Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Chair height for me. I like to swing my legs out. Put them firmly on the ground (stabilize the far edge if it’s a bridge hammock) and just stand up. Reverse for getting in. Stand facing away from the hammock, sit down - grabbing the far edge if it’s a bridge hammock - turn and lie back while bringing my legs in. Unfortunately, at the house, I have fixed rings for height. Adding more hardware screwed the the area by the front door is an “issue”. But the suspension connection height I have works for most hammocks (10 - 11 ft). I just can’t “dial-it-in” like I could with trees.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I can get pretty high

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    As a newb who just received his first "real" hammock on Monday, this is a timely thread for me. My first couple attempts were way too low for me, getting out was nearly worthy of funniest videos. My third attempt was fairly close and I was just able to get out but probably could have been another inch or few higher.

For chair height, which is probably about where I need to be, what do you use as a reference when initially adjusting the height? Top edge of hammock at top or bottom of kneecap, higher/lower, carrying a piece of knotted cord, something else?

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy_OKC View Post
    As a newb who just received his first "real" hammock on Monday, this is a timely thread for me. My first couple attempts were way too low for me, getting out was nearly worthy of funniest videos. My third attempt was fairly close and I was just able to get out but probably could have been another inch or few higher.

For chair height, which is probably about where I need to be, what do you use as a reference when initially adjusting the height? Top edge of hammock at top or bottom of kneecap, higher/lower, carrying a piece of knotted cord, something else?
    Personally I just tweak it till it's good. After a while, the ol' Mark I eyeball is the only tool I need. My motto is "if it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Roy_OKC. You could use some measurement - a cord. height of some body part - but your eye gets trained pretty quickly. And there is no rule that you have to hit the mark on the first try. In some endeavors, there’s a phrase, “First make it work, then make it pretty.” For hammocks, first I put it up - that means suspicion lines on the tree, tension on my hammock riddgeline about right. Then I make it pretty by either raising/lowering the straps on the tree or slight adjustment to the suspension length. That sets the height above ground.

If you have a comfortable chair, stand next to it and see where the seat height hit’s you; inches above/below the knee. So you have a built in measuring stick. That’s a visual perspective.

Another is just working with the numbers. Spend some time with the hammock calculator - http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator - for your hammock length, and your preferred height above ground, you could write down a table of various tree distances, suspension connection height at the tree, and suspension length. You can measure the distance between your hiking poles - set at some length (like 120cm) - when held between your outstretched arms. You can use that to estimate tree distance.

So once you pick your trees, and you know their distance, then your table will give you the connection height at the tree and suspension length. After a while you will just “see and know”. But it’s all approximate. And for me, an adjustment after the hammock and/or tarp go up, is just part of “finishing touches”.

Note that in some circumstances, low to the ground can’t be helped. But “low to the ground” is not “On the Ground”. And anything off the ground is good (though sometimes awkward - cue the video of the baby giraffe.)
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-08-2021 at 15:41.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I'm usually about 18-24" up. Just high enough to stay either out of reach or not easily mangled by little critters than amble underneath my hammock at 2am, but not so high I'll get seriously mangled if I fall.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sometimes I see photos online and wonder what kind of ladder or stool they carry!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Roy_OKC. You could use some measurement - a cord. height of some body part - but your eye gets train pretty quickly. And there is no rule that you have to hit the mark on the first try. In some endeavors, there’s a phrase, “First make it work, then make it pretty.” For hammocks, first I put it up - that means suspicion lines on the tree, tension on my hammock riddgeline about right. Then I make it pretty by either raising/lowering the straps on the tree or slight adjustment to the suspension length. That sets the height above ground.

If you have a comfortable chair, stand next to it and see where the seat height hit’s you; inches above/below the knee. So you have a built in measuring stick. That’s a visual perspective.

Another is just working with the numbers. Spend some time with the hammock calculator - http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator - an for your hammock length, and your preferred height above ground, you could write down a table of various tree distances, suspension connection height at the tree, and suspension length. You can measure the distance between your hiking poles - set at some length (like 120cm) - when held between your outstretched arms. You can use that to estimate tree distance.

So once you pick your trees, and you know their distance, then your table will give you the connection height at the tree and suspension length. After a while you will just “see and know”. But it’s all approximate. And for me, an adjustment after the hammock and/or tarp go up, is just part of “finishing touches”.

Note that in some circumstances, low to the ground can’t be helped. But “low to the ground” is not “On the Ground”. And anything off the ground is good (though sometimes awkward - cue the video of the baby giraffe.)
    Excellent suggestions, all! I'd not thought about using my hiking poles as a measuring aid. I have a label maker that can print on wide tape that I believe would be fairly weather proof, I think that would be perfect to put some notes on my poles.

I've been to the calculator, before my hammock arrived, but haven't yet used it. I'll do some measurements and plug in my numbers before I set up again.

Weather permitting, I'm hoping to get some time this weekend putting up in my back yard, make adjustments, taking down, rinse repeat, make a CRL and a couple prusiks, get a harbor fright tarp for back yard use, figure out some way to use my massdrop quilt temporarily as a UQ without any mods, etc., etc.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    This is definitely a 'feel' and 'eyeball' thing, but what usually gets me very close is to adjust such that the head end webbing connection (where webbing connects to hammock CRL) ends up at about the bottom of my sternum bone and the foot end connection at my chin or nose.

The webbing angles always look much too shallow initially, but when I sit in it and everything settles and knots cinch down completely, darn if it isn't just about the right height, with foot end higher. About as often as not, however, I still tweak a bit by sliding webbing up or down the tree a skosh to achieve perfection.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-08-2021 at 15:59.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    The last point in the last post is not mentioned in any book and the first time I saw someone do it I thought, "Of course, I can move those tree straps!" to make a fine adjustment without undoing other things.

I'm tall and like to swing my legs out so that I'm at tall-chair height. I dont like getting up from a crouching position because the hammock is 7 inches off the ground. Over time, as others have said, it becomes natural to figure out where to put the straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast