Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Silly SPE questions

Is there a definitive tutorial on use of the Speer segmented pad extender (SPE)? I've got a 2x2 on the way from another forum member and I'm hunting through my junk pile for some suitable pads to install.

Are a pair of 1/4" pads stacked more comfortable than a 1/2" single pad?

Any tips/tricks on keeping it from sliding around (silicone, slip-fix, etc)?

Can you use a long/narrow piece of foam to fill both "wings" on one side or does it bunch up?

What's the best way to pack this arrangement (separated pieces or just roll the whole thing up)?

I seem to find lots of "for sale" threads but very few "how-to" ones. Please point me in the right direction.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I don't use a SPE but I used to use a CCF pad in an cover with nylon on the hammock side and fleece on the body side. I don't recall any problem with bunching. Sliding is good to a point. You and the pad settle to the bottom. ;-) The only problem I can think of with an SPE is the wings folding in under you as you get in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Is there a definitive tutorial on use of the Speer segmented pad extender (SPE)?
    Not really any big tricks to using it, it will seem pretty self explanatory when you see it.

I've got a 2x2 on the way from another forum member and I'm hunting through my junk pile for some suitable pads to install.

Are a pair of 1/4" pads stacked more comfortable than a 1/2" single pad?

Well, I don't know. I have used a single full length CCF Ridgerest, a Ridgerest with a torso length Thermarest 1" thick inflatable stacked on top of it. Both felt about the same.

Any tips/tricks on keeping it from sliding around (silicone, slip-fix, etc)?
    Mine never moved unless I moved it on purpose. The mesh on the bottom seemed to grip pretty well. If I went from side to side, I would just grab one or more of the wings to help hold it in position while I moved.

Can you use a long/narrow piece of foam to fill both "wings" on one side or does it bunch up?
    I guess you could. But it is probably a weight saver not to do that. Iff all the wings are filled, most any part of your body that might need it - side or back sleeping- should end up on a pad. On my 4x4, I would put WM blue pads cut to fit in each wing, or sometimes stuff some clothes in one or more of the wings.

What's the best way to pack this arrangement (separated pieces or just roll the whole thing up)?
    I just left it on/around the full size pad it was on and rolled the pad up, after removing the wing pads when needed.

I seem to find lots of "for sale" threads but very few "how-to" ones. Please point me in the right direction.
    Hope that helped.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Mine came with Velcro, stick on pieces that are used to close the wings and keep the insulation in place in the wing. I stitched the tabs in place because the glue doesn't hold well enough to the nylon. While I found the SPE to be OK in the hammock, it's even better sandwiched between the hammock and a second layer. In my case the second layer was a cheap, dollar store nylon hammock tightly suspended under my Hennessy. I'm a paddler, so weight isn't a big concern.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

• + New Posts