DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    I was looking at dwon top quilts yesterday and one of the manufacturers (sorry, don't remember which one) wrote that the quilt got shorter with overstuffing.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I could see that being true... As the material stretches outward, it would pull from either length or width... But I doubt it would be a significant amount?
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Are you taunting me?

In the first 4 days this week I have already put in 16 extra hours and I came in an hour early this morning as well. I have a planned campout with my son beginning tonight. All I ask is to leave on time and not to have to come in to work tomorrow. All week, I have been looking forward to nothing more than a good nap after lunch tomorrow. Is that really too much to ask.

Frankly, I am just thankful you didn't throw "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " at me. Depending upon the source, this is the longest word in a major dictionary. Yours wasn't a real word.
    Yes I was!
    Been where you are & SO understand. Sometimes "HI" is too big of a word for me. And, I did think of posting "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " but thought that would cause you damage, where as the "Made up word" would just make you laugh.

BTW, I second Pan's "get a winter quilt" if you need that much insulation. That being said, my next No Sniveler is getting an OZ or 2 OS. But then I don't need quite as much insulation as most.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    I was looking at dwon top quilts yesterday and one of the manufacturers (sorry, don't remember which one) wrote that the quilt got shorter with overstuffing.
    When I make my DIY quilts, I allow for 5% shrinkage due to the expansion of the down. It works out just right.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Yes I was!
    Been where you are & SO understand. Sometimes "HI" is too big of a word for me. And, I did think of posting "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " but thought that would cause you damage, where as the "Made up word" would just make you laugh.
    Yes, it did make me smile at the time, but I won't thank you for that. Last night I tossed and turned all night with dreams of Julie Andrews and **** vanDyke.
    It wasn't a pleasant experience.

I am looking to a good relaxing hang this weekend with no worries or responsibilites. It's long overdue.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Very timely thread. Thanks for all the good info as I am deciding on a new underquilt for the coming season. Last winter I made do with layering what quilts I had and found I really enjoy winter camping with the hammock. So narrowing the details of what to purchase really helps.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    I could see that being true... As the material stretches outward, it would pull from either length or width... But I doubt it would be a significant amount?
    With the boxed sides that TeeDee used, this wasn't a problem. Instead of puffing up and pulling the sides inward, the down simply puffed up and also pushed the sides outward. So maybe it made the quilts an 1/4" wider and longer counting the puffed out sides.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I purchased a top quilt/poncho from another HF member, and have been pleased with the design, but noted that it seemed "understuffed" when viewed with bright sunlight behind it. Nevertheless it worked fine down to about 50 degrees F. Before the Dolly Sods hang I added about 3/4 oz. of down to each of the ten tubes. (That's a lot of overstuffting.) I was very comfortable at 33 degrees on Thursday, and I expect to use this quilt comfortably at Mt. Rogers. The particular quilt is a discontinued model, so I don't think it's appropriate to identify the manufacturer. I did notice the phenomenon that Demostix mentioned: drape can definitely influence warmth. When I first pulled the quilt over me, I found it helped to pull it down around my legs to limit air spaces in which convection could occur. Of course, I could have just waited 10 minutes and my body heat would have heated the space completely. This is now a very warm quilt.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I first learned about overstuffing from Mors Koshanski. He started back in the 1970tys to take one down coat and take the down from that and place into a second. He found under extended field use it was not just twice as warm it was more then that. The examples of artic down parkas he has that are sold to be used by workers in the far north are all over stuffed when comparied to
    consumer camping gear. There out in it day in and day out not for the weekend.

He's theroy is it prevents any void spots to act as channels for heat loss.
    I agree. Since learning that I ether over stuff if it does not have it or order it over stuffed by 30%. It works for me. I camp to down to -35F.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Great post fourdog, thank you.