WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Refreshing,
    That's very cool! You're obviously a skilled climber. Are you familiar with Brian French and Will Koomjian? They're two arborists from Oregon that gained my attention a couple years back. Here's their website.
    www.ascendingthegiants.com I'm a complete tree nut, so I guess it was only natural that I ended up in a hammock .....having said that, while I climbed trees to ridiculous heights in my youth, at this later stage of my life I've acquired a bit of acrophobia.
    I really loved your post!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Last edited by clb; 09-24-2011 at 19:30.
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    WBBB
    i cant imagine doing that!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Refreshing,
    That's very cool! You're obviously a skilled climber. Are you familiar with Brian French and Will Koomjian? They're two arborists from Oregon that gained my attention a couple years back. Here's their website.
    www.ascendingthegiants.com I'm a complete tree nut, so I guess it was only natural that I ended up in a hammock .....having said that, while I climbed trees to ridiculous heights in my youth, at this later stage of my life I've acquired a bit of acrophobia.
    I really loved your post!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    HHHEEELLLLLL YES DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE LINK! I have never heard of those two before you introduced me to them. Trekking through the canopy without touching the ground for 5 days, now that is wicked ! Again, thank you for the link and compliments.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Very, very, VERY cool. LOVE climbing trees, though I haven't done it in decades. I've often wondered how fun and difficult it would be to hammock UP in the trees!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Once upon a time....

My google-fu is weak this evening. I remember seeing an older married couple several years ago who started a cottage industry based on hanging in the canopy. There was a pretty cool program on public TV that showed them climbing up into the the tops of some huge trees and camping for a couple of days.

What surprised me most was how they got their climbing ropes into the tops to get started. The dude had a crossbow with an old zebco reel on there. He'd shoot a fiberglass arrow over the preferred limb then use the line to haul his rope back up/over. Pretty ingenious. I'm surprised the arborists don't use that method.

These folks started to manufacture a whole line of equipment made to "hang out" in the trees. This ringing a bell with anyone? I had no lucking finding it tonight online.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Guess you don't have to worry about Widow makers if your sleeping OVER the darn things.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Cool. The old climber in me loves it but i can remember how hard it was to pee with the harness on. Add to that in a hammock and,,,,, cirque de soleil. Keep havin fun

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    The dude had a crossbow with an old zebco reel on there. He'd shoot a fiberglass arrow over the preferred limb then use the line to haul his rope back up/over. Pretty ingenious. I'm surprised the arborists don't use that method.

These folks started to manufacture a whole line of equipment made to "hang out" in the trees. This ringing a bell with anyone? I had no lucking finding it tonight online.
    Actually, using a crossbow is a standard method for getting into the REALLY tall trees. A lot of people use a huge slingshot to get their throw line up into the canopy. I personally use the swing and throw method since the trees in my area aren't very tall. I do not know what cottage industry you are talking about but Treeboat hammocks are made specifically for tree climbers and sleeping in the canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Cool. The old climber in me loves it but i can remember how hard it was to pee with the harness on. Add to that in a hammock and,,,,, cirque de soleil. Keep havin fun

bill
    Yes, lol. I am glad you can relate. For those who have never worn a harness I know they are highly underestimating how difficult it is to pee from a hammock while wearing a harness. HAHAHA.

They're called treeboat hammocks for camping in the canopy. Much heavier and safer than what we're used to down low. See here:
    http://www.newtribe.com/views.html
    http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?...products_id=80
    There's a whole recreational treetop camping community around the country. Check out the "links" at the above "home" site.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Is it just me, or is anyone else curious, as to exactly how do you enter the hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast