Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece

Thumbs up Sewing machine tune up

Hey all,

I highly recommend getting your sewing machine professionally serviced. Mine was having a couple little problems, bunching the thread up underneath occasionally, balky starting seam lines, and some other annoyances. Nothing that kept me from sewing, but they sure made it more aggravating. I also have a good quality overlock machine (serger) that sat in the garage unused for around 5 years and it was seized up. They're both about 15 years old.

They were repaired and tuned up last weekend and now they're purring like kittens , and running faster than my cats when they hear a can being opened.

Images

Thumbs up

I agree! I just had a mid-50's model from the Sewmore company cleaned and serviced. It had been in my family being used as a table, but never opened. When I started thinking about making my own gear, (spurred by a desire to avoid spending hundreds of dollars to attain what I think is my ultimate setup) I asked my Mom about sewing machines, and she mentioned this old one that was in the basement.

After I spent about $50 for the service, the machine looked amazing! I couldn't believe how well it cleaned up, and I am very glad I didn't have to deal with that myself. The man who fixed my machine was incredibly helpful to me when I screwed up initialy, and that kind of service alone makes restoring or buying a machine with a shop instead of a big box store a wise choice for everyone, especially inexperienced seamsters like myself!

Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece
    That's great! I spent $350, but I couldn't replace even one of the two machines for that amount today. They were both good solid machines when I bought them (and with metal gears) so it was worth it.

When I started thinking about making my own gear, (spurred by a desire to avoid spending hundreds of dollars to attain what I think is my ultimate setup)
    That's my motivation, too. I could make more working overtime on the weekend than I actually save, but making gear is way more fun. Plus it's pretty cool to be able to customize things, and say you've made your own stuff.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    That's my motivation, too. I could make more working overtime on the weekend than I actually save, but making gear is way more fun. Plus it's pretty cool to be able to customize things, and say you've made your own stuff.
    True! And when I was in the middle of the tarp I was having so many problems that I threw my hands up and almost quit on it! So, I left and came back later with some more positive vibes and figured out my mistakes. Very glad I gave it a chance because the tarp ended up being right on par with the one I was trying to mimic. Very gratifying!

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Yeah, I just finished my Potomac UQ and our Bernina was starting to clatter a bit. Just a bit of thin machine oil here and there sure makes a difference. My wife just calls me Mr. Seamster

• + New Posts