Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images

Move over WB crew!

I just became a purchaser of a WB DL 1.1 Hammock with a WB Superfly tarp outfit.
    Thanks to everyone for your well guided advice, it was greatly appreciated. It was a tough decision sorting though all the options, but for my personal needs I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. Now it's a matter of waiting for its arrival; which I understand I need not wait by the mailbox on a daily basis.
    I'm new at this, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the BB clan
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Hate to say it, but you'll need to go HERE and drop 8 bucks for the Tarp ridgeline. Pick up some extra Zingit for tie outs OR go get some of that Glowwire for your tarp tie outs. Walmart has cord locks but you might just get those where you order some shock chord from. I have a link somewhere but Brandon sent me the link where to buy shockcord online. You need the tieouts and such for the superfly. Get some stakes for it too. Brandon COULD offer a set with the Superfly but if you ever looked at peoples tarp setups you'll notice that there aren't too many that are alike. The Superfly has an integrated ridgeline so you only really need to tie up each end, which means Zingit and some Dutch Flyz, or figure 9's or cinch knot. But if you have everything together and just want to swap out tarps, a continous ridgeline with attach points (soft shackles on Dutch's new offering) will let you swap out tarps at a setup.

You're going to love the combo though. I love my Dbl 1.7. Feels like I'm at home in my DIY. Only way I know the difference is when I open my eyes and see the bugnet and Superfly above me.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Hate to say it, but you'll need to go HERE and drop 8 bucks for the Tarp ridgeline. Pick up some extra Zingit for tie outs OR go get some of that Glowwire for your tarp tie outs. Walmart has cord locks but you might just get those where you order some shock chord from. I have a link somewhere but Brandon sent me the link where to buy shockcord online. You need the tieouts and such for the superfly. Get some stakes for it too. Brandon COULD offer a set with the Superfly but if you ever looked at peoples tarp setups you'll notice that there aren't too many that are alike. The Superfly has an integrated ridgeline so you only really need to tie up each end, which means Zingit and some Dutch Flyz, or figure 9's or cinch knot. But if you have everything together and just want to swap out tarps, a continous ridgeline with attach points (soft shackles on Dutch's new offering) will let you swap out tarps at a setup.

You're going to love the combo though. I love my Dbl 1.7. Feels like I'm at home in my DIY. Only way I know the difference is when I open my eyes and see the bugnet and Superfly above me.
    Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I need to know. So I can assume that WB doesn't supply any tie-downs or other necessary accessories to get me up and running?
    I hear these terms like whoopie slings etc. and have absolutely NO idea of their purposes, or even how they are utilized. I've spent a good amount of time narrowing my selection to a final choice. Have to now focus on the next phase.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Whoppie slings connect the hammock to tree huggers which are straps that go around the tree. Your blackbird will come with the parts necessary to connect it to the trees. I got my blackbird with the webbing and I like it a lot! One piece and you are done. I liked it so much that I got a webbing upgrade from arrowhead for my tarps. The webbing weighs a little more than whoppies but it's easy and all one piece. I even asked Paul at arrowhead to put two pockets on some hammock bags so I can store the webbing.

Mike

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Do not forget Self-Tensioning guylines

You can pick up some self-tensioning lines at http://www.jacksrbetter.com/STLs.htm, and it is probably cheaper than buying the materials and spending hours making them, but it is kind of fun if you have the materials to make them. To let you know, STLs are line with some slingshot type tubing over top so the line does not go slack in the wind or rain.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the above link.
    Had no idea they had Self Tensioning Lines.
    Can't get much easier than that!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Sorry didn't get back quicker. the Blackbird comes with the shock cord tieouts for the shelf and zipper side, you only need two stakes for those. It also comes with the webbing suspension (assuming you ordered it this way) you'll need Carabiners or Dutch clips to hook the line to itself after circling your tree. Then you just tighten up the webbing with the supplied d rings that are on it. Why doesn't it come with stakes and clips/carabiners/stakes? Well, do you need Sand, Snow, Tri, Aluminum, Titanium, High vis painted, etc. etc. stakes? And do you want to tie your suspension around the tree, use a Carabiner, a Dutch hitch, something else? Everyone has their druthers at this point. You'd put a cottage industry out of business stocking for all the varieties.

Same with the Superfly. I tied my own self tensioning lines, it's not rocket science.

The Jacksrbetter link given you takes you straight to the STL's. If you wanted to use these on your Superfly you'd just need to order the big kit and an extra pair of STL's. 33 bucks n shipping and your set, save stakes. And they have those there too along with Dutch Ware so you can pick Carabiner or DutchClip.

