Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    This might be slightly off topic from your original 'design', but I've done a lot of work with masts and antennas (I'm a ham radio operator, hence the username). I have a whole bag full of surplus aluminum tent poles that I string together for an antenna or a mast to support an antenna, they've been used as supports for larger tarps as well. I've thought about using a couple for a hammock support as well - take 2 and stack them for both sides.

If you've ever seen a telephone pole where the wires turn 90deg at the pole - there are guy lines that pull the pole in the opposite direction as the force vector of the wires. Imagine the force vector of the wires being the hammock load - it is both a vertical force (pushing down on the poles) and horizontal force (pulling the poles in towards each other). To support the horizontal component the guy lines need to be at a shallow angle. If the anchors are too close to the poles the force on the anchors is magnified and my guess is they won't hold. The flatter the angle and further the anchors are the less force transmitted through that guy line = easier for it to hold.

A ridge line between the two poles would make set up a lot easier. This way you can set the poles up before you put the hammock on, and the poles will stay standing when you get out of the hammock. The ridge line will keep everything taut when theres no load on the rigging (you in the hammock).

If you have a need for just one support, as in using the truck for the other, you can do the same thing. Another thought is to have a plate on the bottom of the pole/mast so it doesn't sink in the ground (thinking a rainy night with the pole on dirt...). You will still want a ridge line to hold the pole up while you're not in the hammock. Unless you make everything impractically heavy duty - expect this whole set up to FLEX. That means you need to pitch the hammock taut so when you get in it the load pulls everything to where you want it.

Be careful of the stake holes in your truck bed. Don't extend any support up over that too far. You are going to be putting a ton of stress on that as it is, the higher you get the more force will be on the stake hole = you can bend things out of shape.

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know where the load calculator is, but here is a link for a pretty simply hanging method when you don't have enough trees.

http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/scouting/

Scroll down to the picture with 4 hammocks in a row and read the description. I know it's not quite as cool as a hitch attachment, but maybe a little more versatile?
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    Clark NX-150 Camo
    Tarp
    Custom Vertex camo
    Insulation
    Kelty Recluse 2.5i
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm going to keep working on my original design, think of two trapezoids spaced 3 feet apart at the bottom leaning against each other at the top, no middle bar on the ground to fall on.

I am curious about the scouting method mentioned above, I was trying the same thing with my high lift jack as one side and my "buffalo bar" as my wife calls my brush and light bar as the other (it ISN'T going to bend). Now, with a hitch mounted vertical, and a couple of the setups in the picture referred to above you could hang two or three hammocks off the vertical hitch mount (can be made sturdy enough) for a small group hang.

I'm also thinking about an earlier post suggesting a pole as a ridge line with the hammock hanging from it. If I could put together a modified "Y" coupler that would let me connect the ridge bar and two legs at each end, then it could all go together with 6x5 foot pieces of 1 1/2" EMT, a coupler for the ridge bar center, and two Y couplers for the end. Hmmmmmmm....
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is fixed... the population is growing!

With enough thrust pigs fly just fine!

Hammock
    ENO double deluxe
    DGHPTS

This should help.

fildogg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I also will be watching this thread

as you progress please post pics

Thanks
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

According to the chart above, as far as I can tell if you have an 80% ridgeline you should have around a 30 degree suspension angle so your weight is on each end.

At least I think that would be a safe estimate. 250# body weight x 5 safety factor 1250# or x 10 safety factor 2500#.

I have never even looked at any sort of calcs or charts and have just gone by what everybody else here says so I could be wrong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12