Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um No More
    Tarp
    BCUSA Coyote 10x10
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Here's the trick. Take three stud length 2x4s and nail them together floor to ceiling on either side of the room. Run a 2x4, cut to fit tightly, across the room and tight against the ceiling to fit snuggly between the jacks (the sets of nailed together 2x4's). Scew a block of wood to the floor, tightly against the bottom of both jacks. Now this next part can be a bit of a trick. You want to drill a 3/8 hole into the jacks towards the wall at the top and bottom, no more than 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Place a 3 inch drywall screw in each and tighten securely. Insert your eyebolts as needed and hang that hammock.
    Now this was a rather grewsome and simple method, but you could dress the frame up up with paint or stain, do some routing, even use some decorative posts. In the end, it's your hang. As far as the hammock is concerned. My boys prefer a Wal Mart canvas painters drop cloth.
    Last edited by Captain Smiley; 08-30-2011 at 19:37.
    Palmetto State Hangers Facebook Group

Last Hang Attended 2013 Fall Sprawl Trip Report

Next Hang To Attend 2014 Spring Swing

I can only afford to live free.
    Anything else cost far too much.

Already came up with a fix that should work. The stand I have is made of three parts. I can just use a shorter base bar so that they're not so far apart. I think pvc will be strong enough if I can't find the same diameter pipe in metal.

I am still confused about the loops at the ends and, hemming, and determining what fabric size to use. A guy on youtube said to add 7 inches to your height to determine the length of fabric to use but didn't mention anything about width. Is this is a good rule of thumb to use?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Most here use height + 4'. If you pick up 4 yds it should be 60" wide. You won't need it all but you will want to sew up a ridge line organizer later.Start at 11' with a temporary whip, try that and see how it feels. Rewhip at 10 1/2' and try it. There is an amazing amount of information in the diy forum. Don't be in a big hurry, Enjoy the fun!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I'd go 4'+ if I could but I'm stuck with the base I already have. It's probably best that it's a bit lower just in case I were to fall on the base of the support.

Do I really need a ridgeline or ridgeline orgranizer? John Sawyer said it's not very useful in an indoor setting which is exactly what my hammock will be for.

What do the terms whip and rewhip mean? I couldn't find them in the glossary http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Go to the diy forum and read the two stickys, Knotty's gathered end hammock and headchange4u's hennesey clone. After those check out Grizz's series on the grizzbridge for a little something different. Most of your questions are answered there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    And for what it's worth, you'll also find that many here use their height plus just TWO feet for hammock length. That will fit your space better and still be comfortable. 60" width is standard.

Knotty's post about making a gathered-end hammock is great. Many people have also just tied a simple overhand knot at each end. My first hammock used a whipping like the Boy Scouts teach, holding a 2" steel ring inside a fold of fabric. It worked, but was ugly and heavy. . So I "re-whipped" the end to make it lighter and prettier!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    And for what it's worth, you'll also find that many here use their height plus just TWO feet for hammock length:
    Wha? If I did that my hammock would only be 7 foot. That's shorter than my ENO which is only 8' but when I got into a 10 foot hammock I fell in love! But I really like to get diagonal for a flatter lay.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

I like knotty's tutorial. I think I'd also like to do a double layered hammock since it's going to be getting very cold soon. I'm kind of confused about the hemming transition though. I've been studying this pic:

It goes from a single hem to two individual hems. I understand what it means but it just seems awkward.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The different hems allow the layers to seperate/open in that area, kinda like a pillowcase. That allows the user to slide a pad in between the layers.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I understand that. I don't understand the transition.

In some parts both layers are folded over and hemmed together, in the parts where the opening is so you can put pad between the layers, the layers are hemmed individually. It just doesn't seem like a smooth transition.

Take two pieces of paper that are pressed together and then fold both of them together. This is how the hem is for both. Now somewhere down the length of the paper fold the pieces individually. Do you see what I mean? This spot of transition seems awkward.
    Last edited by dean; 08-31-2011 at 13:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast