Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    That's likely a huge part of what I did wrong. Shorts, short socks, no toque (stocking cap.. I speak Canadian lol). I was much better after dressing up. If I sleep out tomorrow I'll dress better and hang my tarp in a better position to block the wind if there is any.
    Another thing ... make sure what you sleep in isn't sweat soaked damp (I speak N. Carolinian )
    I usually carry those synthetic Long Johns just to sleep in as well as the dry socks.

But really ... reach around and make sure your UQ is snugged up to the hammock ... just a little gap can add a chill.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I'm pretty sure I was dry but thanks for the tip.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Shumway,

Sorry to hear you had a rough night out there. I hope you were not cursing us TOO bad at 4am

We have to get this figured out. Even if you had wind on you, you should have been just fine at those temperatures. Even naked The ratings for our quilts tend to be conservative and some people take the three season set down into the lower teens (Fahrenheit).

Many of the responses here have been pretty good. A couple of things I might add. Make sure the ends are cinched but not TOO tight. If they are too tight, it can create a kind of pocket that will not snug up to the underside of the hammock. Too loose, and, well, the air can get in.

Regarding the main suspension, if it is not tight enough, feel free to add another knot a few inches up from where the stock knot is. This will effectively shorten the suspension and tighten things up a little.

One more thing to check. We try are best to make sure the down is nice and distributed before we pack it up for shipping but you might want to check just to be sure. When the quilt is installed on the hammock, just run your hand along the baffles to feel for any areas that do not feel as "fluffy" as the rest of the chamber...if that makes any sense. If you find such a thing, try "swatting" some of the down from the denser sections over to that low section.

Last but not least, give us a call. I am sure we can get your problem fixed. If we can't, it will be a first and we will make everything right with you...guaranteed. Again, sorry about your rough night.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Hey Stormcrow, thanks for the response! (well thanks to everyone else too) Don't worry I wasn't cursing you guys, I was just concerned with warming up, which I did. I appreciate the concern though and I'll definitely let you know how I fare next time I hang.

I'll check those things for sure. I wonder if I cranked those end cords too tight. I already tied a knot in the suspension to tighten it up and I did feel under me to make sure it was touching the hammock. I didn't check the down distribution at all so I'll do that next time. Now I really want to go out tomorrow night so I can have some results to pass along. I'd go tonight but work is paying for a hotel and I find that hard to resist. Besides there aren't any nice places to camp near the office I need to visit tomorrow.

It's unfortunate that the nearest weather station is quite far away from where I camped so I don't know the exact temperature I experienced. Maybe I'll pick up a little thermometer so I can check it myself next time.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    A little $10 thermo can really help gauge what temp you are at. Everyone else has said what I would say. It is funny, the learning curve for hammocks seams to be larger, but the end results are so much better than a tent. I've only been hanging for a year and I'm still figuring things out. Good luck!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I've had bad nights in tents too. Air mattresses that deflated until I was on the ground and cold. Bad site selection with roots / rocks poking me. Rain making little ponds in the corner of the tent. Worse... the time I used a tarp as a ground sheet and folded it such that it became a wading pool when it rained that night. Luckily I learned from those experiences to the point where I can "comfortably" tent camp. I put that in quotes because it's still lying on the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    I've had bad nights in tents too. Air mattresses that deflated until I was on the ground and cold. Bad site selection with roots / rocks poking me. Rain making little ponds in the corner of the tent. Worse... the time I used a tarp as a ground sheet and folded it such that it became a wading pool when it rained that night. Luckily I learned from those experiences to the point where I can "comfortably" tent camp. I put that in quotes because it's still lying on the ground.
    And that's why I went to hammocks . But ditto what every one else said. I've slept in those temps with a summer phoenix and burrow in my skives and have stayed warm so something def dosent add up. I've also taken my 3 season incubator and burrow down to the teens with long johns, socks ,light weight top layer and black rock hat. If your face get's cold may I suggest one of those neoprene masks that wrap around your face. That's what I do in the winter. But good luck on your next test hang and look forward to hearing how it turns out.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I've had terrible luck getting my 3 season up tight underneath. not the fault of uq design but i think it is the way i lay and sleep (which is very active) finally i ran shock cord down both side and really crank it tight as wwell as the ends. now? warm blissful sleep. down to 35. with a 3 season.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Alrighty, here goes! I picked up a cheap thermometer and I picked a camp site. I'll report back in the morning.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    My little $3 thermometer read 10 celcius, approx 50 f when I went to bed. That was around midnight. I checked and rechecked the uq tension. Seemed fine. I loosened the end gathers a bit like Stormcrow suggested. I also did some redistributing of the down. It definitely felt like the ends had more than the middle. By the time I was done, the quilt had lofted up quite nicely.
    My sleep was certainly warmer than the other night. I wore a tshirt, jeans, and regular socks. I forgot my toque at home so I improvised one with a t shirt. Turned out I didn't need it so took it off after an hour or so. I felt like I had a little bit of cool hitting one butt cheek. Maybe I missed that spot with the down move. I was wondering too if my hammock's calf ridge could have caused that... So not really cold but gentle pain. Just a theory and maybe out to lunch.
    I think my issue was a case off noobitis. This is my first down underquilt. I have one more question though. Is there a head and foot to the Incubator? I've been hanging mine with the knotted shock cord to the head end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast