Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Material for SRL

Hello all! First off I'd like to introduce myself: My name is Jason and I live in Asheville NC. I recently got into hammock-camping, and I'm hooked. So far I've got a Doublenest with and a Jarbidge from AHE and a Maccat Deluxe on the way.

Now towards the point; After reading all of your posts for the past few weeks, I've decided that a Structural-Ridge-Line would be a great help in allowing me to set my hammock up quickly, by making sure I get it right the first time.

I understand the basic concept behind the SLR, but I've got a couple of questions.

1. What material should I use? Dynaglide? Amsteel?
    I tried using 550 paracord, but needless to say with the stretch it didn't perform as it was intended to.

2. What's the best way to tie the SLR?
    Should I use an already made whoopie sling? Taught-line hitch?

3. Has anyone purchased an already made SLR, like the Dynaglide Ridgeline from AHE? Would it be worth the extra dollars to take this route?

Any suggestions would be a great help.

P.S. I would like to thank/compliment every contributor to this forum for allowing this incredible free-flowing of ideas from computer to computer, person to person. It's rare to find a forum with this level of information, and with members who are so helpful. 13381 heads are better than one! That's for sure.

Images
    I use an adjustable structural ridgeline which is basically a whoopie sling. I got mine from lymphocytosis in a gear swap. Mine is 7/64 amsteel. lymphocytosis sells these at http://nkoutdoorgear.webs.com/apps/w...s/show/2593753.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I would go with some of the non stretch you already have metioned(dynaglide, amsteel, techline etc) for the reason you mentioned.
    And i just larksheaded it around the suspension cords at the ends, very easy to do or undo if necessary.

There is a rule of thumb that declares the ridgeline should be around 80% length of the hammockbody(when flat stretched out) But play around a bit and find your optimal setting
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    When did I write this?? I was thinking the same thing today. I have 25ft of amsteel ( was going to be whoopies for the wifey, but she does not want). Thinking that a SRL could be a nice touch.

Come on pro's, show us new guys whats what!
    "Its ok... I have a hammock!"

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Hi Jason, and welcome to the forum!

You can go a couple of different routes with the ridgeline. I agree with Bomber, use something nonstretch. Any of the Dyneema lines like Amsteel work great for that. You can use Dynaglide or the 2.2 mil Zing-it, but those can be hard to come by in short lengths. Arrowhead Equipment sells the Dynaglide in 25 foot lengths, and I don't know of anyone who carries the 2.2 mil in less than 180'. You can get Amsteel by the foot at several of the vendors here on the site. You can use the 1.75 mm Zing-it, but it has an upper weight limit consideration.

If you know what length you want, you don't have to do anything fancy. Just tie some knots. In some cases, that can be tough because Amsteel in particular is quite slick and doesn't hold knots well. In my experience though, if you can get the knot to hold enough to put some weight on it, it will "settle" in and then it will be really hard to get them undone. My first DIY had a ridgeline like that. Under no circumstances would I advocate making a suspension line like that, though. It would be dangerous. Alternatively, you can splice the rope to make a fixed eye at each end.

If you're not sure what length to use, try out an adjustable ridgeline. It's like a whoopie sling, but the adjustable portion is shorter. Instead of being four or five feet, it's more like three. You can string it up and adjust it to your heart's content until you dial it in. I'd say make one adjustable between 90" and 120". That will pretty much cover the gamut of lengths you'd likely want.

They're easy to make, and good luck! I'm sure it will make your hang more enjoyable.
    Last edited by lymphocytosis; 08-30-2011 at 15:06. Reason: Fixing a typo

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So do must of you guys you adjustable Ridgelines or set ones?

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I recently purchased some 7/64 amsteel from redden marine and my first project was an adjustable ridgeline for one of my eno dns. Which I learned to make here. I like the adjustable feature because my indoor set up is a little different when I move to the yard. The whoopies are easy to make and easy to install.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I just use fixed ones... works great for me - not much trouble untying a knot to adjust length
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard Jason, I use a version of headchange4u's SLS, single line suspension. It's a sticky in the suspension forum. Keep on enjoying the fun!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by icedfire477 View Post
    So do must of you guys you adjustable Ridge lines or set ones?
    You will probably want to adjust it at first to see how it works. Once you get a good length you will probably leave it alone. You also may want to be able to unclip it. For that reason I would go with light non stretch line and tie a loop in one end, fasten the other to a hammock end. Fasten another piece to the other end then tie a clove hitch around a carbiner. Clip the loop in other line to the biner. Set 80% of the hammock length to start. Use a marker to put witness marks every half in for 6 in and start playing. That way I can change the length easily while keeping track of what I am doing. When done I would either put in a single line or get a Dutch biner. YMMV ;-)

• + New Posts