Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just a quick though regarding SpinnUL. Has anyone tried DIY silicone treatment of any of the various 0.5oz polyester ripstops that are available from kite/sail making sites? Granted the convention seems that "0.5oz" in regards to these fabrics seems to be much more of an estimate than true measurement, and that they use sailmaker yards rather than square yards for their measurements. But if one found a suitable fabric at "0.5oz", ie ~0.62oz/sq yd, and then did a DIY coating, could you approximate SpinnUL?

I'm not actually looking to do this. Just an idle thought. Some of these kite fabrics are pretty inexpensive.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Love your avatar, Pinnacle.

Cuban is pretty strong stuff though. I think it's susceptible to pointy things, just like any tarp...but I think it has a breaking point equal to or better than sil.

The cost difference does give me pause.
    z-packs has a video on youtube demonstrating the puncture and tear strenth of cuben from .3 - 1.5 oz/sq yd. Personally I was not really impressed until he got to the 1.2oz stuff. When you consider that oz for oz it is more durable than silny is it really worth the cost. Granted most people go for the lighter material to save weight but from what I saw the .5oz & .7oz cuben is only moderately comparible to 1.1oz sil, at approximately 3x the cost.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Thanks Lonely Raven.

I totally agree with you about the strength of cuben. My friend had his cuben and I with my sil were on the same week long campout. They both weathered the storms we had very well. But that price tag gets me. For me the weight savings is 11 ozs over the sil, thats $18 an ounce!

For reference I use to have a Deuter backpack(7lbs). I just sold it and got a ULA(36 ozs). To me thats a great trade off.

My old sleeping bag weighed 4 lbs. My top quilt weight 21 ozs. Thats $4.65 an ounce.

If you are considering buying cuben, try to get your hands on some first. My friend was very disappointed when he first opened his cuben tarp up. In his words he "felt like he had spent 300 bucks on a trash bag." They are super thin.
    Good point on the cost per oz lost.

That said, you hit a clear point of diminishing returns pretty quick with UL gear. Reminds me of drag racing...you can spend $50k on a great motor to get you to 10 seconds, but every .1 second past that costs another $50k (rough example).

So pick the low hanging fruit first.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    z-packs has a video on youtube demonstrating the puncture and tear strenth of cuben from .3 - 1.5 oz/sq yd. Personally I was not really impressed until he got to the 1.2oz stuff. When you consider that oz for oz it is more durable than silny is it really worth the cost. Granted most people go for the lighter material to save weight but from what I saw the .5oz & .7oz cuben is only moderately comparible to 1.1oz sil, at approximately 3x the cost.
    Excellent point AaronAlso. I too have seen that video and was impressed with the strength of the 1.2oz stuff. But at that point there is no weight savings.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Just a quick though regarding SpinnUL. Has anyone tried DIY silicone treatment of any of the various 0.5oz polyester ripstops that are available from kite/sail making sites? Granted the convention seems that "0.5oz" in regards to these fabrics seems to be much more of an estimate than true measurement, and that they use sailmaker yards rather than square yards for their measurements. But if one found a suitable fabric at "0.5oz", ie ~0.62oz/sq yd, and then did a DIY coating, could you approximate SpinnUL?

I'm not actually looking to do this. Just an idle thought. Some of these kite fabrics are pretty inexpensive.
    This thought has crosssed my mind. The only thing stopping me is that I haven't been able to confirm "pure finish" on these fabrics and the excessively bright colors that the .5 & .75oz nylon comes in.

As I nderstand it from the "make your own sil" thread the fabric MUST be pure finish from the mill or the sil will not bond correctly.

I calculate the finished product could be in the .865 - 1.15oz/sq yd and cost in the range of $6-8/linear yard. But then I worry about the durability. Mostly, I'm concerned if it would survive and entire thru-hike.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    this forum thread just talked me out of cuban,,I am sticking with silnylon,,as I don't want the noise factor if rain in spinn,,and not a total gram wienie yet,,so the trade off in ounces verses the bucks,,keeps me using silnylon which I really like as a fabric...I know cuban is the tops,,but can't just yet justify the costs.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Is cuben worth the cost?

Personally, I also think Cuben Fiber material is priced HIGH. I do not know the process that it takes to make it but I think if we get a few more manufacturers out there making similar stuff there would some price competition...which is always a good thing.

When you get a cuben tarp it can be a little unnerving. The "trash bag" look along with the light weight can be a little scary. Especially given how much was just spent.

Regarding repairs..

Repairing CF3 material is very straightforward and effective. It happens that the process I use for bonding CF3 lends itself to be a great way to repair it as well. Unless it is just mangled I am confident I can fix just about any tear or hole quite efficiently.

I do not have this guarantee on my site yet (because I just thought of it), but for the first year (and probably after than as well) I will fix anything short of a shredded HG Cuben tarp for free. Just pay for postage to get it to me and back to you. I will also repair OTHER manufacturers tarps for a VERY reasonable price.

Anyway, I really love and believe in CF3. And yep, I also think it is too expensive. If i did not make them it would probably take me a while before i could afford one...but I would get one eventually because there are so many things I like about the stuff. As always HYOH

I hope I stayed on the subject with my post. I probably should have stayed out of this topic but I agree with much of what is said. Please do not take my response to this thread as an advertisement. It is most assuredly not meant to be. Thanks everyone.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Personally, I also think Cuben Fiber material is priced HIGH. I do not know the process that it takes to make it but I think if we get a few more manufacturers out there making similar stuff there would some price competition...which is always a good thing.

When you get a cuben tarp it can be a little unnerving. The "trash bag" look along with the light weight can be a little scary. Especially given how much was just spent.

Regarding repairs..

Repairing CF3 material is very straightforward and effective. It happens that the process I use for bonding CF3 lends itself to be a great way to repair it as well. Unless it is just mangled I am confident I can fix just about any tear or hole quite efficiently.

I do not have this guarantee on my site yet (because I just thought of it), but for the first year (and probably after than as well) I will fix anything short of a shredded HG Cuben tarp for free. Just pay for postage to get it to me and back to you. I will also repair OTHER manufacturers tarps for a VERY reasonable price.

Anyway, I really love and believe in CF3. And yep, I also think it is too expensive. If i did not make them it would probably take me a while before i could afford one...but I would get one eventually because there are so many things I like about the stuff. As always HYOH

I hope I stayed on the subject with my post. I probably should have stayed out of this topic but I agree with much of what is said. Please do not take my response to this thread as an advertisement. It is most assuredly not meant to be. Thanks everyone.

~Stormcrow
    Just out of curiosity, is your repair guarantee covering the Hybrid Phoenix's as well?

Hammock
    Bear Mt Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Neo Air All Season
    Suspension
    whoopies
    In my limited experience (with stuff sacks anyway), I like that cuben does not seem to absorb any water like silnylon can in ongoing wetness. I guess it would also be true that cuben does not mist through like silnylon in downpours.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    @Stormcrow,

I can't speak of OP, be myself I'd like to hear more from owners and producers of cuben products about their experiences & concerns. I'm still on the fence about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast