Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Thanks Mickey. Appreciate the guidance. The issue though would be that the roof is taller than I can reach without a step stool. And I'm 6 foot 4 inches. So My 5 foot wife probably can't reach that high even WITH a stool. Maybe if I dangle the biners from the eye bolts with some Amsteel but then they'll be hanging in the air waiting to hit someone in the head. And one will be dangling in my neighbor's space since the eye bolt is basically on his side of the porch sorta-kinda.

I'll play around iwth it maybe see what I can manage. It's pretty good as-is though. I was mostly looking for guidance from you all regarding camping and using my hammock outdoors at the park or whatever - since that is an environment we're all familiar with. It's hard to give me advice about my back porch because porches are all different and you've never been on mine. Maybe once I post some pics it'll help everyone understand the variables and issues.

Thanks again though. Nice forum you all have here.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    So here's ye olde backporch. I forgot to do this yesterday so I did it this morning before leaving the house, and I didn't have time to unravel the hammock and clip it in. I can take a shot like that too if it helps anyone, but the ENO was all nice and rolled up in its pocket and buckled in and I didn't want to screw around with it. I also didn't take any measurements but I can do that if it helps anyone. I know that from the eye bolt to the knot of the loop where I clip the hammock in, it's 67 inches. The other important measurements I wanted to add was the height of the eye bolt from the floor and the distance between the two eye bolts. And yes it looks kind of cluttered on the porch but the hammock hangs nicely with the table acting as a great place to set a drink/etc. Protected from the rain/sun so no need for a tarp. Decent amount of plants out there thanks to the wife, so it's semi-private.

You can see the two lengths of 7/64" Amsteel hanging (anchor hitched to the eye bolts, figure 8 knot for the fixed loop at the end of each). Even though the hammock isn't there, hopefully this helps anyone who may have been having trouble picturing the exact setup.

Last edited by HanginLoose; 08-23-2011 at 11:47.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Panoramic Hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by HanginLoose View Post
    Haha I feel like this thread should have died a long time ago. Other than the forthcoming pics and measurements, it has little value to anyone but me. Heh. But thanks for putting up with me and helping me along guys. Much appreciated.
    LOL....not really. This is VERY valuable to me. I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first hammock and have decided on the eno doublenest. I was also looking at buying some tree straps, and whoopie slings. I have been reading and understand about the use of a toggle and marlin spike hitch.....so I have that side figured out in my head.

The OTHER end is where I have questions.........which is what this thread also talks about. I am so new at this that I don't feel comfortable taking out the black ropes from the hammock. I understand that when you buy this hammock, the black ropes are already in the channel and there is a carabiner attached at each end of the hammock.

My question is this: Forget all about what is more efficient, saves weight, etc.........for the time being, can't I just clip the fixed end loop of the whoopie sling directly onto the carabiner that is already attached to the hammock (that comes from the factory that way) ??

Once I get more comfortable with this whole idea of hanging my body in mid-air from two tiny threads I'm sure I will make adjustments to make the whole set-up more efficient. But to start, can't I just attach the whoopie loop directly onto the carabiner that is attached to the hammock?

Thanks for your patience......not trying to hijack your thread Hanginloose, just looked like we are talking about the same thing so thought this would be a good place to ask this queston.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    I'm all for gear modification that better aligns your gear with your needs. But I don't make changes just for the sake of change. My ENO DN was fine right out of the package.
    FWIW: here's my approach. It's very close to your's.
    I do occaisional car camping but mostly kayak camping, no backpacking - so weight isn't an issue for me. Good for you for getting polyester straps. I got the nylon ENO Slap Straps (aka crapstraps). I wish they were poly and not stretchy nylon, but I own them so here's how I use them.
    I wrap my crap straps around and around the tree until it's all used up and then tuck in/tie off the tail. I attach a good quality 'biner to the closest loop (or through all the wraps), and run a whoopie from that 'biner to the one that came on my DN. I can easily adjust the whoopie to any length because it's sliding on the metal of the 'biner, not sawing through the strap. No marlin spike hitch required.
    I then put extra (cheapo) 'biners in the other loops on the crapstraps to hang my gear, water bag, etc.
    Good luck!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    BCUSA Tarp
    Insulation
    FAT!!!
    Suspension
    WhoooopieS
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    my suggestion (now my head is clear and all)

i have a eno DN and whoopies and all. since youre not a camper per se, heres what you do.

take out the black ropes, and put the caribiners into the channels. that way, clips right to the amsteel loops you have in the bolts. itll ditch weight, and make the whole thing simpler. then if you have whoopies, you can clip them into the fixed eye and have a regular setup for camping with just the extra biner in place. no biggie!
    Couldnt agree more. Just recently did this myself. There is a youtube vid on this by whoopieslings.com. Step by step.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    It would be best if you could post a picture or two of your rig. Without a picture it sounds like you already figured out the best possible solution for your particular situation.

The only thing I can think of to give you more adjustability and ease of use is this: If the amsteel hanging from the ceiling on either side is a continuous loop, double it up, thereby shortening the overall distance. If the amsteel line is not a continuous loop, then I would make one. It's stronger, safer, and more versatile than just a single amsteel line.

On the two hammock ends I would get rid of the black rope/loops and feed the fixed eye end of the whoopie slings through the sewn channel, or leave the rope in place (idle) and larks-head the whoopie's fixed eye on the outside at the base of the sewn end channel. Give it a couple wraps on the larks head to shorten the distance between the fixed eye and the bury of the whoopie sling. This way you only need one carabiner or toggle, which is the one that connects the whoopie's adjustable loop to the amsteel continuous loop hanging from the ceiling.

But again, it would be great if you could post some pictures here so that people here can give you more accurate advice.

Cheers,

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Back from the dead...

You realize you just responded to a 6 year old post??? !!!!!

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    You realize you just responded to a 6 year old post??? !!!!!
    Hahaha! Yes, I realized that yesterday after I had pressed "Send". By now the OP has probably bought out the next door flat, just so that he can extend the hammock suspension. Or perhaps he has moved out to a house with a nice backyard. He may have just given up on hammocks because my precious advice didn't get there in time. I now feel like the 16th Century world explorers that would send a letter to their king requesting permission or advice for something, and by the time the got the reply they had either died, or there was another king in place, LOL.

It's partly my fault for not paying attention to the date, but also I got this from in my Tapatalk feed via email yesterday morning, and I had no reason to suspect is was so old, hahaha. Anyway, lesson learned. I'll keep an eye out next time.

Thanks for bringing it up!

P.S.: HangingLoose, if you're still alive, please tell us how you finally fixed your suspension issue of 6 years ago.
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123