room length vs hammock length for indoor hang?

New as of today but completely sold on hammocks from all the research of these last two weeks. I've decided to hang a Brazilian in my freakishly-tall 7yo son's bedroom. I think he'll love it and I like the idea that there is more space for playing on the floor. I've already sold his bed, so I'm committed. I've been searching in the forums for some idea of what hammock size will work in a 12' space for the right curve but also allow it to be closer to the floor than an adult would prefer but haven't come up with anything (if you know of a link, please share). I will also likely sleep in it with him on nights when he needs the company, so I want it to be comfortable. We are not big people but we are very long, so I'd like to get a double. Also, I know my boys will want me to get in it plus the dog, so I'd like for it to hold at least 400lbs. Planning to hang it from the ceiling with pad eyes per Knotty's method here.

This is the one he really wants at 11' long + 3.5ft cords each side. Thing is, it says up to 200lbs - how is it possible to hold so little at that size and weave? A matter of liability? http://www.novica.com/itemdetail/index.cfm?pid=175944

But would be okay with the Grand Trunk Roatan 8'L: http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ham...tan-hammock-71

Or is this size a better fit for the room? I'm a fairly laid-back mother except when it comes to things that so clearly show the dirt the boys and animals bring into the house.

Anyway, if there is some formula to determine the best length or if someone could just tell me, either would be great.

Thanks a bunch!
    Elle

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    What a mom!

Other than that, I got nothin'.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Hmmmm

Adult, kid, and dog....I was with you until you said dog. I know my pooch would be scared of the hammock and his nails would likely snag the fabric and cause a failure.

My 7yr old just got a 2nd hand Expedition from another member here. My 3yr old has his own Castaways Parachute hammock for hanging around in. I'm still working on the wife to let me put some eyebolts in the walls.

I would save the bucks and get something cheap like the parachute hammock just to let him try it out. No need for the big money if you might end up buying another bed.

I'm kicking around putting my sons in the same bedroom. I might try bunk beds and hang a hammock on the diagonal inside the frame. Of course, if one gets to sleep in a hammock full time then both will want to.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out......

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    AWESOME mom!

I prefer a Brazilian hammock to any other for full time hanging. Good choice.

Sorry I can't help with your questions, but there are several people here who can, and I am sure will.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    My Brazilian is set so the ceiling attachment points are about 15' apart. If you angle the hammock in your son's 12' room it should be doable.

Then again, a 7 year old probably doesn't need an XL Brazilian. Going with a smaller model will give you more flexibility for the hang. Specs for mine are:
    -100% soft cotton material
    -Room for 2 people; 450-lb. weight capacity
    -Bed dimensions: 9 ft. L x 6 ft. W
    -Overall hammock length: 14 ft. 7 in.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Thank you for the help! I think based on what you've said, I'll look for something around 11-12' My son, who technically isn't quite 7yo yet, is just shy of 5' tall and I am 6', so what might work for the average mother and son wouldn't work for us. I do end up laying down with him a fair bit and inevitably falling asleep until morning, so I want something that is comfortable for both of us without me waking up aching and resentful.

We have a small/single TrekLight hammock that we use for camping but it is too noisy for any of us to sleep in, except for our dog. I put a little pad down in it, and it has held up remarkably well to his nails. As the lone female among four males, I've embraced a toilet seat perpetually up and eyebolts everywhere. They litter my ceilings - it's a great way to hang sheets for forts and all sorts of pulley/hoisting contraptions.

Thanks again!
    Elle

• + New Posts