Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smiley View Post
    Here's the trick. Take three stud length 2x4s and nail them together floor to ceiling on either side of the room. Run a 2x4, cut to fit tightly, across the room and tight against the ceiling to fit snuggly between the jacks (the sets of nailed together 2x4's). Scew a block of wood to the floor, tightly against the bottom of both jacks. Now this next part can be a bit of a trick. You want to drill a 3/8 hole into the jacks towards the wall at the top and bottom, no more than 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Place a 3 inch drywall screw in each and tighten securely. Insert your eyebolts as needed and hang that hammock.
    Now this was a rather grewsome and simple method, but you could dress the frame up up with paint or stain, do some routing, even use some decorative posts. In the end, it's your hang. As far as the hammock is concerned. My boys prefer a Wal Mart canvas painters drop cloth.
    Outstanding.

The OP also wishes to have some insulation from the bottom for indoor use, so I assume compactness is not so critical. I wonder whether there is a single set of suggestions in archives for estimating the differential lengths between the two layers he anticipates, beside trial and error. If he knew, for example that three inches each in greater length and width of the bottom layer would provide 1 inche of space after the hammock was loaded, he could know to fill that space, loosely,with a less-expensive synthetic comforter, for bottom warmth.

Nevermind my thinking the hem transition would be messy. I'm not very familiar with sewing and my friend pointed out it could be hemmed differently than what I was thinking. I'm going to go ahead and pick up some fabric today. I was looking at a few different materials at wal-mart. There was a sturdy feeling canvas and it felt fairly pleasant.

What's going to be the easiest/cheapest suspension option for me to use for my indoor hammock? Also what is a fixed end? I've seen this term used several times but it's not in the glossary either.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    Unfortunately it's too long >.>

The bedroom is only about 11x11.
    Assuming it's the common variety come apart stand the middle and ends are separate tubes that slip over pins welded to the foot piece. Sometimes there are bolts crosswise to keep the parts together. Sometimes they just stick after assembly.

You can shorten it by either cutting off part of the center tube or replacing the bottom pipe with a shorter piece. You need to match the wall thickness of the tubing and the outside diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Assuming it's the common variety come apart stand the middle and ends are separate tubes that slip over pins welded to the foot piece. Sometimes there are bolts crosswise to keep the parts together. Sometimes they just stick after assembly.

You can shorten it by either cutting off part of the center tube or replacing the bottom pipe with a shorter piece. You need to match the wall thickness of the tubing and the outside diameter.
    Already took care of this part. I'm at the stage where I just need to construct and hang my hammock. I understand the construction for the most part, I'm just not sure about the suspension. My hammock stand has hooks on either end. I just need to know what kind of material to use to tie the hammock up on either end and how to tie it.
    Last edited by dean; 09-01-2011 at 07:22.

Haven't posted in a while but I did manage to get a hammock put together. I kind of winged it on the knots and suspension but I haven't fallen out of the hammock in the past week or so that I've been sleeping in it so no complaints from me

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Pictures Please!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    Haven't posted in a while but I did manage to get a hammock put together. I kind of winged it on the knots and suspension but I haven't fallen out of the hammock in the past week or so that I've been sleeping in it so no complaints from me
    Great news. How much do you weigh? Any rope rated for 400# WORKING strength should be ok. I also have mule tape, rated at 1800# breaking strength (works out to about 350lbs working load) I use the stuff all the time to hang from at home. You can have some for 5x what I paid for it... so 5 x $0 = $0 plus shipping...

Definitely take some Pics!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

I weigh around 145 lbs and I'm 5' 10". I didn't see any rating on the cord I purchased. I got the thicker cording at home depot and the gathered ends were done with some regular nylon string that I had a spool of already. The fabric cost me more than anything. I paid around $14 for 2.5 yards (at least I think that's how much I got).

I'll get some pics up when I get a chance. My place is kind of a mess. I've got a bunch of furniture I'm trying to get rid of just kind of laying around.

Not the best pic but here:

I'll try to take some better ones when I get a chance. My place is kind of cluttered with a bunch of furniture I'm trying to get rid of so maneuvering to take a pic was a pain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123