Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    When I first made my wbbb clone I had the same tight side issue and I had to shorten the ridgeline until it took the pressure of the side, now no matter how tight I pull on the suspension the footbox side does not take the strain. This is my most comfortable hammock and I am pleased with it's performance

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Success! Ok I took the hammock out tonight and did some re-rigging.
    Placed the RL in and again I had some extra strain on the foot box side but that was right after I strung it up. So measured the hammock length and set the RL to the 83% of the total length, re-studded the ties and poof there I go. The foot box side dropped down to a sag.

So then I carefully checked the knots and started putting weight in the hammock. Next thing I know I was sitting in it, so I swung my feet in the foot box to lay down. Yes, it felt so sweet but I felt like the foot end of the hammock was at to steep of an angel and the foot box side was sagging a bit much.

After another adjustment, (lengthen the RL and tightening up the
    suspension) the foot box side tightened up a bit but not to much I got back into the hammock much better at the foot end and the foot box side was a bit tighter but still a bit loose. I took a photo with my phone but it was getting dark so it is not the best but it does show what I mean and how the foot box side sags now.

Also I tried to place the loose bug net on to see how it looks.
    Realized something but it won't be a show stopper. The netting was not totally wide enough to fit the width of the hammock at the pullouts. So after thinking about it I think if I make a cover out of the rip stop over the shelf that would give me a straight line to attach the netting. Besides I cannot see out that area of the hammock and it will shorten to width of netting required.

Thank you everyone that posted and pm'd me. Lesson learned: sorter RL, more sag on foot box side and steeper end angles. Longer RL, tight foot box side and shallower end angles. Find the happy medium between the two.

TheXringHunt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Ok after last night test and small hang I got to thinking and a question or two popped in my head. So I understand why the hammock is shorter in finished length because of the foot box. But is it typical to lose 2 feet like I did? I stared out with a 10 foot hammock body and now it is around 8 feet. I felt comfortable in the hammock, but is an 8 foot long hammock good for my 5'-10" height?

TheXringHunt

If my math is right you shortened the right side about 17 inches. You probably lost some length in the wrap as well.. But 2 feet seems a bit much.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    so you started with 120 inches and ended with approximately 94 inches? Well a bit of math reveils to me that your finished length is 78% of your starting length just 5% lower than the what most people consider to be the "ideal" ridge line length (83%). I beleive Brandon is making the WBBB currently to 98inches after people reported calf pressure from the foot box with the previous length of 100 inches. So I'd say that you're within the margin of error, especially with this being your first DIY Hammock.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Ok well that sounds like I am there then. I did another setup last night to measure for the netting. This time I set the RL to 96" and the hammock seemed to lay a lot better. Now I have all day to think about it at work. Tonight my wife will be busy with hosting a party and I get to hide in the basement with a thread injector to see if I can finally finish this part of the project up.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I found that the blackgoat dimensions didn't work for me. I had to add some length to the shelf and this made the side longer and looser for me. I also found his bugnet dimensions to be off. One side will be shortened by the footbox. I ended up having to buy new bugnet and doing a pin in place job on it.
    Good luck and do some testing and find what works best for you.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yeah, I noticed that as well from the blackgoat dims that they were a bit off. I know it is a bit od my OCD and also being a draftsman by trade I like to have a good set of drawings and the math all to add up. In this case I already had the hammock body cut out to the 10' length (using the 1022 plans) when I found blackgoats page which uses a 11' body. Since the plans from the 1022 post were a bit vague and confusing into what length the cuts are for the foot box side was I decided to follow what was on the blackgoat site. If you add the dims up for the foot box side pattern it would more suit a 10' long hammock body, so that is what I used for my foot box side after laying it out on paper. It seemed to work out all right when I sewed it up. My only wish would be for a good cut out pattern for the bug net.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have made 3 of these style hammocks already. I am not a draftsman but I do electrical design so I understand the need for measurements. Trust me in that you will get a much better fit if you set the hammock up and pin. Even setting it up and taking measurements using the ridgeline as a reference would be better for you to figure it all out.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I guess that is why I have set this hammock up multiple times trying to get the measurements to come out right. I feel real good about what I have finally came out with last night. Once I get this hammock done I may look at making another one if I can get the materials for the right price again.

TheXringHunt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast