DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Looks like everyone had a great time. Kudos to Tim for nurturing this event along for the last 9(?) months

Great pictures Tim

Way to go HF
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Looks like everyone had a great time. Kudos to Tim for nurturing this event along for the last 9(?) months

Great pictures Tim

Way to go HF
    Would have been even better with the RF
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    12 hours of hurricane driving but Gumbo, Soggy & I just made it home safe.
    Will catch up on details tomorrow, but for the important stuff... THANK YOU to Slowhike, Rockdawg, LDCakes, Dutch and all other organizers and contributors, great and small, who made a great hang out of what could have been a disasterous weekend.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    hey yall got back safe through 2 monsoons mind you but safe. and i had tons of fun at the hang just wish the weather would have been a little better. hope yall had a blast and got home safe hope to see all of you soon

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    turtle you win for the last person to wake up...we had half the camp torn down and you were still knocked out. we were worried, but we found a nice long stick to poke you with and you were still breathing so we let you be.

glad you had a good time, now you see how its done, get one going in your neck of the woods so you dont have to drive so far!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps
    Folks....I could not have picked better for a first group hang... everybody who came out was welcoming and extremely patient with the noobs (me and my dad aka Spanky). LDcakes offered very wise counsel on getting a tarp up for Saturday, which was a good call (mostly). The site was awesome, the festival was great, and the weather was mostly perfect until the last night. The food was delish, the music by Spanky and Rev (with harmony by Brown Doggie and myself) was good. I'm glad Soggy didn't drown in her tent and I HOPE her book recovers. Thanks to Slowhike for the hard work in putting it together, to ROckDawg for keeping things organized (and the tarp skins) and to Kangaroo for the excellent top and bottom quilt I won at the raffle (I was almost as lucky as Drackin)! Remember, always keep your pad INSIDE the tarp during torrential rain. I do hope folks liked the ghost stories... next time I'll do requests and more personal experience. Hope to do it again soon!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It sure was good to meet y'all on Saturday. Huge thanks to Slowhike, RockDawg, REV, Drackin, Dutch, gunner76 and ldcakes for their good natured patience while I had what seemed like a never ending list of questions. Also, thanks to Diva B, Dakota, Gumbo, Timberrr and everyone else I met, but can't remember all the names. You are a credit to the hammocking community. Now that I've been able to see some things and have had some things explained to me, maybe I'll be able to update my profile with some actual hammock-type information over the coming months.

Thanks againg for sharing part of your Saturday with me. I'm much the better off for it.
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Hey Gang, I just wanted to say thanks to all the good HF folks who made the Festival such a neat event. I didn't get the chance to see/meet everyone, but I sure did enjoy trying out some other people's rigs and asking questions and enjoying the day. I had to go out hiking with my son, daugther, and her roommate--had to get the chance to see the ponies up on the highlands. Hate that I was on a limited schedule, but it was a wonderful day on Saturday. Yes, I would definitely come back to Grayson Highlands, and maybe this time I would get to hang overnight and meet the rest of the crew. Great job and well-done crew!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Wow! What an excellent event! Looks like everyone had a great time. And that banner is awesome!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Grayson Highlands Park Group Hang Sept 2011

Left home for the hang at 5am on Friday in the rain and it rained hard most of the way to the park. With the rain came low clouds which means few views. Did see lots of Christmas tree farms in the area. As soon as we crossed into VA we were greeted by that unmistakable Pepe Le'Pew smell (skunk). Did see a couple of deer along the road. Got to Grayson a little before 1pm.

Found the hang site and set up our stuff. Ran in to Detail Man and his family whom I met at the Hot Springs hang last fall.

Wife wanted the 4 of us (my two sons came with us ) to hang together and we did manage to find a place.. This was wife's and sons first group hang and for one son, his first time camping in a hammock. We finished hanging our gear hung just as it started raining. Made for an interested weekend as this was my first time since I started hanging that it has rained while I was hanging.

Rockdawg (at least I think it was him) had erected a large blue tarp that cover the picnic table and this became "the place" to be when it was raining as we cooked our group meals under it. At times we had 3 Coleman stoves going along with a turkey fryer propane stove to cook those group meals. Also other hangers were using an assortment of backpacking stoves to make coffee, hot chocolate and or cook up other assorted goodies. If anyone went hungry at this hang it their own fault for not getting in line to get some food. While I did not gain any weight this weekend I did go thru the line for seconds and thirds, especially for the Gumbo made by GUMBO.

There were name tags with everyone’s trail-name or real name which it made it much easier to know who someone is (great idea as I am terrible with names) and most of us wore them.

My van battery died and I want to thank the fellow hanger who gave me jump.

Dutch showed up late Friday afternoon and a bunch and of us were checking out his set up hoping to see some new Dutch Toys but we were disappointed.

Friday night about a dozen of us went to the amphitheater next to the Camp Store and watched a slide show on Grayson Park. Learned that the famous Ponies were introduced in the 70's to help keep the highlands brush down. Apparently sheep and cows were tried but could not survive the winters.

After the group breakfast Saturday some folks decided to hike and most of the rest of us went to the festival to play tourist and or help with the hammock display. We were located along a trail leading to and from the food vendors and the main stage so we got lots of foot traffic. We had about 6 different hammock setups and had a fair number of folks of all ages trying out the hammocks. Even had a couple of people wanting to buy hammocks. I had a laptop and was playing Shug's "how to" videos. Smokey the Bear and Sparky the Flying Squirrel stopped by and tried out the hammocks. I think one guy spent about an hour checking out all the different hammock setups.

Back at camp we had Gumbo for dinner and then the raffle. Dutch was the master of ceremony. Lots of great prizes and a big thanks to everyone who donated something for the raffle. I won Pudden's Gost book for my wife and she had him sign it. I also scored one of Dutch's new toys (not available to the general public yet). Dutch said he would send me video on them as soon it is ready. Several hundred $$$ was raised and the $$ after paying for the camp site are going to be donated to the Friends of Grayson Park. One person who won a set of Dutch Ridgelines managed to get them thoroughly tangled and I offered to help untangle them. Did not tell him that I have gotten pretty good at untangling lines lately due to the number of my own I have had to untangle.

Several of us made bad jokes about Big Turtle’s fire starting ability and he still got a great fire going in spite of us.

Pudden told us stories about his childhood and his dad then told us what really happened. Later his dad played and sang some songs for us and then Pudden told some ghost stories.

It started raining later Saturday night and it came down hard. Then the lighting and thunder started up. While I did not get wet that night I did get drenched while taking down my gear in the AM. Did not try to keep anything dry, we just packed it way wet and headed home. Detail Man came by and gave us a hand taking down our stuff (Thanks Detail Man). Right now we got stuff hung out all over the garage drying out.

Looking forward to my next group hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast