Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Ideal Hurricane Setup - What Would Yours Look Like?

Here in Northeast Mass I thought I'd practice setting up if we got some stormy weather out of Hurricane Irene. I could either practice setting up in foul weather, or pitch a tarp beforehand to see how it holds out.

However, having just heard latest forecast where they've predicted a Category 2 in my general area, I'm starting to have second thoughts. From what I heard this level will produce 110 mph sustained winds, with 140 mph gusts.

Then that got me thinking...

If you had to, and if you had unlimited access to all of the finest equipment, what would your Category 2 setup look like? Widow makers and all.

p.s. Just having fun here. Besides, I'm not sure they even make stainless steel tarps

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    The thought of hangin in the back of a van comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by deerfu39 View Post
    The thought of hangin in the back of a van comes to mind.
    With your van parked inside or outside of your garage

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    My setup would be the same as always, just in the evacuation area. Hurricanes are serious stuff man.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    If my rusty physics is correct a 1oz object traveling 140mph has 1.3lbs of force; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, at those velocities even the most benign objects become deadly and a tarp isn't gonna stop them. This is one of those times when fortified shelter is mandatory.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A Kevlar tarp for starters!

Agree with TFC Rick, a hurricane is no place for a hammock and tarp. If you were to do it, I'd go with the smallest tarp I could find to reduce the surface area the wind can interact with it and I'd setup somewhere with as much possible coverage from the terrain as possible, while staying well clear of any structures that will start hurling pieces of themselves at my rig. Biggest problem will be finding bungee cords that are strong enough to suspend the hammock with me in it. I've watched trees bend over and touch their toes so-to-speak in hurricane winds, so you're going to need suspension with lots of give.

In all honesty, I'm probably (check that, definitely) dumb enough to try something like this in a weak to moderate Cat I. I've been on foot going door to door in those winds and they are doable. Beyond that however, and there is no way I'm risking my gear to Mother Nature. She can do what she wants to me, but my gear is worth more than I am and I hold no illusions it would survive those kinds of prolonged winds and debris.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    went thru 2 typoons in the mid 1970 in Vietnam,,the second one had 225 mph winds,,and there we were,,,9 of us marines,,hunkered down in the corner of a one room shack with no roof on it for over 2 weeks and surrounded after the storm,,by over 30' of water,,and we were also 30 miles from the South China Sea. We were on a abandonded hill compound surrrounded by people and probably half were the VC..Hurricanes and Typoons are a rough cookie...you better stock up as your liable to be without electricity and water for a couple of weeks if the way its sounding about taking out the electrical grids in the NE..

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I did work in the path of Katrina 2 months after the storm. The really bad damage that I saw more than 100 miles off the Mississippi coast was caused by tornadoes that spun off the storm, they would drop down on a house and rip it apart like it was built with match sticks. A few hundred feet would be torn apart though the woods, then gone. Best place to be......500 miles in the other direction. I wouldn't even think about it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackMind View Post
    Then that got me thinking...

If you had to, and if you had unlimited access to all of the finest equipment, what would your Category 2 setup look like? Widow makers and all.
    Unlimited access?? I would be flying to Hawaii and hang between two palm trees, drinking something out of a coconut!

A hurricane is nothing to mess around with.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast