Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com

ENO Single, whoopies and 1" straps. Help?

Easy noob stuff here. I've only just become aware of the relaxation and pleasures that a hammock can induce. Went camping last month with some friends and picked up a $15 hammock off Amazon to bring with, just on a whim. It turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip. When I got back home I instantly ordered up an ENO single nest, carabiners, and some whoopie slings and six foot 1" nylon tree straps.

So my question is - what's the simpliest/best way to rig that up? My first impulse is to put the six foot nylon tree strap (with loops sewn into the ends) around the tree and through itself. Then use a carabiner as a toggle and do the marlin spike hitch trick, which the adjustable end of the whoopie "attaches" to, and have carabiners attaching the whoopie to the hammock.

I'm sure I have too many parts there. And with experience I'm sure I could whittle it down to a more efficient rig. But I was hoping to skip all of that (or at least have a head start).

Advice?

PS- thanks to everyone here. this place was invaluable while researching what to buy. bought my whoopies and tree straps from whoopieslings.com

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    I might not be fully understanding your post...but why would you use another biner at the hammock end? Wouldn't it be easier to just run the fixed eye of the whoopie sling through the channel of the hammock? Then you'd just pass the adjustable end through the fixed eye and pull to tighten...running your adjustable eye out to your toggle.

My first suspension was a whoopie-all-in-one and that's how I attached it to my Eno DN.

Cheers,
    Mickey

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginLoose View Post
    So my question is - what's the simpliest/best way to rig that up? My first impulse is to put the six foot nylon tree strap (with loops sewn into the ends) around the tree and through itself. Then use a carabiner as a toggle and do the marlin spike hitch trick, which the adjustable end of the whoopie "attaches" to, and have carabiners attaching the whoopie to the hammock.

Advice?
    Welcome to the forum, HanginLoose!

Mickey's got it right: attach the whoopie directly to your hammock via a larkshead. You've got a couple different ways of using the carabiner/tree strap combo. Your current thought of using the carabiner as the toggle is a good one which gives you flexibility in adjusting the height of the hammock end.

Congrats on jumping right to the cadillac of suspensions- play with it, try different things, and HYOH!

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Thanks guys.
    The reason I use carabiners is because I use the hammock on my 3rd story covered back porch/deck too. It clips in/out of 2 fixed lengths of 7/64 Amsteel which hang from burly eye bolts screwed into the rafters. I live in Chicago and can't leave the hammock outside or it will be stolen. So the biners stay on the hammock. Lightweight black diamond fancy ones. I will think about your suggestion though. I can probably rearrange the porch rig a bit so it will quickly attach/detach from the whoopies...

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    stolen off the 3rd floor? must be an interesting hood...

you could do this: depending on how big the fixed eye is, why not just make a marlin spike hitch and toss the fixed eye over that, and the adjustable end into the biners that you run into the channel? i dont see there being a huge issue with that, since all youre doing is reversing the whoopie.

nevermind. my head is on hiking poles and im not thinking right..that wouldnt make any real difference. just go ahead and put the biners in the channels and run the fixed eye in that. ill shut up now
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Okay I got what you guys were saying originally I thought you meant remove the black loop/tie from the ENO and replace it with the whoopie. But now I see that you meant use a larkshead to attach the whoopie to the black loop/tie on the ENO. That way I can leave the 'biners on there while I'm home but then use those biners as the toggles when I go camping, and just fix the whoopies to the hammock via a larkshead. Bingo. Thanks. Brilliant. That's 2 less carabiners to carry. Heh, I'm a moron sometimes...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginLoose View Post
    Okay I got what you guys were saying originally I thought you meant remove the black loop/tie from the ENO and replace it with the whoopie...
    Hey there. This is actually what most people will recommend you do to decrease weight and bulk. I assume your balcony is not that big and your whoopies are long enough to reach your eye bolts?

My suggestion is to ditch the thick black rope and feed the fixed eye of the whoopie sling through the end channel of the hammock and girth hitch it to itself. The adjustable end of the whoopie can then go to biner attached to the eye bolts.

In the woods the adjustable end of the whoopies can then go the a marlin spike hitch made with a biner on the webbing. Another suggestion you may get is to swap out the nylon webbing for polyester because nylon stretches.

If you are happy with your set up then thats great too. HYOH (Hang your own hang) is the saying around here. Have fun playing!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    EDIT: I said I have 1-inch "nylon" straps but they are indeed poly. They're from whoopieslings.com

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    you can do this, if i read correctly in your first post. You can larkshead, like the others said, the whoopies to the hammock through the channel but if your hammock reaches both eye bolts already. leave the black rope with biners connected either way. the black tree straps are just going to be more things hanging around when your at home trying to chillax. if not then you can just larkshead the whoopie, do the tree straps through the hole, then you can do the marline spike with the biner in place of a toggle like you said earlier....I did that for a while before I had toggles....you should get some toggles.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    The back porch rig goes like this - eye bolts up in the rafters of the porch roof, each with a fixed length of 7/64" Amsteel. This way I can easily clip in/out so as to avoid my beloved hammock being stolen. Sad but true fact of living in Chicago (and may other places too) - anything not locked up will be stolen. Sometimes locked items will ALSO be stolen. Heh.

Anyhow, I'm not going to connect the whoopies to the hammock itself. I like that idea but it doesn't work best for my particular application. I rarely get to go camping, just a handful of times each year - so it's better to have my rig setup for easy in/out on the back porch, since that's the place I most often use my hammoock.

If I connected the whoopies to the hammock itself, then I'd need to adjust my lengths of Amsteel that are hanging from the eye bolts currently. I'm not sure what the shortest possible length is for the whoopies from whoopieslings.com but my main concern is that both me and my wife can easily reach the two lengths of Amsteel hanging form the eye bolts. They are currently approx 67" inches from eye bolt to fixed loop, but would need to be drastically shortened in order to accomodate the use of the whoopies. Another factor is this - since I'm essentially using a ceiling rig, the connection points have to be fairly far apart so as to give a proper angle for sag. Because of this, one of the eye bolts is practically over my neighbors porch (we share the porch/roof). If I left that length of Amsteel to hang freely, it would be in the way of anyone coming up the stairs and it would hang over his section of our shared porch - so I have it wrapped around a nail on my side of the porch when not in use, so it's not in anyone's way. If I shortened it up to accomodate the whoopie, it would be difficult to keep it out of the way, and probably difficult for my wife to reach to clip in.

Long pointless story short - I'm good with the way it is. And fine with using a larkshead to attach the whoopie to the black rope/loop on the ends of the hammock. Unless you guys see any reason why I shouldn't do that? Seems safe enough to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast