Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    It must have been a small mistake by brandon. I don't think he would intentionally ship the hammock with a 96" ridgeline. That is too short for most folks and would cause you problems most likely. 100" is where you want. Glad you figured it out.

Now get you a net for it. I have Wilderness Logic's bugnet for my traveler and it is sweet. I like it because you can just toss gear into the bottom of the net. Very nice and well made.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Its quite alright by me,,I am a tweaker and always messing with my equipment till I get it all my way,,was going to put a whoopie ridgeline on it anyhow..no biggie by me,,and plan on lightening it by putting whoopie slings on it to attach to my tree slings for backpacking,,but for now leaving the straps and buckles on it as they are very nice,,have the whoopies already made so can change it out when the time comes. great lay tho,,just what I was looking for,,love the wider material and might just have to order another for the wife once she trys it out.. I have a piece of bug netting to clamp on the ridgeline that hangs over the sides perfectly cut for it as I worked on it last nite too,,and weighs 6 oz including clamps and netting sack for it to go in,,so very happy with my DYI setup on it, will take picks later on and post when this I get time. And plan on hanging this weekend outside. We have a cold front coming in tonite and can't wait on the temps to cool into the 50's at nite. Its been a long hot summer!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    It must have been a small mistake by brandon. I don't think he would intentionally ship the hammock with a 96" ridgeline. That is too short for most folks and would cause you problems most likely. 100" is where you want. Glad you figured it out.

Now get you a net for it. I have Wilderness Logic's bugnet for my traveler and it is sweet. I like it because you can just toss gear into the bottom of the net. Very nice and well made.
    The Traveler 1.1 I got yesterday had the ridgeline at 96" too. It wasn't bad, but of course after reading this thread, I let it out to 100", which was a bit better. There are so many variables with the height, span, user weight and height, pad use, etc, that it is hard to get real apples and apples comparisons.

I did test drive last night and used a Papa Smurf bug sock that was a good fit. It did *just* make it over the buckle on the foot end.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Per this thread, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=489563 , Brandon has recently been shipping with a 98" ridgeline instead of 100", at least for the WBBB.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Per this thread, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=489563 , Brandon has recently been shipping with a 98" ridgeline instead of 100", at least for the WBBB.
    Mine was 96" on the nose. When I had the ridgeline untied, I measured the hammock end to end pulled tight and got 116" and the same measurement running a cloth tape down the side, so I would say the length is 116" with the ends gathered and whipped. I tried the ridgeline at 100" and then set it back to 97", which gives the recommended 83%, using 97/116. I found that I like it at 97" and slightly tauter when loaded than the Warbonnet video shows-- not "guitar string tight" ---- I can still rock it 15° or so.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    the weight on the traveler with Nano 23 biners on the ends of the webbing for attaching,,came it at a even 20 oz on my digital scale. Just took the webbing off and installed whoopies, and on the whoopies each had a prussic loop of about 5 inches with a Nano 23 biner on each end. Weight came in at 15.5 oz..very nice,,at the 6 oz of mosquito netting and clips for it and at 21.5 oz including the 2 bags for everything,,I could downsize to one bag if I knew I was definitely using the mosquito netting or in late fall and winter,,just leave it at home. I really like this light weight setup and will play with the ridgeline setting it back to 96 or 97 or 98 and see how I sleep each nite. Bet its basically the same,,Rockin Kick Butt sleep like a log routine!! lol I love this set up with a NR UQ or even so, had my wifes hot pink Jarbridge on it and later will get some pics of it for everybody to see,,if your trying to stealth camp forget it with hot pink.!! LMAO..super loud color!

Prussic is for attaching to my tarp at each end during a sevear blowing wind if I want. I can take them off any time as well,,but wanted to see what the totally weight with everything in the bag was going to be.
    Last edited by Acer; 09-03-2011 at 12:59.

Images
    i've used 100" for most of the time i've been in business, i did switch to 98" recently, and the reason was that i started using a lighter version of noseeum and it had slightly different stretch characteristics. there's only about an inch of play in how much the netting piece can be stretched out before it starts deforming cosmetically, so i set the RL length so the netting lays nice and flat. even more recently, i've found the new lighter netting to be inconsistent from the supplier on tear strength and decided it wasn't worth the small weight savings (of an ounce for the blackbird i think), the normal weight noseeum netting is only slightly heavier and more durable/tear resistent.

so, i switched back to the normal weight net and the 100" RL for the blackbird. i'm using excess 98" lines for the traveler's, and those will go back to 100" when those are gone.

i know people will disagree with me but i don't think you can tell the difference in only a 2" change in RL length, 6+" yeah but not 2, the other factors of the hang are what make the changes(IMO). popular preferences for the RL on a hammock this length are anywhere from 95-105". people can and do adjust the length to their preference.

as for hammock length, the "hammock length" refers to the length of the hammock fabric (bed fabric)

measuring a RL could be done several different ways and you could get a couple different numbers.

we tie our loops with a knot, then hang it "jumprope-style" and someone stands on it with full body-weight and bounces a couple times. this is to tighten the knot, mainly because the length will grow by several inches just from the difference between a hand-tight knot and fully-loaded tight (from the knot tightening down and letting line through). in addition to that, the weave will tighten as well and cause elongation somewhat. for instance, i can make a RL, load it to body weight, measure it at 100" and throw it in a pile for a week. after a week or so i can measure the same RL at 99". "the weave relaxes and it shrinks" is the only reason i can come up with. i can load it to bodyweight again and it will elongate back to 100" and will stay that way for days and 100" will always be it's max length.

so the length of my RL's are measured tip to tip, removed from the hammock and just after bodyweight loading to measure their maximum length (the length they will be when under stain in the hammock application).

the sides of the hammock will always be loose and floppy, that's how they are supposed to be. this allows you to better lay diagonally.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    very good information,,thank you for posting it. Keep up the great work you do.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    .... i know people will disagree with me but i don't think you can tell the difference in only a 2" change in RL length, 6+" yeah but not 2,
    Well I agree and you have to factor in weight, body shape/height, pad use, and the span of the hang. 16' is a very different stress than 12'.

I'm liking my new Traveler a lot. Thanks for the quality product and excellent service-- and all this good info.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i know people will disagree with me but i don't think you can tell the difference in only a 2" change in RL length, 6+" yeah but not 2, the other factors of the hang are what make the changes(IMO).
    I can tell the difference between them, especially on a fabric bed that I'm used to. So I guess I have to disagree with you about that. If people couldn't tell the difference, there would be much less need to tweak ridgelines in the first place...

I think it's somewhat misleading to change ridgeline lengths without notice or explanation, especially to a hammock with established specifications. If you're using 98" ridgelines, at a minimum your product page should reflect that even if it's temporary.

I'd argue that using up a batch of ridgelines isn't worth introducing inconsistency to your product line.

JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast