Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    For most uses of the ridgeline, the paracord is way overkill. So are the standard throwlines. Just calculate the loads on the line, which is a function of the difference between the hang angle of the hammock and the hang angle of the lines going to the trees.

It is thorougly usable, of course. But, note that the more you deviate in one direction from Warbonnetguy's recommended set up, putting greater tension on the ridgeline, the more the paracord ridgeline will stretch. Nylon is very stretchable under load. Set the hammock up so the ridgeline is just informational, as Brandon implies with his test of tightness, and there will be so little tension on the paracord that the hang won't change much.when it does stretch during the night. And then, it is obvious that something much lighter would suffice.

Note: It should be obvious that this response assumes usual use of the ridgeline. If the ridgeline extends to the trees, and the hammock hangs from it from prusiks, short or long, that is a different configuration, and obviousl the ridgeline needs to be strong for the tensions for the portions of the line between trees and prusiks.

The formulas are there to estimate / calculate the tension. A table of tensions for combinations of angles would be valuable. You'd see how often strands extracted from the Zing-It or Lashi-it, or 100 lb test fishing line would enough.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-05-2011 at 01:53. Reason: spelling & caveat

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I flicked my screen twice over your avatar... Still chuckling.

I use paracord on the ridge line, I had heaps of it and havn't been worried so much to upgrade as yet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I bought a throwline recently and I don't like it because it's too slippery. A prussik made of the same stuff won't hold on it under tension so it's useless as a ridgline IMO.

It was expensive too - def the dearest cord I've ever bought (£25 for orange string - really??) And it's no good!! Feel stung.

Used paracord for everything for 20 years & it's NEVER let me down. If anything, I always seem to have a length that's shorter than I need!

What else can I do? I don't have any thinner cord to make prussik loops & the orange throwline is pretty thin as it is, so prussiks of even thinner stuff looks as if it wouldn't be strong enough.

Cheers folks

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    If you have paracord, use it. It's decently strong and will do the job. I think the only reason a lot of us don't use paracord is because it stretches, like the other guys mentioned and of course its heavier when its wet.

Chillin, the throw lines have always had a miserable reputation with prusiks. A lot of them are designed to be as slick as possible for arborists. With use, the urethane coating wears off some. Some people have limited success with the klemheist on newer rope, but obviously YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinOut View Post
    I bought a throwline recently and I don't like it because it's too slippery. A prussik made of the same stuff won't hold on it under tension so it's useless as a ridgline IMO.

It was expensive too - def the dearest cord I've ever bought (£25 for orange string - really??) And it's no good!! Feel stung.

Used paracord for everything for 20 years & it's NEVER let me down. If anything, I always seem to have a length that's shorter than I need!

What else can I do? I don't have any thinner cord to make prussik loops & the orange throwline is pretty thin as it is, so prussiks of even thinner stuff looks as if it wouldn't be strong enough.

Cheers folks
    All dependent on what type of line you bought.... The need for prussiks can be eliminated by splicing the line into a fixed ridgeline. Unless you want something adjustable, then you can make a long whoopie sling.

Again, assuming the line is spliceable.

What are you attempting to do with prussiks that need to carry load on a ridgeline?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Cheers folks
    Sounds like the orange Z-line I just bought. This is very slippery stuff. I think with more wraps on the prussik, it will hold, though. I bought it to use as guy lines. I did notice that the more you mess around with it, the orange seems to start to wear off. Is this normal?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Except I missed this is for a tarp!!

Paracord will work, but will stretch to the point your tarp may sag, even if it doesnt get wet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Opie - All I'm doing is stringing up a continuous ridgeline & using prussiks to stretch the tarp out & make it easy to centre it ok, nothing out of the ordinary.

The stuff I bought is Stein Skyline 2mm Dyneema and yes, it could be spliced if I knew how to do it. Majorly disappointed with it - I honestly am. I had to change my tarp setup so that I attached each end independently - it took longer, involved a lot of swearing and was less easy on the eye too. In all honesty ordinary household string would have been better as it's more "grippy" for a prussik to get a hold on.

Maybe it's just me. I know paracord can stretch, be heavy & bulky - but it's cheap & does everything asked of it. I bought the throwline because it was gonna be lighter, looks sexy & is almost as strong as paracord...total waste of money. It's only good for guylines IMO, that and tying up Christmas presents!

If the throwline was "grippy" it would be perfect, but since it's not paracord looks like a reasonable alternative. Does anyone know of lightweight "grippy" stuff I could try instead (that doesn't cost a king's ransom!!)??

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Opie - All I'm doing is stringing up a continuous ridgeline & using prussiks to stretch the tarp out & make it easy to centre it ok, nothing out of the ordinary.

The stuff I bought is Stein Skyline 2mm Dyneema and yes, it could be spliced if I knew how to do it. Majorly disappointed with it - I honestly am. I had to change my tarp setup so that I attached each end independently - it took longer, involved a lot of swearing and was less easy on the eye too. In all honesty ordinary household string would have been better as it's more "grippy" for a prussik to get a hold on.

Maybe it's just me. I know paracord can stretch, be heavy & bulky - but it's cheap & does everything asked of it. I bought the throwline because it was gonna be lighter, looks sexy & is almost as strong as paracord...total waste of money. It's only good for guylines IMO, that and tying up Christmas presents!

If the throwline was "grippy" it would be perfect, but since it's not paracord looks like a reasonable alternative. Does anyone know of lightweight "grippy" stuff I could try instead (that doesn't cost a king's ransom!!)??
    Yeah, sorry bout that. I missed the part about a tarp ridgeline.

Have you tried increasing the number of wraps on the prussik? Or a different type of prussik.. Many have noticed the klemheist (sp) holds better on the slicker line. And I seem to remember there being another but I can not recall the name.

In general, "throwlines" will be slick by design. We have found them an ideal line because they can be spliced, eliminating knots and what not. Hard part is you are overseas and most of what we can get here costs you guys a second mortgage or you simply cant get it. Any of the newer lines that are made of dyneema are going to be slick and will need different treatment to get things to friction up on them.

Many folks have had good luck with masons line... What bricklayers use to keep their courses straight.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Kite outfitters are long on strong polyester lines. 50- 450 lb test. Seem more often to be called by an early trademark, "Dacron."

In many colors, too.They take and hold knots well. eg. And price is much lower.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/i...p/cPath/30_192

All UHMWPE lines will be slick. It is in the physical chemistry of the material. Some uncoated lines of the stuff will have more texture. Cortland / Puget Sound Cordage lists four sizes of Dyneema-based Plasma cord in their catalog with breaking strengths from 270 to 750 lbs , from 1.0mm to 1.75 mm nominal diameter, .05 to .14lb weight per 100 ft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast