1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thats nice.
    It took me a while to figure out how you kept the pole from sliding forward or backwards. I think I have seen a similar design where the pole went thru a short sleeve. I seen now you have the pole attached to the tarp ridgeline. The only downside being you cant hang the tent under the ridgeline (I go back and forth on whether I like the tarp under or over the RL)

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    The only downside being you cant hang the tent under the ridgeline (I go back and forth on whether I like the tarp under or over the RL)
    I have often wondered about this. In theory, couldn't you use an over the top ridgeline and also run a under tarp line to tie off too?

The line under the tarp could be super light and would only serve as a tie off point for the pole.

Make sense?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think most people sew a strip of grossgain to the peak of the tarp and simply tie the pole to the tarp. Of course, don't forget to seam-seal the stitching.

But this thread just goes to show that there's more than one way to skin a cat!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Strap/toggle/whoop
    I figured out if I put the ridge line up, attach the tarp, then pole, then cinch down the sides, the tarp stretched so well on the pole that I really don't need the pole stabilizer system. Those pics are from my first Water test right after I built it, so I wasn't very good at setting it up taut and I needed something to hold it in place, so I used the hooks that hold my doors open. These were the parts of the old tent that held the poles to the walls, so they worked perfect for holding the pole too. Yup...there's more'n one way to skin a rattlesnake...

Prince of River Rats...out
    I force no friend. I fear no Foe

Fide et Fortitudine

Arriba Abajo Para el Centro a Dentro...Salud!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Nice job. What are the chances of getting the pattern?
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Strap/toggle/whoop
    It was not made with a pattern, I just sewed two 5x12 pieces of ripstop together at the 12 foot side with a flat felled seam, ran grosgrain on the same seam and sewed it in with loops at each end for the ridge line clips and prussics. Then I rolled and sewed a hem on all sides and added tie outs to the center, two feet out from the center on each side, and all four corners to make doors. Then I set it up and treated it with DIY silnylon treatment (caulk and spirits). Only after this did I figure I wanted a pole mod instead of pull outs so I did that too. It is essentially a big ol' 10x12 rectangle with strategically placed tie outs to make it have doors. I could take more pictures if you want to see a specific part, but the thing is crazy simple; no fancy cat cuts, no crazy reinforcements, no pattern followed. I am an autodidact (one who teaches one's self things), so things just appear clear like drawings in my head and I just make them. I wouldn't do a rectangle tarp any differently, but my next tarp will be a hex tarp, so a bit more measuring is involved, but I'm staying away from those kitty cuts so I can just roll the edges to hem them instead of using grosgrain or something else.

Fide et Fortitudine

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I just double roll my cat cut edges. You just need to keep the rolls very small.
    Also, roll only about 3" at a time - here's the important part - make sure each segment is rolled parallel to the edge of the tarp for that 3" section.
    In other words, due to the curvature of the edge, the hem can be parallel to only a tiny portion of the edge.
    If you don't pay attention to this, you will see wrinkles forming in your hem.

I also do a two step hemming process where I fold once, sew, fold again, and sew a second time. No pins. No grossgain edging.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Pole Connection?

Patches,

Can you please elaborate a little more on the you're attaching the poles at their ends? It looks like a ring of some sort threaded around a key ring, but I've never seen anything like that before on the end of a tent pole. What's the purpose of the black grosgrain?

I tried something similar, but ended up using PVC pipe with a hole drilled in it for the pole and a slit to slide the PVC pipe over the tarp tie-out. Your method looks a little more secure.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just found your other thread...

Thanks for posting it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Strap/toggle/whoop

I'm glad people like the Idea

Those little black pieces of grosgrain were on the split rings when I removed them from the tent. I didn't find a use for them, so I tossed them later. So far, this thing has held up to a haboob (desert sand storm) really well. I'm not using any panel pulls as long as these things work for me. The best part is my parts are all aluminum too, so the added weight of the mod is small. It also is a no-sew mod, so It is removable...I'm just loving it. I now have figure nines at the corners and some new lightweight aluminum stakes, so I think it will be time for more pictures soon.

Prince of River Rats...out

Fide et Fortitudine

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12