There are a bunch of different ways to hook up a tarp though. I just got done adding a Dutch Fly and Dutch Hook to the SRL for my Tarp. Course, the day before I got the 2 sets of clips/hooks in the mail that I ordered, they started offering a tarp ridgeline basically set up the way I have mine though with soft brummels for the tarp connection instead of my Prussik and mini carabiners. AND they're only what, 8 bucks? Think I've almost got that much in line alone. And instead of simply high vis line that the JacksrBetter uses, my tieouts are glow wire, shine your headlamp on it at night and there are bright lines leading from the ground to your tieouts. I like that, some folks prefer a stealthier setup. Choices Choices.

And you thought trying to decide on what tarp, hammock would be a good start was hard. You just got started. But while daunting in the variances, really most of it is just different ways to do the same thing. Some are lighter then others. Some more durable. If you're rough on gear and don't do long hikes where a heavy pack will get you down, you can don't have to use lightweight stuff.

Whoopie slings are the in thing right now. You can save weight by getting rid of the extra strapping you're carrying and replacing it with a piece of 7/64 inch amsteel. They are cool, they are adjustable and if you don't care to save a couple ounces per end, they are UN-necesary. Doesn't make em any less fun to play with. Heck, you don't even have to use that funky knot they talk about. You could larkshead to the tree strap. But, if I went Whoopie in the field I'd probably go all the way and do the Marlin Spike thing, cuzz Shug (my hero) he uses it.

So, you've got your hammock and tarp hooked up to a tree and flappin in the wind, you need some stakes. I mentioned Stakes and types but didn't list where to get them. Who boy is there a list of vendors. Jacksrbetter, Dutch gear (always forget that webname so search for Dutchgear) Arrowhead supply, Lawson, Spear, Opies stuff shoot I think there are things available in this forums store. I tell ya, you can knock your brains out looking for stakes. You can also walk down to Walmart and pick up about a dozen aluminum for 8 bucks. Bend those around the rocks a few times and decide if you need to step up the stake department.

Yup, now you're Hammock and Tarp are setup. You can get out of the weather and sleep in comfort. All this and we've just swapped out your tent. If you're like me and just have an old backpack that the above items fit into with room to spare, and you don't have any other hiking gear, then it's time to start studying up on what you're going to need to take with you on a hiking adventure. Up to know whereever I've camped I had a big coleman cooler on wheels I've pulled along with me where ever I've gone. I've also had a motorcycle trailer filled with cloathes and such. That's going to be a little bulky on the trail I'm thinking.

So much to learn but you're not far from being done hanging up your hammock/fly. They have high vis line at Walmart in the boating section. If you really need to get out and give it a try, you can buy 4-5 bucks of that stuff and go while you wait for the good stuff to come in. Don't trust their carabiners for hanging though. You want carabiners that lock and become integrally one piece. Otherwise you could conceivably bend the carabiner straight and have your webbing just slide apart. Whomp, you'll be camping on the ground again with either a sore rear or sore head.

You've got your Dutch's SRL with the clips n stuff and your tarp is a flappin in the breeze till you put your self tensioning straps on the corners and maybe your tieouts too.

There now, I've fogged the issues up quite well I think. Watch Shugs videos and watch Griz's, and WaterMonkeys and the ones on Dutchs site. find out what system will work for you. Remember, some things work cool and don't cost much, but they may just be replacing a knot that you can tie for free.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post

There are a bunch of different ways to hook up a tarp though. I just got done adding a Dutch Fly and Dutch Hook to the SRL for my Tarp. Course, the day before I got the 2 sets of clips/hooks in the mail that I ordered, they started offering a tarp ridgeline basically set up the way I have mine though with soft brummels for the tarp connection instead of my Prussik and mini carabiners. AND they're only what, 8 bucks? Think I've almost got that much in line alone.
    Mr. Clean417, the $8 is/was Dutch's introductory price for the two pieces of hardware (one of his Tarp Flyz and one hook) that he ships to Whoopie Slings for that cool ridgeline. You then pay Whoopie Slings an additional $24 for the line and putting it all together, so the finished ridgeline is $32.

Uncle ray ray, to set up your WBBB and Superfly when they arrive, you need to get yourself two stakes for the hammock, 8 stakes for the tarp and its doors, a pair of climbing-rated carabiners (or some Dutch Clips) to put on the WBBB's included suspension, and a ridgeline and tie-outs for your tarp.

Happy hangin',
    Chris

I need to join the crew..
    I have a 1.0 double and a 1.1 double on the way...
    The wait is driving me crazy....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast