Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    No concerns on my end, Chris. After seeing your company, I thought it would be a good idea to see all the manufacturers that have a giving-back program.

Please get back to the OP, everyone (I'm no mod, so my power is limited here). I really wanted to see who else in the industry is doing this sort of thing. I think it would be helpful for those who care, sort of like those who only buy American-made.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    Trek Light Gear has been promoting the 'business for a cause' model for many years now as many of you I'm sure know. Our 'Buy A Hammock, Plant A Tree' program (along with the Arbor Day Foundation) has been incredible and we've planted thousands of trees in areas that desperately need reforestation.

It's good to see that the model seems to be growing in popularity with hammock companies right now. It's worth pointing out that there's a difference between what TLG does (automatic donation with every purchase) and what some of the newer companies are promoting (X% of future net profits). Simply my opinion, but I believe the business charity model can be a little misleading when it's based on potential future profits and there's no way to know what or how much impact your purchase will have.

Either way, it's great to see it spread and makes me believe more and more that hammocks are going to save the world!

[EDIT] I almost forgot to mention our '1% For The Forums' program we started a couple years back! Don't forget, any time you purchase a hammock at TrekLightGear.com and choose 'HammockForums.net' as how you heard about us we'll automatically plant a tree and donate 1% of the total back to the forums.
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great! Thanks Seth!

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    @Chris - I was just checking out your website to learn more about your SoCo's charity model and was a little disappointed to find a good amount of text literally cut and pasted directly from my site. Most of what I found copied was in your FAQ but I haven't explored your entire site yet.

I welcome all new hammock companies to the scene and especially to the Forums community but if you're starting a new hammock company that's very similar to what's already out there it's probably a good idea not to copy the text verbatim from other manufacturer's websites.

I was hesitant to post this publicly as it's not my intention to cast any negative light on your new business, but since it's possible there are other manufacturers who may want to check for borrowed copy I figured it's best to have it out in the open. Please just remove the text copied from the site as soon as you can and I'm happy. I don't want to take this thread any more off subject though so feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss the issue more.
    Last edited by TrekLightGear; 09-06-2011 at 23:14.
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow Seth, I see what you mean. I hope it was just laziness and not something more sinister. Either way, that is enough to turn me away from his business. Perhaps if he was to remove the text and give an explanation and public apology, I might give them a chance. TrekLightGear has served the hammock community for a while with great products and equally great customer service with integrity. Not sure why Chris couldn't do the same.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    you know what they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. That being said I find it odd that all of these companies have the same layout, material, manufacturer for their hammocks.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Imitation perhaps is the most sincere form of flattery, but out and out copyright infringement isnt. The same manufacturer? I'm a bit confused by that.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    you know what they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. That being said I find it odd that all of these companies have the same layout, material, manufacturer for their hammocks.
    I think imitation is flattering in hair styles, clothing, and cool hand shakes, but when it comes to business, it's theft. Well, that's my hard line view anyway. So many companies don't try to innovate, so instead they imitate the innovators, in some cases trying to get their knock off to market before the "real" one in hopes of capturing some profit.

Sometimes it feels like hammocks have nothing left to change, but there are some great designs out there. Maybe the basic design is as perfect and simple as it gets, but there are innovations waiting to surface, especially in the accessories: bug nets, rain gear, warmth, wind, etc.

It should be no secret that gen-x, gen-y, and millenials seem to gravitate toward "socially conscious" companies. Millenials want to "do good" while at the same time being voracious consumers. It's no wonder, then, that more companies have social justice programs built into their business model. On the one hand, I think it's great and I applaud those companies who are sincere. On the other hand, I'm cautious if the sincerity only runs skin deep.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Snake Skins, Structural Ridge Lines, pirated copy...it's hard to see the line through this murky water.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    I don't think it's cool that soco copy and pasted pages from Seth and by manufacture I'm saying trek light, eno, soco, hammock bliss they all have exactly the same hammocks all around the same price. They all have the solid color center and alternating color "flaps" on the side that serve little purpose considering the common ENO mod of cutting them off. I agree that there is not much left to innovate in terms of hammock design and it comes down to quilts suspension and the such.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast