Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 DL :thumbup:

A got a package from Colorado this afternoon, with a new Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 double layer hammock in it

I went roaring downstairs and got the dogs all excited, grabbed a couple carabiners and a wide foam pad and headed out to the trees.

I had reservations about ordering the web strap system, solely due to weight, but I like the system a lot. When you get down to it, you are going to be using tree straps regardless and they aren't free and they add weight. Likewise whoopie slings-- not much weight, but not free. So what you are really adding is the short length of webbing from the tree to the hammock and the buckles. We're talking a few ounces total. I like the ease of hanging, having fewer parts and less to loose. I can imagine that some have left tree straps behind --- at home and the campsite. It is dead simple to switch this hammock to whoopies and separate straps if preferred.

So I took a Camp Nano carabiner, threw the strap around the tree and clipped in, and repeated and rinsed on the other end. I gave each end a final adjustment and slipped a pad in between the layers. Done.

I'm using a pad that is 26"x 1/2" thick Olefin foam, like the ones sold at Walmart. Mine is black, but has the same segment/tile look to it. I had rounded the corners after experimenting with other hammocks and I recommend that-- just take a scissors and trim the corners round. It is a little bulky, but my pack has straps to hold a rolled pad, so it is manageable and the weight is very acceptable for a CCF pad.

The double layers really address the issues I have had with using foam pads in a hammock. It works and is quite comfortable. I can live with this combination for summer camping. It reduces the cost, weight, and bulk to a workable level. I can see using a space blanket along with the pad to extend the range just a bit more and wouldn't be afraid to go to 40F or so. And I can still use my undercover and Garlington Insulators to add more protection.

I really like the 65" width. I'm 5'10" and it has plenty of room and my feet and toes don't feel cramped. I was able to get a nice flat lay with little effort or fiddling and the ridge line is still flexible with my 220 pounds in the rack.

My plan is to use this for summer camping with a 2.8oz Papa Smurf tulle bug sock, the foam pad, Camp Nano carabiners, a silnylon Hennessy XL rain cape/tarp and MSR Groundhog stakes. I have 32F and 20F rated synthetic sleeping bags for topside insulation options. That leaves me at 50oz--- just a bit over 3 pounds before the sleeping bag, which is very comparable to a light 1 man double wall tent, ground cover and sleeping pad and I get the rain gear coverage in the bargain.

Heavier weather would move me to add my poncho undercover, Garlington Insulators (maybe in combo with the pad and space blanket) and a Hennessy Hex tarp. A big Cuben tarp is on my wish list for sure.

My first impressions:

Quality workmanship and materials

Strong, simple suspension system

Comfortable lay, wide with good fabric

Easy to use with foam pad insulation

Acceptable weight for backpacking (23.5oz for hammock and suspension)

Excellent value ($75 plus shipping)

I recommend it to any who need a quality hammock at reasonable expense. The ability to use a CCF pad keeps the cost down for newbies and/or families and makes for an excellent lightweight hiking combo.
    Last edited by DaleW; 09-02-2011 at 17:35.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I don't care how old we are..its great to get new equipment isn't it...??? I am like a kid in a candy store! Glad you love it! I love mine too!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Got a good test drive last night and slept well with the CCF pad, a 32F synthetic bag with a low of 48F. The pad is 50" long and my feet were okay and my right calf a little cool this morning. I usually add a Z-Sit folding CCF foam sit pad to supplement my short sleeping pads and I forgot to use that.

My Papa Smurf bug sock worked fine. The opening on the foot end was a tight fit on the Warbonnet buckle and I did need the extra length provided by clearing the buckle. After one slight stretch it is easy to clear the buckle.

I also got a chance to try it with my poncho/undercover/SuperShelter clone. Fits like a glove
    Last edited by DaleW; 09-03-2011 at 13:47.

• + New Posts