DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Bliss
    Insulation
    MacPac Neve TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Asymmetrical or Symmetrical

This is probably the noobiest of noob questions but what is the difference between Asymmetrical and Symmetrical hammocks?

I'm thinking of getting a HH Scout hammock for my 16 year old daughter and I am wondering what difference they make with regards to sleep position.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    HH's actually have symmetrical hammock bodies but the side tie outs pull it into an asym shape. The bug net is then also cut to reflect that shape. The result is that you always sleep on the same diagonal. For a HH that's head left and feet right when laying on your back. Not really any problem with that though personally I like to be able to switch sides.

I think on the Scout the side tie outs are directly opposite each other mid-hammock. This creates a feeling of less space in the hammock. Maybe newer ones don't do that anymore?

IMHO a Scout is probably too small a hammock for most 16 year old girls. It may be workable just not the most comfortable.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneywizard View Post
    This is probably the noobiest of noob questions but what is the difference between Asymmetrical and Symmetrical hammocks?

I'm thinking of getting a HH Scout hammock for my 16 year old daughter and I am wondering what difference they make with regards to sleep position.
    Stick around here, you'll learn fast! This is one of the best internet forums I've ever been to. Most people here seem to enjoy helpin' others. I have an hh explorer deluxe and even though it's supposed to be asymetrical I switch sides in it often. It does feel roomier than my other hammocks but the others don't have any tie outs. Take Knotty's advice and get here a bigger hammock. Deals can be found here often and so can links to good deals. Eno makes a nice comfy hammock as well and they're quite affordable. They also come in a variety of colors that might be more appealing to your daughter. My baby girl is 20 and I just got here an Eno dn (double) and it swallows her. She is tiny but loves the roominess of it

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    An asymmetrical hammock takes advantage of the fact tha the occupant is limited to one position. A smaller hammock can be designed to feel larger to that occupant. An example is the War Bonnet Blackbird (WBBB).

The disadvantage of an assymetrical is that you are limited to that one position. Whereas, in a symetrical hammock you can thrash about, toss & turn from sidet side. An example would be a Switchback (SB).

So, there it's not a matter of which is better. It's simply matching the hammoc to your style of sleep.

As always, YMMV
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    HH's actually have symmetrical hammock bodies but the side tie outs pull it into an asym shape. The bug net is then also cut to reflect that shape. The result is that you always sleep on the same diagonal. For a HH that's head left and feet right when laying on your back. Not really any problem with that though personally I like to be able to switch sides.

I think on the Scout the side tie outs are directly opposite each other mid-hammock. This creates a feeling of less space in the hammock. Maybe newer ones don't do that anymore?

IMHO a Scout is probably too small a hammock for most 16 year old girls. It may be workable just not the most comfortable.
    Knotty is soo smart. That is just what I was going to say.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Bliss
    Insulation
    MacPac Neve TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

You say that the Scout might be too small for my daughter, but the dimensions for the Scout and the Expedition are identical, allbeit the width is shorter by 4". Would that be enough to make a marked difference to the comfort level?

I did consider the ENO (and equivalents) but I would like to have an integrated bugnet in the hammock. Maybe down the road I could DIY something.

Also, I don't want to invest in a significant purchase as this might only get used a couple of times a year (for her), as soon it mightn't be so cool to hang out with dad tramping about in the bush. I'm already competing with friends, Facebook and as summer approaches, the beach. I thought I might have to invest in a couple of hammocks so she can invite one of her friends along.

Images
    ...as soon it mightn't be so cool to hang out with dad tramping about in the bush. I'm already competing with friends, Facebook and as summer approaches, the beach...
    Have you considered a convent (my daughter is 4 years behind yours)?

Also consider flexibility - would the Scout fit any of your buds/blokes/mates if they borrowed it on a trip with you? A larger size hammock will allow more people to use it.

It's not about the hammock - it's about getting out there to use the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The disadvantage of an assymetrical is that you are limited to that one position.
    I would say that you are limited to a few positions with some being more comfortable than others not really just one.

I am able to switch my feet from side to side in my Blackbird, but feet in the footbox side (left for me since I got a reverse) is roomier. You are also able to flip completely around and put your head in the footbox if you want. Because of its super flat lay I can roll onto my side and sleep that way too but more often than not I sleep with my right ankle tucked under my left knee.

Good luck with finding the right set up for your daughter. Maybe you can meet up with some willing members who will loan you a hammock for the night to test out a particular brand or style. Eventually it will all fall together and she will find her sweet spot.
    Last edited by smashdn; 09-08-2011 at 09:57.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

You say that the Scout might be too small for my daughter, but the dimensions for the Scout and the Expedition are identical, allbeit the width is shorter by 4". Would that be enough to make a marked difference to the comfort level?

I did consider the ENO (and equivalents) but I would like to have an integrated bugnet in the hammock. Maybe down the road I could DIY something.

Also, I don't want to invest in a significant purchase as this might only get used a couple of times a year (for her), as soon it mightn't be so cool to hang out with dad tramping about in the bush. I'm already competing with friends, Facebook and as summer approaches, the beach. I thought I might have to invest in a couple of hammocks so she can invite one of her friends along.
    I have two Scouts, an Expedition and Explorer. Not familiar with the dimensions but my daughters have tried them all and feel that the Scout is small but the Expedition is fine. Hope that helps.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts