Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    And... to make matters worse the R value of a bag would change depending on how damp it was, or wet it was, the ambient humdity, because its absorbent, and prone to be used in a lots of different ways.

Same with lofting time, was it measured after being compressed for a week and allowed to loft for an hour, or allowed to loft for a week?

The variability would be phenomenal. Just as it is with "warmth" rating on bags now.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    It would only make sense that the rating would be based on its performance in the standard test, not under all conditions. Again like the building industry, the R-Value is based on its tested performance, not what it would be when over-stuffed into a wall or wet in an attic under a leaky roof or after a baseball has been thrown through it.

When a bag/quilt is used in the wild under varying conditions, many adjustments to the hang, tarp, clothes, etc. would need to be made. Those adjustments are at the discretion and experience of the user. But, the base insulating ability of the bag/quilt under the original test conditions haven't changed.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by xutopia View Post
    I see floor mats rated with R value and I can't understand why it isn't the same for sleeping bags and quilts.

Anyone know why they don't use the same rating for everything that keeps you warm?
    Google is your friend...

R values are used for building materials. Clo values are used for clothing. Why don't they use the same units? Probably because they wanted a clothing unit that was normalized against a reasonably well understood amount of clothing - 1 clo is the amount of insulation in a 3 piece business suit.

There is a pretty straightforward conversion ( 1 R-value = 1.137 Clo value)

The North Face has a blurb about CLO values and sleeping bags and the problems with giving out the number without any context.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    It would only make sense that the rating would be based on its performance in the standard test, not under all conditions. Again like the building industry, the R-Value is based on its tested performance, not what it would be when over-stuffed into a wall or wet in an attic under a leaky roof or after a baseball has been thrown through it.

When a bag/quilt is used in the wild under varying conditions, many adjustments to the hang, tarp, clothes, etc. would need to be made. Those adjustments are at the discretion and experience of the user. But, the base insulating ability of the bag/quilt under the original test conditions haven't changed.
    Understandably, however, most insulation (in a building) leads a pretty static conditioned life, unless there is some failure in the structure.

However the same can't be said of a sleeping bag. Even if everything is perfect, every night you sleep in it you add water, even if its not raining and you aren't sweating...

So it really would be an academic means of comparison although it woudl provide a standardized basis for comparison. But that would be less popular with the sales folks.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    So it really would be an academic means of comparison although it woudl provide a standardized basis for comparison. But that would be less popular with the sales folks.
    I think that is really the driving factor. I can imagine the conversation going something like...

Sales Manager: All the other bags that sell for x dollars are rated at 0 degrees.
    Product Manager: I don't camp and I live in Cancun, but I think someone could sleep in this bag at 0 degrees, maybe more. They should be plenty warm.
    Sales Manager: Agreed, we will call it a -10* bag and raise the price 20%.

How could you do that if there were standards?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer A-sym Zip
    Insulation
    Incubator zero deg
    Suspension
    Buckle, WS & CL

European standard for raiting sleeping bags

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Good question. I think the problem is that consumers think about bag ratings in terms of "how warm will be in this bag," or "how cold can I go" instead of "how thermally insulative is this bag?" I believe it is because the unknown variable is the occupant. Trying to standardize the warmth rating is challenging. The r-value doesn't tell you how warm it is, but a measure of heat resistance.

A sheet of plastic or tyvek may have hi r-values, but wrapping yourself in them may not give you the same warmth as a sleeping bag. There are a lot of factors in play.
    There is a raiting system here in Europe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    This sort of reminds me of machinery horse power ratings. My table saw is 3hp, yet some hand tools are rated similar. None of it makes sense.

Similarly, sleeping bags are a joke, mostly from the cheap vendors. I have a Cabelas synthetic bag that says 0°. There is no comparison between that bag and my wife's 0° down bag from llbean bag!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123