GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Simple method to use Sleeping Bag as UQ No mods

I've been tossing the idea around for a bit and finally re-setup my indoor stand so I could try some things out and I think I've got it working good for me. Gave it my normal fan on high test to see how well it was insulating and it was working great. The heat between the hammock and bag was amazing when I stuck my hand between them to feel.

I passed some 550 paracord through the ends of my suspension and tied them together making a large loop from end to end on the hammock. I first tried this with shock cord, but it was too light to hold the bag up good, its a pretty hefty down bag. The 550 stretches just enough but keeps the bag up high on the sides of the hammock when in it.

I then took the opened bag and ran it under the hammock and the sides up and over the paracord draping it over. Knowing the bag would slip and end up on the ground I took a pair of tarp clips with shorth length of shock cord between them, then hooked that in the middle. Clamping on the zipper of each side. I made 2 more of these with shorter cord and put them on the foot and head end. A loop of shock cord from each of the head and foot to the suspension with a mini biner to keep the bag centered in the hammock.

Tested it out and it worked out great. The best part is no modification to the bag and easy to setup and take down.

The whole bag shot...

Close up of the center clip

The foot end... The ribbon looking stuff is the ties on the end of the bag. I used one to tie the zipper to the clips. The head has a draw string and its pulled about a third to close up the end.

The bag conforms to the bottom of the hammock really well, it rides against the hammock from head to foot, but not tight enough to compress the down.

I will probably replace the 550 with some stronger shock cord, but as it stands now it works really well. The sides of the bag are high up to the top of the hammock, no cold shoulder at the top of the hammock.

I'm sure its not an original idea, but it worked good for me until I can hack the bag up for a purpose built UQ.

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone 85% done
    Tarp
    DIY In Progress
    Insulation
    None at the moment
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am glad you posted this.

I finally found a sleeping bag that was small to roll and still warm to sleep in at GoodWill today and was going to convert it to a UQ. Problem is after testing it out I founbd I actually really like the sleeping bag....

So it was either find another sleeping bag to convert or use the original one I had which was too big for me to want to convert in the beginning lol.

Thanks for the pics I will be heading to WM tomorrow for some clips to try out.

Zippo

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I used 6 clips to make 3 "supports"... the center one was probably 18in or so shock cord length, and the ends are only about 8in or so... The weight of the 6 clips, shock cord and length of 550 is pretty light, not enough for the gram weenies, but they wouldn't be using a whole intact bag either!

I like the clips I found at Sportsmans warehouse, they were "Shark" clips. They have a screw to tighten the clamp down, very secure.

I have been looking for something like this. I want to use a sleeping bag without having o mod it. Jut in case.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Wow, and I have just been useing dice in the corners of my bag tied off with 550 cord and run to bungee cord. This might have been easier!
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I made a second set of clips and hang line for my wifes hammock, tested it out with a cheap walmart bag we have a couple extra of.. worked great too.

I took an early morning nap in mine and noticed a difference from previous naps for sure. The whole hammock felt snuggly and warm vs with just a pad in there warm on the bottom, but some cold spots here and there on the sides. I had to have the fan full blast to keep from overheating, but it was a nice nap...

This definately is not for the hiking crowd unless you normally take a full sleeping bag in with you, we car camp for the most part, or short hikes from the car, so the bulk of the a full bag is ok. The gear bulk/weight added to do this is minimal. Glad to see a few people found it usefull.

You might be able to use those square paper clips used to hold folios together. They come in different sizes and are inexpensive.

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very good idea, I like that.
    Although I'm not opposed to sewing a few grosgrain loops to a sleeping bag for use as an UQ (while not effecting normal sleeping bag use), this is a good way to avoid sewing all together (always nice), thanks again
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

I can't tell, is that a bag that unzips all the way around, so that it is totally flat when unzipped all the way?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Yessir..

That particular bag does have 2 zippers, but it is opened flat and only zipped a few inches up the foot side like a normal bag. Just to close off some of the end, but allow a little venting as well.

If you were to look at it from the end of the hammock... it would be like a M ... the center of the M is where the hammock is lying, the legs of the M are draped over the loop of cord going around the hammock.

I could take some better photos if needed to show the setup better, its really dumb simple though.

It passed the overnight test and didn't shift or fall apart last night too. Toasty warm (too warm for me) all night, had to blast the fan to keep cool.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast