WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Anyone using a Big Agnes Insulated Air Cores mattress?

I just scored one for $29.00 today at REI in CA. (last years model) Regular price was about $75.00. It's not too wide at only 20" but I thought it would be a great addition to my underquilt. It's light and packs up real small.

Any opinions on it? The R rating is 4.1 which is more than a 1.5" Thermarest. Is this valid or not? I would have bought two at that price but it was the last one.

Miguel

Images
    ive got that pad, haven't used it much in the hammock, but it is light, packs small and quite thick. i know some others have used it in their hammock, maybe they will comment. i think most people use them about half inflated in the hammock for more comfort, not sure how much that effects the warmth though

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I used one for several years when I was a ground dweller (shudder). On the ground the extra thickness helped get a better night's sleep -- but of course no where near as good as a hammock.

I haven't used one yet in a hammock. Like warbonnetguy says, I'd think you'd have to keep it only about half inflated. If over-inflated it'd get pretty stiff and uncomfortable in a hammock and it could compress the insulation in your underquilt. The Insulated Air Core uses a synthetic insulation laminated to the interior of the pad; so you'd have to inflate it enough to allow the insulation to expand. Half inflated sounds about right.

As to warmth, I've used both the Insulated Air Core and the 1-1/2" Thermarest. Nothing scientific; but I'd guess they provide about the same insulating value.

Big Agnes makes good stuff; I think you'll enjoy your new purchase! Let us know how well it works in a hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    $29 is a heck of a deal for that mattress. I have one and, when I have to go to ground as last week in the desert, it's indispensable. You should have gotten two. In fact, you should have gotten three and sold me one.

That said, I don't take it unless I might have to go to ground, as I find a plain old ccf pad (or Ridgerest) more comfortable in the sleeve of my BA Mystic when in a hammock. YMMV.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I've got the BigAgnes DualCore air pad.
    Love it in the hammock so far.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I have been seriously eyeing one for my trip this weekend with the double bottom hammock I just finished... think I'll pick one up tonight
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, about 1/2 inflated feels best to me. that's the mat i use most of the time in my hammock at home.
    mine's developed another slow leak though.

as for the insulation value, i have noticed my BA feeling cool as i lay on it in the 40s & sometimes the low 50s.
    but it's the one i use in the warmer months. YMMV
    some people do fine at lower temps. a ccf pad on top of it would help.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    $29 is a heck of a deal for that mattress. I have one and, when I have to go to ground as last week in the desert, it's indispensable. You should have gotten two. In fact, you should have gotten three and sold me one.

That said, I don't take it unless I might have to go to ground, as I find a plain old ccf pad (or Ridgerest) more comfortable in the sleeve of my BA Mystic when in a hammock. YMMV.

I tried to buy two but it was the last one. I was shocked at the price, thinking he had made a mistake. I yelled, "I'll take it" before the words were completely out of his mouth. I was afraid someone else might have overheard our conversation and try to claimjump me.

I basically bought it in case I have to go to ground (shudder) or sleep in my Element but also to use in the hammock in an emergency.

Miguel

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I use the BA insulated air core mattress. I was camping last weekend with the Boy Scouts and temps got down to the low 20s and very windy(windchill 11-15 degrees). I used the following set up and had no problem with the cold. I want to note we were car camping vs. backpacking.

Crazy Creek LEX
    Sportsman Guide Camo Tarp
    BA Insulated Air Core Mattress
    Army closed cell pad
    Army modular sleeping bag system patrol bag & goretex bivy.

I never tried the bivy, but it made a big difference in my comfort. Initially I started with out it and the wind was penetrating the hammock. Once I added the bivy, everything was good. I partially inflate the BA for comfort and was very happy. The Scout master was griping about being up at 5am due to cold and they woke me up at 7:45 am for some breakfast.

We had a few parents evacuate thier tents and slept in thier mini vans. I warned them about those rectangular coleman bags they bought at wally world.

Anyway, I reccommend the BA. I have used in my HH and the CC and with some adjustments to the inflation, find it very comfortable.

BTW- I got the BA from my mother in law for christmas in 06 and never used until this winter. I never used to hang in the winter. I went to the tent.
    After reading on this site that people use a hammock 4 seasons and then read about someone using a BA, I thought to my self....Hey, I think I have one of those. I have used it 6 times since Oct and felt silly that I blew off the gift. I contacted my mother in law after this recent trip to rethank her for the gift I now see as critical to my gear in the cold months.

7 years hanging and never used my hammocks in the winter until this year. Thanks Hammock Forums group.

Knowledge is power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

I contacted my mother in law after this recent trip to rethank her for the gift I now see as critical to my gear in the cold months.
    Thanking the MIL. Good move, good move... very wise. <nodding>

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast