Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest or DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings

OK...I'm confused and need advice

I have packed away the tent and it now has cobwebs...my hammock is being used on a regular basis. I love camping in cool/colder weather, being wrapped up and warm but still have that chill in the air. There is nothing more relaxing than that...except maybe being that way in the hammock instead of the tent. This is where I need advice...I have tried several different hammocks but nothing seems to compare to my ENO DN, I just love this thing...but...now that the cooler weather is coming, I have read so much about different types of pads and underquilts that I'm a bit overwhelmed as to what I need to get. I have everything to keep me warm in a tent such as sleeping bags, 'normal' quilts, a cot, etc. but for my hammock I need some advice on what I need to keep me warm down to about 20-25 degrees. Like I said, I love my ENO and don't want to break out the tent again. Any advice on what I need would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    The Double Nest was my first hammock and I used a pad and made a pad extender with wings to cover my shoulders & hips. It kept me warm down to 20* and beyond with my sit pad added under my back side. But now I use a Hammock Gear Incubator and it rocks! I'll never go back to pads!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Well if you plan on doin a fair amount of camping with a hammock in cool weather then an UQ is more than likely goin be a great investment. I slept on a pad for the first year or so after I got into hammocking and an UQ makes a big difference IMO. I had alot of condensation on my back with a pad. There are some fine cottage industry vendors to choose from. HammockGear, Warbonnet, DP HammocK, Arrowhead, just to name a few. I personally have a 3 season HammockGear Incubator. I'm 6ft and it covers my backside from head to toe. Toasty in cold weather.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    http://watermonkey.net/2011/09/14/wi...ng-hammocking/

This should get you started.

Always at the helm,

Water Monkey Son!
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    My first winter hang, I used my DN, a winter UQ and a winter sleeping bag as a TQ (along with long underwear and other layers of clothing). I was warm and comfortable and it got down to -11 degrees celsius.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest or DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    ok...I appreciate the advise. I have really nice sleeping bags...so does anybody have recommendations on which UQ would be best for the set up I have?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakehandler View Post
    ok...I appreciate the advise. I have really nice sleeping bags...so does anybody have recommendations on which UQ would be best for the set up I have?
    In reality, if you pick up any of the underquilt offerings from the vendors on Hammock Forums, you can't really go wrong. Your basic considerations on which to get boil down to.

1) Insulation Type - synthetic vs down
    2) Quilt Length - partial length vs full length

There is a wealth of information to be had just by reading in the Bottom Insulation forum and the vendor specific forums for any of the quilts you're considering.

Have fun with you choice.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    In my opinion an underquilt is the most important initial investment of all. Everything else, tarp, hammock, top quilt, etc can be supplemented with low cost or existing gear. A under quilt could be as well, but it would take much more effort and a bit of DIY skill.

I'd say if you hike and are weight concious, get a 3 season 3/4 length UQ. Should get you to 15-20 degrees and you can use a foot/sit pad for your feet. If you're not so weight concious and do more car camping I'd go with a full length, potentially even winter. Many times people say they only want to camp down to 20 degrees, but, especially in the hammock world there seems to be a bit of desire to push for lower winter temps.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I totally agree with thexuprising. We all have diff. needs and you will have to figure out what yours are, sometimes through trial and error. I had the privilege of borrowing gear at first and found out quickly I needed extra warmth for my feet. So I determined I'm a full length under quilt person even though I backpack so I went with HG Incubator because of the simplicity and 900 PF making it light and easy to attach. It goes in a dry bag and gets special care on the trail & at home because it is the most expensive piece of gear I own! I bought the 3 season with an extra ounce of down added because I am a cold sleeper and I also winter camp. In the summer I still use it but go extra light for my top insulation. In the winter I get serious with a 20 degree down bag and a hammock sock. A HG Burrow is in my future!
    Attending hangs and looking at other rigs can be of great advantage to you and most people will invite you to hop in their hammock for a text hang!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a video I did on UQs on the BlackBird.....might help out some.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts