic loop on the opposite side with a small amount of shock cord- so they are attached to each other. I did this at both ends of my hammock, and it definitely helps with the netting staying off my face. When I get in the hammock, I still have to adjust the netting to make sure the elastic loops are on top of the ridgeline- but it still works pretty well, and is a good improvement overall. Another easy fix is gather the excess netting and attach it to the ridgeline with a clothespin.

I'm not sure why Grand Trunk decided to use so much netting on the SBP- it really is overkill. Perhaps they will redesign it a bit for future iterations.

Skeeter Spreader

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber View Post
    I too use a skeeter pro for multi day backcountry hikes, I have not attempted the ridgeline through netting mod. Instead my solution was to design and 3D print a fix for the sagging net syndrome. I call it the "Skeeter Spreader" it hangs on the ridgeline and gives the net a 9.5" spread on each side and when your done you fold it in half to remove for better packing, Easy on easy off. I have not tested it on the mod where the ridgeline passes thru the netting. but i think it eliminates the need for that. Cheers

these photos were taken just after the first assembly and tested on my (loaner) yukon hammock (prototype pink printed parts) and as you can see plenty of room inside to stretch out.
    IMG_6050.jpgIMG_6049.jpg IMG_6051.jpgIMG_6052.jpg

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    TRD Cloudburst
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    MalloMe XL Straps
    I did this mod with the grosgain last year and just hand-sewed the two pieces together. I then made an adjustable ridgeline with marks at the 105" section. I use one of the 18" rubber gear ties you can buy at the hardware store that I use as a spreader over the head-end.

I'm pretty sure they have so much netting for when you flip it over and use the non-netting side. Which I like to use, hence for the adjustable ridgeline.

See my post on page 7 and 8 for pics and instructions. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...skeeter+beater

ALy1Kp0h.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hang on Hangin on

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Here are some pictures of the mods I made to mine. Tying the loops together definitely helps keep the netting at bay. Also, I'm really happy with how the Gorilla Tape works for the ridgeline passage. I used Zing-it for the ridgeline, and set it at 105".

Also, pardon the messy garage

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    TRD Cloudburst
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    MalloMe XL Straps
    Also, I added 5" paracord loops to the inside zippers to easily grab once I'm in. I got fed up of getting in only to forget I left the zipper on the end. This way I can easily grab it from the other end and pull it shut (lightly of course to not break or tear anything). I also added small paracord braided tabs to the outer zippers to be more visible at night.
    Hang on Hangin on

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    HG 30
    Very nice. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. First trial hang went ok without the net but when I flipped it over to get in on the net side I ended up on the ground in the net. I just ordered up a ridgeline and upgraded suspension that will be easier on the trees. It is very similar to the Atlas ones. I too plan on doing this mod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast