WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

whoopie sling question

Hey guys, Ive been hanging for quite a while, but when it comes to whoopie slings, Im a newbie! I just made my first whoopie sling, and have a question: I followed the directions on the amsteel website--------for my adjustable loop, the buried part is supposed to be around 12 inches-----------I measured carefully, buried the loop----and it comes out to about 10 inches---------is this normal? also, on the locked brummal, does burying the end give it strength, or does it just get the tail out of the way? Im used to speer straps---amsteel is kind of scary for me---Im a pretty big guy, and it seems so thin! -------I like the idea, and am willing to give it a try, buy dont want to end up on the ground!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The bury actually shortens the outer amsteel because of the way the strands in the diamond braiding moves. This movement is what allows for the expansion and constriction making the whoopie sling able to do what it does.
    I think the locked brummel can hold weight on its own but the bury provides a lot of the strength.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    On the set I just made I marked the whoopie bury at 10". Final length on completion is around 8.5". This is with 7/64" Amsteel. No slippage in my test hang yesterday.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Made a set of Amsteel 7/64 whoopies last night. My bury for the slip loop I marked at 7.5", finished at 6". Locked brummel measured at 4" buries around 3.5".

Plenty strong enough for me @ 160lbs.

K

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Neither of my whoopies (I made) on both of my hammocks have locked brummels on the fixed loops, just a 10" bury.

My son is 130lbs soaking wet, and the loaner hammock has had 270lbs in it all night. The loaner had one of it's loops slip, but not when pulled tight. One of my scouters that loaned it from me, was trying to figure out the bury and milked it loose and pulled out the bury buy accident. The loaner is getting Cinch buckles for ease of use and my son's hammock will be getting locked brummels shortly as a result.

If the bury can be accidentally pulled out 10", then it can be pulled out 8" without me noticing (when someone is loaning it or my son is using it) and cause an accident.

I'm not sure if Opie does Locked brummels on his "All in one" system I bought from him. He dresses them out so nice it is hard to see. I would think he would. I trust him so I don't plan to pull them out to find out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    No reason not to use locked brummels, it's like anything else, it's difficult until it's easy. Once you do a few it's easier than stitching the bury. Amsteel is rated at 1600lbs if I'm not mistaken. So if you weighed 400 lbs you could worry. IMO it's one of the safest suspensions out there. Just keep playing with it, and figure out the locked brummel.
    Anybody got a link?
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the info guys! -----------one more question..........do whoopies slip when they get wet, or iced up? Just wondering.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! -----------one more question..........do whoopies slip when they get wet, or iced up? Just wondering.
    Not that i have noticed, Mine have been soaked while unloaded then I got in the hammock and no slip. As long as you have the minimum amount of bury you should be fine.

• + New Posts