Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Insultex - What the heck

I got my 6 yards of insultex, and not cheap, but man is this stuff thin.
    Had someone suggest that a 3 layer UQ was good to the mid 30's and I just dont see how that will happen.

Can someone explain to me why 3 layers of this stuff would be more desirable than climasheild at close to the same cost ??

I think I am going to use it in combination with 5mm silk that weighs .5 oz per yard to make a SUL summer top quilt and maybe with the left overs make some sort of minor UQ insulation but I dont see how 3 layers of this stuff will be warm at 35dF or even 45df.

Only think I can think is it must be acting as semi vapor barrier in conjunction with a small amount of insulation.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I got my 6 yards of insultex, and not cheap, but man is this stuff thin.
    Had someone suggest that a 3 layer UQ was good to the mid 30's and I just dont see how that will happen.

Can someone explain to me why 3 layers of this stuff would be more desirable than climasheild at close to the same cost ??

I think I am going to use it in combination with 5mm silk that weighs .5 oz per yard to make a SUL summer top quilt and maybe with the left overs make some sort of minor UQ insulation but I dont see how 3 layers of this stuff will be warm at 35dF or even 45df.

Only think I can think is it must be acting as semi vapor barrier in conjunction with a small amount of insulation.

IX is very funny stuff... i said the same things when i got my first batch of IX
    but as an UQ you need air pockets in between the layers for it to work.. not much but just a small space ..
    what it comes down to is IX traps hot air in between the 2 layers and this is how it can keep you warm at such temps it's very cool stuff
    warn you now if you make a TQ out of it... make sure you have a way to vent the footbox.. i found that without any venting your feet will feel like there in a sweat box LOL ... so remember to make a way to vent

i know from what i was told 2 layers will get you down into the 30's if i remember Maybe Mac will chime in he is the IX guru
    and yes you can use silk or ripstop to make a shell for some wind protection
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    I have an 2 layer IX TQ covered in ripstop nylon. I've used it comfortably down to the low 40s. I had it once at 37F with rain out and was a bit chilled when I woke. I am a warm sleeper too, so I can't see 2 layers doing you much better than that.

Not sure how much a 3rd layer will allow you to do down to.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Take a look in the sticky's, follow Sclittlefield's directions and you'll do fine.

Macentyre makes little offset pleats that ensure an air gap is between the layers, and gets good results...

I have a 3-layer IX UQ, and I woke up cold because my back was sweating in 40-degree weather...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    How does the Insultex pack up for transport? Can you roll it up and put it in a stuff-sack and carry it around like that night after night?

sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

What I am getting at is the product I got is 1.5 oz per SY per layer.

Climasheild Apex basically comes in 2.5 oz and 5 oz.
    2.5 oz is good for a solid 45dF and 5 oz is good for 25dF.

2 layers of insultex cost over $10 per yard and climashield 2.5 cost $10 per yard.

Climashield 5oz cost $15 per yard.

I guess I dont see the value of insultex over a proven insulation like Climasheild.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
    How does the Insultex pack up for transport? Can you roll it up and put it in a stuff-sack and carry it around like that night after night?

sky
    Sure can. I store mine packed in it's stuff sack. It doesn't need fluffed, like down. I lay it out for a few days upon return from a hike, then pack it up with the rest of my gear.

Nalgene bottle, GT Ultralight hammock, Baby Orca IX UQ, LHBR IX TQ

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made a double layer IX top quilt with ridges sewn in every 6 inches on both top & bottom.
    I freeze under the thing when it's in the 40's. That's just me.
    It packs to 7.7 liters.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

2 layers of insultex cost over $10 per yard and climashield 2.5 cost $10 per yard.

I guess I dont see the value of insultex over a proven insulation like Climasheild.
    Well, I guess if you have to have something that others have used for a long time, then Insultex probably isn't for you. If you have to have the loft of down or other synthetics, then Insultex isn't for you. If you have to be totally sure that a given thickness of insulation will provide you with the comfort you desire/need, then Insultex isn't for you. If you need the total assurance of others that your choice will work for you at specified temperatures, then Insultex isn't for you.

If, however, you are willing to take a risk and test in an environment where you can bail and go inside if needed, then Insultex may be for you.

Only you can test and find out if 1 or 2 or 3 or ... layers of Insultex will be sufficient for you at the temperatures that you think you will encounter. Nobody else can give you assurances about that.

From your posts I have the definite impression that you had already decided against Insultex before your first post because it doesn't fit your preconceived ideas about insulation.

Now, understand, that is fine. If you don't like Insultex because of those preconceived notions, then you should probably just stick with insulation that you are comfortable with.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images

Couple points for why someone may choose IX over Climashield. (Note: Wherever I say Climashield, any other synthetic insulation could be substituted.)

1) It's usually covered, but for those that are looking to cut every gram they can, IX can be used without shells. That's not really feasible with Climashield.

2) You can compress the daylights out of IX without worrying about loss of insulating ability. If you crammed Climashield into a compression sack and really cranked it down, you are going to lose quite a bit of your possible insulating ability permanently.

3) It's a bit more reasonable to make a "modular" system with IX than with Climashield. If you have a 2-Layer IX UQ, and you are expecting lower temps than you are usually comfortable in with only two layers, you can add a 3rd layer as an insert.

4) IX is wind and waterproof (or so they say). If you hung a hammock between two trees with no tarp to block wind, and compared an IX UQ to a basic Climashield UQ on a windy day, you'd probably lose quite a bit more heat on the Climashield due to convection than the IX. I have not experienced or tested this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast