Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images

Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap AT

Me and a couple buddies (also hangers) are doing 50 on the AT weekend after next, NB from Fontana. I heard I was going to have to sleep in shelters 2 nights (gasp, is a shelter same as mud-huggin?), but hanging the other 2. Has anyone been in that region in the last month or so?

Looks like pack weight 'fore water and grub is gonna hit 20 lbs (havent got the down bag yet, and having to carry the BA Clearview for the shelter lay (ughh), water weight daily start is 6 lbs, total food at beginning of trail 8.5 lbs (I'm a hoss, gotta eat plenty). 34 on the hoof at the start, but Im a big boy and I likes the comfort.

2 items I will be DIY'n soon, trading out the 5 pound OP Zenith pack for a G4 from a pattern I got, and this fall a Down TQ. Those 2 together will save me 7 pounds off the weight above, and I may shave some more off the food with my dehydrator.

Let me know if anyone as hit this section, a couple shelters still closed due to Bear Activity.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I just stayed at Derrick Knob shelter and passed a few on the way from Clingmans Dome. Derrick knob water is pretty good, I heard that the water at Spence Field is pretty bad and you probably wanna filter it really well (I would filter all water, anyway). I drink a lot of water, and carry 2 liters for the day and didn't have to refill until I got to the shelter. If your lunch requires water then plan for more (I suck down water like a camel)

Shelters are pretty comfy actually, they are barracks style, big wooden platforms to lay down a thermarest and sleeping bag. You can even hang a hammock inside on the rafters if no one else is staying there. They also have benches to cook and some hooks to hang up your packs. Oooo and fireplaces. Really not so bad.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

• + New Posts