View Poll Results: So, which UQ will McRat be using for the next year?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Incubator - the warmth is worth the weight and will extend the hammock camping season

27 47.37%
  • Phoenix - lighter, you'll eventually need a winter UQ anyways for New England winters

29 50.88%
  • Other - please post comment in thread.

1 1.75%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict

Ready to pull trigger (One UQ to rule them all thread #2)

Having taken the recommended nights sleep on the matter and the advice here, I am torn between the 20° Incubator vs. the 20° Phoenix.

I'm putting up a poll and am going to go with your advice. I figure I'll likely be happy with any choice, and if not - someone will get a discount when I put it in the For Sale forum.

I have previously never owned any shelter that had such an enthusiatic fan base of knowledgeable gear addicts. You're my kind of people. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Go partial length!
    Go Phoenix!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Both are great quilts and will be just as warm under the covered areas of ur body it really just depends on weather or not u want to use a pad under ur feet or not. So my vote is which ever one fits ur style of camping better. And if u still can't decide just get both.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Go partial length!
    Go Phoenix!
    +1. Phoenix rules!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Other vote here - the YETI!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm just a big fan of Warbonnet's quilts. They are sweeeeet.

Some other thoughts are, What is/are your intended uses? Car camping vs Backpacking? Is weight and space (cubic inch) a variable?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Here's another question... Do you assume the Incubator will get you down to winter temps? Both the Incubator and the Phoenix are rated to 20*F. Just because it is a full length quilt doesn't mean it will dip down to single digits.

I'm particular with partial UQs because there's little to no wasted material to keep what's important warm.. Your core. Legs can easily be kept comfy with a cut down pad.

But that's my 2 yen.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just pulled the.trigger on the 3/4 Phoenix & will cover legs/feet with either a ccf or a short 3/4 inch thick Thermarest. The pads will do double duty, sit on in front of campfire as well as insulate my feet. My two.cents worth

Images
    you loose heat from your head and neck, chest, and groin area. Phoenix covers these spots very well. A simple pad and TQ with foot box takes care of my lower legs and feet just fine.

Phoenix is a nice quilt for backpacking, car camping, back yard or what ever use you need.

Incubator is a nice quilt for back yard or car camping, not so much for backpacking due to size and weight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    Answers to questions -

LRR - I usually have an a**mat with me, so it shouldn't be a problem putting it in the footbox

taylo166 - I'm big, broad-shouldered, long torso, and a 'dynamic sleeper', the Yeti dimensions (which may work great for a hammock for all I know) send a chill up my spine. If a 3/4 and Full-length Yeti were available options, they would probably be the two voting choices above. 'One size fits most' has played some cruel tricks on me in the past.

Cranky Bear - I do both, I would say I camp within access to my car about 75% of the time. I'm hoping to increase my backpacking trips over the next couple of years.

Raul Perez - While not expecting it to bear the brunt of winter, I'd like a rig that could be tolerable in a pinch down to about 10°F with additional layers worn. I'm just guessing that the full length would be somewhat more forgiving in that regard, and possibly warmer at the feet. Really not expecting to go hanging below freezing temps until I get a bit more experience with the hammock. If all is well then, I may sell off some tenting gear to make room for a nice decent winter UQ; but for now I think I can wing only one more hammock-related purchase before my wife's cheerful disposition to my hobby sours.

Last year, I lugged a generator, screen and projector 3/4 of a mile into the woods to have a winter screening of Bobcat Goldthwait's directorial masterpiece, "Shakes the Clown" in the White Mountain National Forest.

Consider that this is what I do for amusement, how little weight deters me from comforts... and the horrors that poor Mrs. McRat already must endure on a daily basis without worrying about a half dozen new underquilts showing up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast