Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

Take a newbie on a day hike.

I took a friend out on his first hike today. He had been showing some interest and asking questions. Still hot down here so keep it short and light, didn't want to scare him off. Believe we had the whole 970 acres preserve to our selves except for 3 canoes on the river. Figure if he enjoys it I'll have another hiking partner if he gets started and losses interest I'll have a source of some slightly used equipment. Even with the sweat and bugs he seemed to enjoy the hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Thanks for the report and pics. I've hiked a bit in FL. Seemed like a different planet. Hammock has a dual meaning in FL too!

Noun1.hammock - a small natural hill.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's awesome man and really cool of you to take him out for his first adventure. Hopefully he likes it and then you got yourself another friend for the woods of Fl.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I took a friend out on his first hike today. He had been showing some interest and asking questions. Still hot down here so keep it short and light, didn't want to scare him off. Believe we had the whole 970 acres preserve to our selves except for 3 canoes on the river. Figure if he enjoys it I'll have another hiking partner if he gets started and losses interest I'll have a source of some slightly used equipment. Even with the sweat and bugs he seemed to enjoy the hike.
    Where did you go? It looks nice. I hiked out to the camp site for our upcoming hang this morning and took some gps points. It was almost completely under water. After the bad storm I had this evening and the loooong, hard rain, I would guess that the entire site is under water now and the creek is close to spilling its banks (if it hasn't already). If the rain doesn't let up it might be a kayaking trip with sleeping in the kayak

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Where did you go? It looks nice. I hiked out to the camp site for our upcoming hang this morning and took some gps points. It was almost completely under water. After the bad storm I had this evening and the loooong, hard rain, I would guess that the entire site is under water now and the creek is close to spilling its banks (if it hasn't already). If the rain doesn't let up it might be a kayaking trip with sleeping in the kayak

Dave
    We went to the Alderman Ford Preserve, east of Tampa, on the Alafia River. Unique little 25 mile river in that is has some of the most southern rapids in the U.S. It drops about 130' mostly in the first 15 miles on it's way to Tampa Bay. We got our feet wet also on the sodden ground. Even found a little 3' waterfall of runoff on it's way to the river. The picture is fuzzy but I think it was from the humidty and condensation on the lens. Like other areas it could use some trail maintainance. With cost cut it will probably fall to some volunteers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts