Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Talking DYI WBBB Hammock Thoughts (Plans)

Ok after building my DYI WBBB hammock using the combination of the "DIW "WarBird" WBB style hammock" plans from this forum and from the "Black Goat Gear Double Layer Hammock Pattern" I realized something and I wanted to share what I discovered with the rest of the forum. Anyway the hammock came out great when I was done with it and I couldn't be happier with it. But once the project was done I began to analyze the project and what went right and wrong with putting it together. This got me thinking about the project and ways to solve them to make things better for the next build I do. One of my biggest issues was with the foot box side and fitting the bug net to finish up the hammock.

When I was looking at my finished hammock and the photos of the WWBB hammock on this site I realized that the foot box side didn't look totally the same and the lines were not totally smooth like you see in the photos. FYI you can see what my cut out patterns look like on the hammock I built by looking up this thread "Looking for some help on my DYI WBBB" which I posted not too long ago. So since I am a drafter/designer by profession I took on the challenge to fix the look and pattern for the foot box side of the hammock. Also in doing this I wanted to make a good cutout pattern for the bug net so you wouldn't need to do the set up the hammock and pin the bug net in place and then attach it to finish it up and pray that nothing slips on you before your done.

So after analyzing the plans again and also looking my hammock the idea came to mind to use more of the "Cat" style cuts and arc the cuts to create the shelf and do the same from the tie outs to the end of the hammock. Unlike the straight block cuts I did on my build. Also this would make the foot box side symmetrical along the ridge line to the zipper side when it is pulled out with the tie outs. So with both sides of the hammock being symmetrical I was able to make the bug net pattern really easy.

Making sure the math and the lengths of the mating edges came out in my layouts I finally had a good cut out pattern for the hammock. I did make sure to have 3" of extra length to the body of the hammock to allow for the rolled hem and gathered end channel. Also the pattern I came up with would always shorten the length of the cut out body by 2 feet. The proper ridge line length could be pretty much determined and set but that can be always be debated for each person.

So to prove out my cut out plans, I decided to make a scaled down version of the WBBB hammock from some of the scraps that I had left over. So I had the scaled drawing printed out and I built the hammock for the most part just like I would of if it was full size. I did not alter any part of the pattern when cutting out I strictly only used the printed pattern pinned to my material. Attached with this thread is some photos of the scaled hammock with it set up and weighed down like a person would be in it. It turn out really nice and sure looks a lot more like the WBBB hammock and was far easier to put together than the first one built. Even the bug net fit perfectly on and I didn't have to set up the hammock and measure a thing just cut it out and sewed it on. Now all I have to do is get the material gathered together to build me a new full sized hammock.

Finally to let everyone in on my good fortune... ha ha. I am adding the printed plans and I have made this thread as well. There are three versions of the hammock an 8ft, 9ft, and 10ft long so you can pick the size for you. The thought for this thread was not to give all the detailed instructions on making the hammock I think there is plenty of information and videos on doing that but more to give out a better set of plans that can be drawn out on the ripstop nylon and cut out. So here they are enjoy and I would love to hear feedback on any builds from these drawings.

TheXringHunt

P.S. Don't mind the photo's they were taken with my cell so they are not the best quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    They look good. May take me a bit to link it up with the available instructions but very helpful.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Dragon360, The good assembly instructions can be found in the first two links I provided.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    nice, what size is that hammock? it looks very small.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Good job on the plans! I want to make another this winter so this plan will help. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    I think I know a few small animals that would love to use it. I'm guessing it started as 1 yard 60" wide, so what we are seeing is quarter scale of a 10' hammock. I may be wrong, but it's what I have thought about doing for some ideas I have.

TheXringHunt,

Could you please add a 12' hammock pattern?

So what is this the Symibird?
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 09-02-2011 at 17:48. Reason: SymiBird?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I think I know a few small animals that would love to use it. I'm guessing it started as 1 yard 60" wide, so what we are seeing is quarter scale of a 10' hammock. I may be wrong, but it's what I have thought about doing for some ideas I have.

TheXringHunt,

Could you please add a 12' hammock pattern?
    Good guess on the size of the test hammock, for the record it is just a bit over 1/4 scale. The RL is about 25 inches long and the pattern I started with was one for an 8'-0" hammock.

I am not sure once and animal is zipped into the hammock they would like it or be scared out the wazoo. I would give it to one of my daughters to use with there dolls but they are a bit old for that.

OK I could add a 12 foot long hammock but it will have to wait until the first of next week when I go back to work. The files on on my computer there.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    That's awesome...Barbie's first hammock!
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    sorry double posted from my "not-so" smart phone.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 09-03-2011 at 06:42. Reason: double posted sorry
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXringHunt View Post
    Good guess on the size of the test hammock, for the record it is just a bit over 1/4 scale. The RL is about 25 inches long and the pattern I started with was one for an 8'-0" hammock.

I am not sure once and animal is zipped into the hammock they would like it or be scared out the wazoo. I would give it to one of my daughters to use with there dolls but they are a bit old for that.

OK I could add a 12 foot long hammock but it will have to wait until the first of next week
    when I go back to work. The files on on my computer there.
    I guess I did learn something in all those design technology classes after all. Although, I can't use my work computer for personal designs. Certainly understand the holiday weekend is coming up; I'll be on the lookout for the 12 footer.
    I never posted in the thread for pet hammocks, cause no one would believe if I didn't have a pic.
    I own a full blooded oriental feline that is like no cat I've ever known, he eats raw tomatoes & potatoes. It's not uncommon for him to hide in my gear, loves down sleeping bags, and jump out to attack my feet. I'm pretty sure if I hung that scale hammock in my living room and opened the zipper just enough he would eventually find his way into it, especially if I didn't want him messing with it.

-A.A.

P.S. A friend has 3 ferrets that already sleeep in a hammock together.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast