Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images

UQ Insultex Baffles?

This weekend I had a lucid dream about different build techniques for IX in an underquilt. (DIY has become of sickness.)

My first thought was to build an IX layered underquilt using the same principles as fish scales or roof shingles. Overlapping sections which create small pockets of air. This seemed to be, in my mind, a way to more evenly create the gaps needed to fully utilize the heating properties of IX. Once I had a chance to wake up and think through the process, I determined that making the scales would require a little more effort. I believe the quilted pattern used to create the IX material itself would probably fall apart in the process of creating the scales, which would probably require some “fiddling” on my behalf. I don’t relish the idea of re-sewing each indvidual scale.

The natural progression of my mind dump led me to the thought of creating baffles with the IX and either leaving the baffles empty, or using an inexpensive synthetic batting material to fill the void and ensure that a gap was maintained.

This is where my head is at now…stuck, wondering if the idea is sound, but not willing to buy the IX to test it.

Try as I might, my forum Search-Fu is weak, and I couldn’t find much on the subject since “IX” is too short of a word to be searchable.

I was able to find a posting by dblhammock, here, where he created a shingled version of a Top Quilt. I was not able to find anything regarding the use of Insultex as a baffle, though. Anyone have a post resting in their subscriptions on the subject?

Here’s a picture of the concept I’m thinking of:

I’m really looking for someone to say, “Yeah, been there, done that…don’t waste your time.”

Thanks for your help!
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    I am about to make my IX underquilt...so I will be watching this closely.

My thought is if 3 layer of straight IX with wedge cuts is good around 20 degrees wouldn't the poly fill just add weight or would lets say a 1" or 2" gap between IX layerss really lower the temp. rating? That is question I would love answered before I make mine.

Vince
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

I am going to start a underquilt like this in the next few weeks. I have done alot of reserch and would love to just go down, but seeing as im married which means i never buy just 1 UQ or whatever i always need to buy 2, the cost of down really starts to add up!!

I have decided to go with primaloft synthetec as i have found a cheap source, the synthetec i found is not batted or made into a sheet so essintally i will be stuffing baffels just like down but with the primaloft and twice as much at that. cuz the clo rating is a lil over half of what 900 fill down is.

Unless anyone has a reson for me not to build my uq that way.
    P.S. Im still really new to all this

Getting it to drape around

I think your concept is really good!

I saw that you linked to an earlier post of mine, and I updated that thread.

The only thing that I would like to see, would be a pleating system to get 3D curvature. Or in place of that, maybe the baffles should be cut with cat curves to get a wrap that fits the hammock body. I think you are wise to be combining IX with another insulating material. I believe that you will get far greater results than when relying on the IX alone for the insulation. I think the biggest obstacle that you will face will be the drape of the material, and consequently the fit. I look forward to your results.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    I think the biggest obstacle that you will face will be the drape of the material, and consequently the fit. I look forward to your results.
    Thanks for updating your post, now I can close the door on that concept. You've given me a lot to think on regarding cat-cut baffles or pleating.

Time to spin up the old paypal account.
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Pleated would be more crucial on the transverse axis

SinisterMinister,

I was reading your illustration as if it were oriented with transverse baffles. That is what prompted my "curved or pleated" response. It occurred to me later that your illustration was probably intending those as length-wise baffles. This is of course how most down UQs are constructed. I suppose length-wise orientation will make draping the IX, and fitting your baffles a bit easier than if you were attempting to fit to the transverse profile. This is probably what you were already intending to do.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    You're correct about the orientation of my baffles, but I'm still in the "drawing board phase". Even using a lengthwise configuration, I want add some minor pleating to facilitate a better curve.

I'm also going to toy with shaped baffles rather than only tubes. The base pattern I'm going to use is based on the KAQ footprint, which has some funky angles. The batting I'm going to use is more of a solid mass, rather than loose fill, so shaping a few baffles around the asym corners should be easier since I won't have to worry about shifting insulation...much.

I may be biting off more than I can chew. I'll update when I can.

• + New Posts