Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Waking up on a late summer morning

Okay, I get the posts in place for my back yard hammock road tests and got my new WB Traveler hung with great success.

So I spent the night and woke up to a late summer sunrise with the birds singing and me swaying under the clear blue sky. Man was meant for this!

Waking up with no tarp overhead was a treat, looking up into the trees, watching the birds and golden shafts of sunlight coming through.

Last night a meteor went over that was the biggest and brightest I have ever seen, with a big fat tail.
    Last edited by DaleW; 09-03-2011 at 12:45.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    hammock nirvana
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO sn/ WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    WS all-in-one
    Sounds good to me man. It's things like that the define the quality of the life you live. Forget the numbers like salary, and worth of estate. Everytime I find myself off the beaten path swining in a hammock I think to myself I've found where/when I belong.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove any doubt in the matter." Mark Twain

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Speer/thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie
    that has got to be one of the best feelings in the world no way to get that feeling in a tent even with the rain fly off of it

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    What an awesome feelin'! I can't go completely topless here in Ga. The caterpillars and other tree dwellers will bomb you all night (not good if your mouth happens to be open). I just use the smallest tarp I can and pitch it high. It's not too hard to get a nice view of the horizon and soak up some of the night sky.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds great to me. The weather is finally getting cooler down here for camping. Nights in the 60's and daytime temps in the 80's. Only one problem. I had to send my hammock off for custom fitting an UQ. Oh well, the weather will only be getting better from now on, and I will be getting my hammock back in a few weeks.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Okay, I get the posts in place for my back yard hammock road tests and got my new WB Traveler hung with great success.

So I spent the night and woke up to a late summer sunrise with the birds singing and me swaying under the clear blue sky. Man was meant for this!

Waking up with no tarp overhead was a treat, looking up into the trees, watching the birds and golden shafts of sunlight coming through.

Last night a meteor went over that was the biggest and brightest I have ever seen, with a big fat tail.
    Awesome description! I'm jealous!

P.S. As long as the birds continue flying past you leaving you unmolested.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

need a post

Well I've got one pecan tree about 3 feet around in my back yard so I really need to think about a post in the ground. any suggestions as to how you did it.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um No More
    Tarp
    BCUSA Coyote 10x10
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu39 View Post
    What an awesome feelin'! I can't go completely topless here in Ga. The caterpillars and other tree dwellers will bomb you all night (not good if your mouth happens to be open). I just use the smallest tarp I can and pitch it high. It's not too hard to get a nice view of the horizon and soak up some of the night sky.
    So it's a bad thing to wake up less hungry than you were when you fell asleep?
    Palmetto State Hangers Facebook Group

Last Hang Attended 2013 Fall Sprawl Trip Report

Next Hang To Attend 2014 Spring Swing

I can only afford to live free.
    Anything else cost far too much.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jima59 View Post
    Well I've got one pecan tree about 3 feet around in my back yard so I really need to think about a post in the ground. any suggestions as to how you did it.
    Easy: a 4"x6"x10' (or bigger) construction grade treated timber with 3' in the ground. The soil here is compacted glacial hardpan, and one edge of each timber is up against my concrete slab patio, so I didn't bother with concrete. As I tamped the soil back in around the timber, I jammed rocks in too. They are solid. I have one at each corner of the patio, giving me a 16' span and clears the shrubs a garden fence and arbor.

I works well, giving me lots of privacy. The yard has a tall fence and I have quiet neighbors (except that #$%^& little dog). The patio table is at arm's reach and the portable phone and wifi work out there. There is a weatherproof AC outlet close by on the corner of the house.

Today I planted some ivy starts at the base of each timber to help camouflage them. They do look a little like the monolith in 2001, a Space Odyssey. I'm thinking of putting a bracket at the top of each one for a hanging basket. When the Christmas lights go one sale, I'll get a string of white LED's to hang between them for summer nights.

I bought one of those cheap Grand Trunk Funky Forest tarps and I was thinking of rigging that for shade.

I slept out last night and had a good snooze. I have a portable XM satellite radio and that is very cool for hanging. I caught the news on BBC as the sun came up and I finally had to hit the bathroom and get the coffee going. I went back out with my coffee and had a visit from Toby, my Aussie Shepherd, who we both found out is tall enough to stick his head in the hammock when I have the bug net open. So there I was, scratching the mutt's ears, swingin' in the cool morning air and watching the sunrise.

I DON'T WANNA GO TO WORK TOMORROW

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast