Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pads vs Underquilt

Hi there
    I've been new to hammocking this year (since April) and have been using a self inflating pad with my DD Travel hammock. To date this has worked really well.

My question though is will I notice a real difference in warmth if I swap the pad for a Snugpak under quilt?

If I go for a UQ it will be this model as its affordable, easily obtained here in France and only weighs a couple of pounds. Does anyone have any experience of this UQ?

Regards
    Gareth

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Pads work and can be a very low cost solution for beginners. . Problem is that they tend to shift in single layer hammocks. I used a pad until I could afford a UQ

UQ are more comfortable than a pad but cost more.

Need to check to see what the temp ratings are for the UQ you are looking at getting to see if it will work for the camping you will be doing.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    My question though is will I notice a real difference in warmth if I swap the pad for a Snugpak under quilt?

If I go for a UQ it will be this model as its affordable, easily obtained here in France and only weighs a couple of pounds.

I don't know about the warmth, but I think there will be less risk of condensation from your sweat with an UQ compared to a pad. Coverage for your sides, especially your shoulders, will probably be better with an UQ than a standard sized pad.

Isn't "a couple of punds" quite heavy? Maybe it doesn't matter for your usage.

You can easily buy any underquilt you like online and have it delivered to you (e.g from the USA).

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Used the Snugpak under quilt. Bulky and heavy compared to down but very affordable. Good buy for the money. Toasty warm too. I did prefer it over any pad solution in a hammock....

Importing quilts from the USA... import duties make it very expensive (sometimes double!)

@Gareth: if money is not a big thing, look at down top/underquilts from UKHammocks.

Just my two eurocents from Holland ;-)

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi there
    I have used different pads in the beginning as well. The pad I liked best was a Therm-a-Rest because it wasn't as sweaty as any of the foam pads. My main problem (which made me switch to an underquilt in the end) was that one pad wasn't enough to cover my shoulders as well. When it got colder, I wasn't able to sleep well anymore.

Is there a difference in warmth between an underquilt and a pad? Depends on the underquilt / the pad. Both can be very warm. The pad is warm immediately, when you lay down on it. The underquilt needs a bit warming up.

I know about the customs problem. It would be great to have gear makers over here as well, but I guess there aren't enough buyers, yet. To avoid customs, the easiest is to bring it to Europe with you on a trip (or get a friend to take it for you). The quality is worth it...

BTW - I have a 3-season Yeti that I have been wanting to put up here for ages. If you're interested, send me a PM. I'm from Germany.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi
    Thanks for your opinions, kind of confirms what I have already read. Don't want to spend a fortune on one so have ordered a Snugpak.
    Looking at it on the net, it compresses to virtually the same size as my thermarest for only 350g more weight.
    I do a lot of car camping and only fairly short days hikes to a camp spot so i doubt I'll notice much extra weight. I'm far from an ultralight hiker...as I use a Molle modified Alice pack for my gear...
    I'll let ytou know how I get on when it arrives.

cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I use a WW blue pad at least down to 40 (ca. 5 c) and I think will work to 32 (0). cost $6, weighs 12 oz. No way can I justify a slight improve ment in comfort for a couple of hundred dollars. I don;trh have any difficulty falling right asleep after a day on the trail and sleeping through the night. Stick with pad(s)

• + New Posts