Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook

Need cheap tarp for a HH scout

I was out running a small portion on the AT above Hamburg, PA and meet a Southbound thru-hiker named Link. He has a scout and a tiny little diamond tarp. Poor guy got soaked many times and not just by Irene. He also had no huggers, just ropes from the HH to tie around trees. He was just using what looked like clothes line on his tarp. We got that all straightened out but he still has that incredibly small tarp. So I thought I would ask to see if somebody has one for sale that I can get in the next few days and hook him up with it before he gets to far away. Please let me know as soon as possible because I would like to deliver it, hopefully before he hits Pine Grove Furnace.
    Last edited by Eagle Eye; 09-03-2011 at 19:06. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    I was out running a small portion on the AT above Hamburg, PA and meet a Southbound thru-hiker named Link. He has a scout and a tiny little diamond tarp. Poor guy got soaked many times and not just by Irene. He also had no huggers, just ropes from the HH to tie around trees. He was just using what looked like clothes line on his tarp. We got that all straightened out but he still has that incredibly small tarp. So I thought I would ask to see if somebody has one for sale that I can get in the next few days and hook him up with it before he gets to far away. Please let me know as soon as possible because I would like to deliver it, hopefully before he hits Pine Grove Furnace.
    **** that sucks I know they weigh alot but all I can think of is to get a bigger cheap tarp from walmart for the time being. since you dont have alot of time to get him one
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    It doesnt really suck. The kid says he is having the time of his life and I believe it. Wish I was out for a few months, knocking off 20 a day or so and just hanging around.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    It doesnt really suck. The kid says he is having the time of his life and I believe it. Wish I was out for a few months, knocking off 20 a day or so and just hanging around.
    just throwing out a suggestion. I dont like gettin wet
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Any constructions sites handy?? A big square of Tyvek makes a nice tarp when rigged on the diagonal. You can beef up the corners with a bit of tyvek tape and make some tieouts.

There are several threads on here on the subject. Take a look and see if that might work for your hiker friend.

I just bought a 2nd hand Etowah Outfitters tarp. The fit/finish isn't as nice as say an OES but should work fine. Looks like a store near you has them: WILDWARE OUTDOORS 995 PEIFFERS LANE HARRISBURG PA, 17109. Maybe give them a try.

Good Luck,

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Off hand tyvek scrap, 4-6 mil plastic, or cut 20-24 ft of coated nylon in half and do a flat fell seam down the new middle. Use a CRL, no tie in needed. 4 corner tie outs are 10 ft of light line like 1/8 in poly sash cord with a loop in one end. Put a pebble or small pine cone in the corner, fold over and drop a larks head over it. Stake out or tie off as available.

Look first to see that he hiker has his hammock sited well and the tarp over the hammock properly.

During a big blow, some screening from a small hill or cluster of trees on the windward side can be helpful. Also, attatch the fly directly to the hammock hanging lines to allow it to move down when the user's weight is added, as the set-up was designed.

Make sure that the side corners are aligned and pull those sides out snugly first, then pull the long ends tight. Pitch the sides lower when rain is expected. Yes, it reduces ventilation, but if wind is blowing in, so may be rain. Raising fly the sides and separate ropes for haning the fly are great it fair weather, but...

I have had to get up to adjust fly tie-outs in heavy weather, but usually stay dry. Once I had to move over a bit to one side of my hammock. The time I ended up with a puddle, my hiking companion had knocked a side tie-out off of it's stake, so one side of the fly flapped open. The puddle was not due a design flaw, other than the design of setting up too close to that friend.

One more easy, cheap, light thing: Tie plastic shopping bags to the tie-out corners and add a few rocks. The weight will reduce flapping.

Regards,
    Last edited by Rosaleen; 09-04-2011 at 09:25. Reason: typo
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    You know, the cheaper poly tarps weigh just a few ounces more than a PU coated nylon tarp. They are bulky and need some help with pitching, but that beats getting wet. A 10'x12' tarp will swallow the Scout hammock. He may get by with smaller, but we know a 10x12 will give him good coverage in stinky weather.

I have a 10x12 reinforced poly tarp that is green on one side and brown on the other and it weighs 27 ounces. To compare, a Hennessy PU coated Hex Tarp is 23oz and a silnylon one is 18oz, so we're talking a 9oz difference max. Take a look at the OES web site and the weights there-- it is surprising. http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ular_tarps.php

I paid $7 for the poly tarp on sale, which is the real point. You might need to fiddle a bit to get ridgeline tie outs in the right places, but there are all kinds of gadgets for that, or you can buy a grommet kit for cheap.

• + New Posts