Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images

Google Custom Search Bar Please!

It's no secret the built in search function of the site isn't the best. Some people know about the trick of typing "site:hammockforums.net" into Google, and then whatever they want to search for after to get better search results, but I'd presume most users aren't aware of this. Adding a Google Custom Search Bar to the site shouldn't be that difficult, and would be a great tool for all users! Here's the page about it. http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to building webpages, so I don't know if this is easy, hard, impossible, or somewhere in between, but if it can be done, at the least, I'd sure be appreciative!

Also, for Google Chrome users, with the search bar added to the site, you can start typing "hammockforums.net" in the URL bar, and after a few characters when it recognizes the site, you should be able to hit tab, which will automatically jump to a custom search of the site in the same bar. Then type your search query, and viola, efficient HF searching goodness! (You can try this with Youtube.)

Thanks for listening!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    That is pretty cool! I agree about the search...needs to be a little easier to find things. I hate asking other HF members a question only to find out I've missed a thread with my answer (I always search before asking).
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcsandSparks View Post
    That is pretty cool! I agree about the search...needs to be a little easier to find things. I hate asking other HF members a question only to find out I've missed a thread with my answer (I always search before asking).
    Agreed! And sometimes you search, but it doesn't turn up the answer even if it is buried somewhere. Hopefully that would fix this!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    wow I feel dumb now. I honestly gave up on the search button along time ago and just started pm'ing people with questions or googling things. but I never knew you could type that stuff in! dang I learn something everything day
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Agreed, we are a little small to have our own appliance, but custom search would be a handy addition! I vote yea!

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    It's no secret the built in search function of the site isn't the best. Some people know about the trick of typing "site:hammockforums.net" into Google, and then whatever they want to search for after to get better search results, but I'd presume most users aren't aware of this. Adding a Google Custom Search Bar to the site shouldn't be that difficult, and would be a great tool for all users! Here's the page about it. http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to building webpages, so I don't know if this is easy, hard, impossible, or somewhere in between, but if it can be done, at the least, I'd sure be appreciative!

Also, for Google Chrome users, with the search bar added to the site, you can start typing "hammockforums.net" in the URL bar, and after a few characters when it recognizes the site, you should be able to hit tab, which will automatically jump to a custom search of the site in the same bar. Then type your search query, and viola, efficient HF searching goodness! (You can try this with Youtube.)

Thanks for listening!
    I vote for the Google search, but I also have Chrome. Thanks for the tip.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Any Mods have input on this? Curious to hear some "official" thoughts!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I find myself wondering about this more and more. Sure we can and often times do go to google and perform a site search to find what we are looking for. But it seems as if daily someone who is unaware of the limitations of the forums current built in search functions is asking for the answer to a question that they are unable to find using the current search and so one of us who have been around for a while explain to them how to do a proper google search for what they are looking for.

This could be cut down quite a lot with an updated google search function added to the forums.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I'd be all for it. I use the site:hammockforums.net search all the time, and nearly always find what I'm looking for. The limitations imposed by, frequency of occurrence (of a search term), and length of word by the built in search function leave a bit to be desired.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We'll look into it and get back to ya.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast